STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    excuse me? i eat 1200 calories and lose weight just fine everyone is different not everyone needs to eat 2000 calories to lose weight!

This! The smaller a person is, the less calories they need. We all have different bodies and different needs. I'm losing two pounds a week and seldom go over 1000 calories a day. It works for me. I eat clean, I work out. I don't need as many calories to function as someone twice my weight.

I don't eat 2000 when I'm not trying to lose. I'd be obese in three months!

I don't go hungry, just the opposite. I couldn't finish my dinner last night. Personally I think a lot of people need to learn to stop eating when they are full instead of always cleaning their plate.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    So funny because someone posted something very similar to this and everyone was like YEAH!! and now someone else posts it and everyone is like UM NO!

[img]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad263/strawberryturtle/GIF Album/tumblr_lm1uxuLml31qh9y1d.gif[/img]
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I only take offense to this because every website people have given me to determine my needed calorie intake gives me between 1200-1300 calories. I still eat 6 times a day, usually. If I'm still hungry, I will eat more. If I work out, I will eat more. If I'm over or under by a bit, no big deal. It's just a guideline. I really don't understand why you get so upset at others for the way they eat or exercise... Do they get all upset at you?? If someone on your friends list is complaining about being hungry, tell them to eat. Maybe give them a low cal, high protein, snack idea.... If it annoys you this much, delete them. Every one is here to better themselves. No one deserves to be put down and made to feel like even when they try to make themselves better and healthier, they still aren't doing it right.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    excuse me? i eat 1200 calories and lose weight just fine everyone is different not everyone needs to eat 2000 calories to lose weight!

This! The smaller a person is, the less calories they need. We all have different bodies and different needs. I'm losing two pounds a week and seldom go over 1000 calories a day. It works for me. I eat clean, I work out. I don't need as many calories to function as someone twice my weight.

thank you! i hate when i see people attack people for eating less then 2000 calories im only 5 foot if i ate that i would be huge!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    So funny because someone posted something very similar to this and everyone was like YEAH!! and now someone else posts it and everyone is like UM NO!

[img]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad263/strawberryturtle/GIF Album/tumblr_lm1uxuLml31qh9y1d.gif[/img]

Quoting because this gif is awesome!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.

^^^ this!

I don't understand why people are so quick to defend 1200 calorie diets against the advice "you know, the vast majority of people can eat more than that and still lose weight, and lose it more easily without the risk of bingeing, and actually maintain their goal weight more easily when they get there". but they are. maybe they enjoy self-deprivation.

a small minority of people, e.g. short, small framed, sedentary older women, will find that 1200 cals/day is the right amount to lose on, because their TDEE may be very low. But it worries me when 20 somethings who are doing loads of exercise are eating only 1200 cals/day
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options

^^^ this!

I don't understand why people are so quick to defend 1200 calorie diets against the advice "you know, the vast majority of people can eat more than that and still lose weight, and lose it more easily without the risk of bingeing, and actually maintain their goal weight more easily when they get there". but they are. maybe they enjoy self-deprivation.

a small minority of people, e.g. short, small framed, sedentary older women, will find that 1200 cals/day is the right amount to lose on, because their TDEE may be very low. But it worries me when 20 somethings who are doing loads of exercise are eating only 1200 cals/day

im short and small framed but i workout a lot im in my 20s and i eat 12-14 a day and im not hungry so i dunno why you feel like everyone needs to eat more then that and i dont binge if i want something i eat it i just eat a smaller portion of it!
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?
    Why put yourself in starvation mode?
    Why set 1200 calories as your goal - and even then under-eat?
    Why don't you eat your exercise calories?
    Why don't you plan ahead?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing - what should I do?
    I haven't lost in six weeks - help!!
    I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
    I want chocolate!!
    Help me - I'm going to binge!!
    I hate veggies!!

Read, Ask Questions, Listen and Learn!!
    It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I'm taking it slowly. I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week, and expect to post another loss.
    Don't know if it will be two pounds, five pounds or ten - I only weigh once a month - so I'm confident it will be a loss because I've been eating pretty much on target - over a little bit a day here or there - but not over by much and only two or three days this month.
    I'm not hungry; I'm not starving myself; I eat foods I like and enjoy.
    I don't get support from SO - but I come here and get it.
    I plan ahead.
    I work my plan. :blushing:
    Life happens - if I have a bad day, I don't agonize over it.
    I know it's not going to happen overnight.
    I'm happy!

Go with the flow! :flowerforyou:

Don't worry - be happy! :bigsmile:

With all due respect, your post comes off a little sanctimonious and snarky! If people who post whining and complaining about their lack of progress bother you ignore them, block the user or don't read the forums-as you say, it isn't rocket science!

I agree with other posters who have said what works for some may not work for others, 1200 calories a day has worked rather well for me and I am not hangry, hungry or angry! I do what works for me, work at it everyday, plan ahead/pre log meals to ensure I get the right amount of nutrients and hit my macros. I am only 5 ft tall and I workout three times a week on my TRX Tension Straps and go for walks outside when I feel like it, I used to go downstairs and hit the treadmill, but I find it very boring and I would rather workout in other ways, I am going to try yoga in the fall for instance.

I wish you all the success in the world, but please don't assume you know what works for everyone, I don't want to see anyone hurt or deprive themselves in their quest to get healthy and fit either, but everyone has a different lifestyle and needs and some just haven't found what works for them yet!

You do you, and I'll do me that way we can both be happy!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Starvation mode is a term that is abused on here...True starvation mode is in fact, when your body is actually starving (i.e. feeding on internal organs after it has burned through all else to survive). Look it up...it's not a magical occurrence as soon as you eat less than 1300 calories.

"starvation mode" is not a scientific term, and so there is no scientific definition of "starvation mode" - I personally hate the term because it's very misleading, and also very abused. People say the most ridiculous things like "if you don't eat every 3 hrs your body goes into starvation mode" or they claim that starvation mode will halt weight loss completely even though calories in don't equal calories out, etc. But there is "adaptive thermogenesis" and the body has various responses to insufficient food intake that kick in long before it starts digesting its own internal organs.

Here's a really good article clarifying it: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2012/12/starvation-mode-revisited.php

Additionally, long before any metabolic changes take place in the body, bingeing and excessive hunger is what makes a lot of people screw up their diets if they eat too little. these are basic survival responses from eating too little, that kick in pretty early on, and make compliance to a diet of insufficient food very difficult. What I don't understand is why people put themselves through such difficulty when a) they don't have to and b) it's healthier not to and c) when advised of this they attack the ones doing the advising rather than realising this is information that may actually make their lives a whole lot easier.

BTW I totally agree re no magic number, how many calories someone needs to eat depends on their size and lean body mass. Eating too big a deficit is the problem, not any particular number. I have no idea why 1200 cals/day is thrown around as a magic number, because someone who is big with a high lean body mass would risk the problems described in the above article at a considerably higher number of calories than 1200. And some very small, sedentary, older people will be just fine on 1200 cals/day and this may be the perfect number for them to lose weight at a slow and sustainable rate.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

^^^ this!

im short and small framed but i workout a lot im in my 20s and i eat 12-14 a day and im not hungry so i dunno why you feel like everyone needs to eat more then that and i dont binge if i want something i eat it i just eat a smaller portion of it!

I don't really care what you as an individual choose to do when you have all this information about metabolism and how much you should eat for your size and activity levels. However there are a lot of people out there who simply do not know that they can eat more and have a much easier time losing weight, and actually be healthier and find maintenance a lot easier.

Anyway, if you're here to defend eating 1200 calories a day and how it's worked for you, go right ahead and do that. I will carrying telling people that the vast majority can eat considerably more than that and still lose weight, because it's true.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
    I want chocolate!!
    I hate veggies!!

It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I'm taking it slowly. I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week, and expect to post another loss.
    Don't know if it will be two pounds, five pounds or ten - I only weigh once a month - so I'm confident it will be a loss because I've been eating pretty much on target - over a little bit a day here or there - but not over by much and only two or three days this month.
    I plan ahead.
    I'm happy!

I think you think I give a flying fig what you think I should do. Really? I've eaten this way for 18 months and please tell me how much I've lost? Oh and in those 18 months this is the FIRST time I've ever lost less than 8lbs.This is also the first time I've stalled. Do what you do but leave me to do as I do. I don't pretend to know what works for you so please don't pretend to know what works for me. Grrrrrr I seriously hate it when someone pretends they have all the answers for EVERYONE.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that the OP is the hangry one.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

I'm sorry if my post offended you - I certainly didn't intend to ruffle feathers or insult anyone. And I didn't mean to sound preachy.

I'm just happy I found MFP, and I'm thankful for all the information people have shared, and the support offered. I guess I just wanted to share too.

So again - my apologies to anyone I've insulted. And thank you to others who have commented. :flowerforyou:

Mary
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnftxccXNB1qc491vo1_500.jpg
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't tell other people what to do. People will eat however they want. You assume a lot about people.
    See you in a months time posting on the forums asking why you have hit a weight loss plateau :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Your post is very sensible. Thank you.

Agreed, but people will argue with it. Just because.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

I'm sorry if my post offended you - I certainly didn't intend to ruffle feathers or insult anyone. And I didn't mean to sound preachy.

I'm just happy I found MFP, and I'm thankful for all the information people have shared, and the support offered. I guess I just wanted to share too.

So again - my apologies to anyone I've insulted. And thank you to others who have commented. :flowerforyou:

Mary

I don't think that reminding people that they don't have to be hungry all the time to lose weight is being preachy. For some reason, some people appear to have overreacted to what seemed like a well-intentioned post, to me.

You didn't do anything wrong.
  • DMJS
    DMJS Posts: 46
    Options
    I had the mind set, IF 1200 cals. is good for me then LESS would be better. Not the case for me. I quit posting and quit trying because I thought this thing doesn't work. I GAINED ALL MY WEIGHT BACK. Then my friend told me if I do nothing else but eat less than (BM something) than I had no reason not to loose the weight, unless something else is wrong. So I came back and read that I must never go under the 1200 calories. This gives me the freedom to eat light and not exercise or exercise and eat what I want to be satisfied. I do get hungrier if I'm working out. I don't starve myself but I also don't stuff myself when I'm not hungry. I have had to re-evaluate what I've eaten to make sure I get enough. ( I don't want to over do it because of forgetting to post something) I have thought I was under and ate something else then realize I forgot the tortilla I ate. NOW I AM SEEING RESULTS! I hope this makes sense and helps someone.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think you think I give a flying fig what you think I should do. Really? I've eaten this way for 18 months and please tell me how much I've lost? Oh and in those 18 months this is the FIRST time I've ever lost less than 8lbs.This is also the first time I've stalled. Do what you do but leave me to do as I do. I don't pretend to know what works for you so please don't pretend to know what works for me. Grrrrrr I seriously hate it when someone pretends they have all the answers for EVERYONE.
    I think you assume everything is about you and need to chill out, the amount of posts of people saying they can't lose weight on 1200 calories is ridiculous and I agree with everything in the post because a lot of those people argue back saying eating 1200 is fine. It also seems more like it was aimed at those who don't eat back calories which I'm pretty sure you do.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Why go hungry?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I want chocolate!!
    I hate veggies!!

It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I plan ahead.
    I'm happy!

STOP,,,,,,, just stop.