Concealed Carry: good or bad idea

Options

Replies

• BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather live in a country that has some recourse if my government is tyrannical, or becomes that way.

Exactly.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Brb never going to America, wouldn't be able to trust anyone.

Its not the ones legally carrying that you can't trust....its all of those that carry illegally, or who "legally" cannot carry, but do anyway.

You also have to worry about the ones who can legally carry, but aren't competent with a gun. Requirements differ by state and just because you got the permit doesn't mean you know what you're doing or will exercise good judgment.

I am more worried about idiots that carry guns, legally or illegally. I know more idiots that legally have them personally.

You should associate yourself with a better group of people then.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    as a brit, i like our gun laws exactly how they are.

one man was killed, no bystanders were injured, the cops caught the perps.
    i'm not sure how a firefight with citizens in the middle of the street could have improved the outcome.

This, basically.

One man died. It was a tragedy. If the EDL lot who turned up shortly after had been equipped with firearms we would be mourning the loss of a lot more than one innocent life. I'm aware that guns don't kill people, but they certainly make it a lot easier.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Brb never going to America, wouldn't be able to trust anyone.

Its not the ones legally carrying that you can't trust....its all of those that carry illegally, or who "legally" cannot carry, but do anyway.

You also have to worry about the ones who can legally carry, but aren't competent with a gun. Requirements differ by state and just because you got the permit doesn't mean you know what you're doing or will exercise good judgment.

I am more worried about idiots that carry guns, legally or illegally. I know more idiots that legally have them personally.

You should associate yourself with a better group of people then.

I didn't say I associate with them lol
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather live in a country that has some recourse if my government is tyrannical, or becomes that way.

I hear Syria's lovely this time of year.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I live in an extremely liberal state and consider myself a liberal. That being said, I am also a proud gun owner with a concealed weapons permit. I was raised that guns are tools not toys and if you own a weapon you need to be prepared to use it, but never to play around with it. It's all about being responsible. Criminals will always find a way to get weapons. I just would rather be prepared and armed and ready to protect myself and my family if it should ever come to that. I have never had to fire my weapon (other than at the gun range) but if I was put in a situation where my life or the lives of people I love were at stake, you better believe I wouldn't even think twice.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    btw I have many many democrats that I have brought over to my side. We have plenty of cookies and milk and go to the gun ranges frequently.

no in all seriousness. I have had many co-workers that were so biased and misinformed and ignorant. I finally challenged them and brought them to a gun range. 98% of everyone I have ever brought to a gun range ends up buying a gun.

the problem is you cant argue with someone's imagination. This is where many of the anti's are.... in imagination world. I have a spreadsheet I created from FBI statics about gun violence, population, etc. While the news outlets would make you believe violent crimes and gun violence is on the rise, it has drastically declined while our population has steadily increased. I have taken it a step further and compared violent crime rates from the UK since the ban, and compared those rates to the US violent crime rates. SHOCKING to say the least. Oh and I got the UK crime statics from home office (UK's FBI)
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I feel safer knowing only police and criminals carry firearms, I'm Canadian bTW.

I hope this is a joke.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    as a brit, i like our gun laws exactly how they are.

one man was killed, no bystanders were injured, the cops caught the perps.
    i'm not sure how a firefight with citizens in the middle of the street could have improved the outcome.

This, basically.

One man died. It was a tragedy. If the EDL lot who turned up shortly after had been equipped with firearms we would be mourning the loss of a lot more than one innocent life. I'm aware that guns don't kill people, but they certainly make it a lot easier.
    Ya, all of this.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    btw I have many many democrats that I have brought over to my side. We have plenty of cookies and milk and go to the gun ranges frequently.

no in all seriousness. I have had many co-workers that were so biased and misinformed and ignorant. I finally challenged them and brought them to a gun range. 98% of everyone I have ever brought to a gun range ends up buying a gun.

the problem is you cant argue with someone's imagination. This is where many of the anti's are.... in imagination world. I have a spreadsheet I created from FBI statics about gun violence, population, etc. While the news outlets would make you believe violent crimes and gun violence is on the rise, it has drastically declined while our population has steadily increased. I have taken it a step further and compared violent crime rates from the UK since the ban, and compared those rates to the US violent crime rates. SHOCKING to say the least. Oh and I got the UK crime statics from home office (UK's FBI)

I think I love you.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    The only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I'm armed, educated and proud.

I just don't understand this mentality. :noway:
    Unarmed, educated and proud.

How do you suggest stopping a criminal/murderer that has a gun? Give him a mean talking to?
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Since 1986, several states have enacted some form of Concealed Carry legislation.
    I have not researched studies citing whether this legislation has had a significant impact on violent crime in the US.
    I have briefly perused a few studies regarding the effect of gun control on "justified" murders in Britain.
    In light of the recent murder in Britain and the lament of lack of a legally armed citizen to shoot this barbarian, what do you think?

6oz8nc.gif

Chicago has the worst crime rate and the only state left (not for long) to NOT have conceal carry. Things that make you go hmmmmm

Don't forget DC.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    good idea
  • samischell
    samischell Posts: 40
    Options
    So i'm from MOntana. My family does not carry however My 8 year old has been using 22 she has been in gun safety for years it is kept at my uncles house in a gun safe and he has no children. It is used at a shooting range and my 4 yr started gun safety this year with bb guns. It is important that all know how to safely use and handle them. If kids and family are taught from ayoung age the danger and proper use they will not be a novelty to play with or use to harm someone. We don't have guns in our house with our small children but we do teach them how to use them and take them to the shooting range to target shoot.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I live in Florida. I've never known a world without concealed carry.
    We're also home to the nation's most idiotic or horrific crimes and the Stand Your Ground law where I could literally shoot you from my car's front seat if you began to approach me, and I stand a good chance at getting away with it.

So - I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it.

I would look a little more into that. Don't think you can just shoot people for casually approaching you.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have my gun permit.

I'm in Chicagoland. I believe the gangbangers around here would think twice before shooting if they knew there was a strong possibility they'd get shot back at. People think conceal and carry will make everyone go buckwild and there'll be Wild, Wild West shootouts everywhere. No, I think it will make people with the stupidest of brains even more cautious about who they try to shoot (at or start trouble with).

I don't plan on coming back to this debate, so if you disagree, I'm fine with it. That was just my two cents. PEACE! :glasses:
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Concealed carry is a great idea. I personally think anyone with the permit should be able to carry in "no gun" zones as well. To me ,those are a terrible idea to begin with...what an invitation for someone to go in and shoot a bunch of people with little resistance :/
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

And what eaxctly were your findings?
    This is part of what I want to hear.
    Can you give me figures?
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

I am 100% liberal but actually enjoy going to the gun range. I wont purchase one while my children are in my home still, and I agree crime rates are declining but do you think it is a result of more people owning weapons?
This discussion has been closed.