Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options

Replies

• eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have two kids. Who the hell brings a two year old to a SPA for a haircut? You go to one of those strip mall places where every other kid is yelling too. I enjoy spa days a lot. I would be PISSED if I was spending a ton of money to hear a kid scream. I don't want to hear my own kids scream.

This has nothing to do with autism, and everything to do with time and place. And a spa with a little kid, no matter if he's on the spectrum, is an inappropriate place. What it is was a very fancy restaurant, or the theatre, would be still be so accommodating?

This is not about autism for me one iota.

My thoughts exactly. If the owner acted exactly as was described, it was inappropriate of her to do so. However, she would not have been out of line to calmly and quietly explain to the parent that because of that disruption they would have to find another place for the child's haircuts in the future - maybe she could have even referred them somewhere more appropriate. The appointment really never should have been made in the first place.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, hundreds of kids are dying of starvation and AIDS - but who cares - they're not on Facebook.

You could post about it.

Pragmatist
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think it is incumbent upon the parents of autistic children to call ahead first and make special arrangements and/or seek out barbers, dentists, etc. who are experienced with this sort of thing. The ball park here even has a night where parents can bring autistic children to prepare them for the stress of coming to a game.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am the mother of an Autistic child. I obey the law because I know that one day I will use one of my three strikes on kicking the *kitten* of whoever attempts to make my son feel bad for something that he cannot control. No really, my husband and I have a Bail savings fund. Because God help that person.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    some people really don't think, which is sad. I wonder if the owner felt awful after having done it. I'm not saying what she did was ok, because it was not, but think about this... did she KNOW the boy was autistic? I'm thinking she probably didn't and maybe felt pretty awful and embarrassed about her blow up after the fact.

Yes, Bry. She knew. She knew the client and they had been there before.

in that case, it is ridiculous that she knew and behaved that way. I only read the OP and not the comments in response. That deeply saddens me that a grown adult would throw such a fit over an autistic child, especially when she knew that was the case.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The owner was wrong to yell, yes, whether or not the child was autistic doesn't matter. The owner was wrong to yell. On the other hand, perhaps a spa wasn't the right place to bring a child, whether or not the child is autistic. I would be unhappy if I were trying to enjoy my spa time with a child screaming in the background. That is precisely the type of thing I'm looking to avoid at a spa. There needs to be some consideration for all the patrons at the spa.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...

If you don't want children there you should have a sign that says so!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Who says it is upscale. If she is paying for her and her friend to get manicures it can easily run
    $100 for two, anywhere. Obviously, if the child is getting his haircut then kids are allowed. You are right
    her business and her rules, but also her consequences for her intolerance and lack of finesse. I don't think
    that she was wrong for addressing the fact that she had a screaming kid that may be disturbing other
    patrons but how she was wrong in how she addressed it. My guess that it may ruin her business or it will at
    least take a hard hit due to it.
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Who the hell brings a two year old to a SPA for a haircut?

I've explained this already, but it's a busy thread, so perhaps you missed it. Some children with autism get easily overstimulated, which will cause a meltdown. Kid friendly places like Supercuts and those in the mall are overstimulating for some children with autism. My son, for example, does much better in a "spa type" setting. However, I make sure the owner/manager/stylist knows he could start acting out. If he does, we try to calm him down or take him outside. Having someone come up and yell at me while I'm trying to calm him down is not going to help. It's going to create an even greater scene for the other customers. From what I understand, this owner knows the family and knows the child has autism. Even if the child didn't, yelling at the mother is only going to make things worse for the child's behavior.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    some people really don't think, which is sad. I wonder if the owner felt awful after having done it. I'm not saying what she did was ok, because it was not, but think about this... did she KNOW the boy was autistic? I'm thinking she probably didn't and maybe felt pretty awful and embarrassed about her blow up after the fact.

Yes, Bry. She knew. She knew the client and they had been there before.
    Says internet poster. MUST be true?
  • wineplease
    Options
    I am the mother of an Autistic child. I obey the law because I know that one day I will use one of my three strikes on kicking the *kitten* of whoever attempts to make my son feel bad for something that he cannot control. No really, my husband and I have a Bail savings fund. Because God help that person.

I like you!
  • wineplease
    Options
    Says internet poster. MUST be true?
    No. I've read other articles. Other employees of the spa are speaking out.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The spa took the appointment knowing who the kid was!

How do you know this?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The spa took the appointment knowing who the kid was!

How do you know this?

See above. Says internet posters and articles internet poster saw.
  • Brianna72994
    Brianna72994 Posts: 887
    Options
    This story touched me ALOT since I have a 4 year old autistic brother (who HATES to get his haircut and probably would have reacted the same way). And that poor mom.. It wasnt her fault. I hope that place goes out of business because that's so inappropriate!
  • liliawodna
    liliawodna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been there and she has been rude with me as well...and I have no kids.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many of the negative reviews on Google, Yelp, etc. were posted by people who admit they weren't there and that they heard the story on Facebook, case in point from Google +:
    NEVER EVER GO TO THIS PLACE!!!!! I just heard the story about how the owner of this spa horribly yelled at a woman who had an autistic child in her spa. The child was 2 to 3 years old, getting his hair cut but would not stop crying because.....well he is a small child and I remember how upset my son was when he was that small getting his haircut. Kids will be like that...and to yell at a mother in public is bad enough but to do that to a mother with a special needs child....that is terrible! LIKE I SAID...I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THIS PLACE, DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS LOCATED BUT I WILL NEVER GO THERE!!!

Unless you've actually witnessed or experienced terrible service, you have no right to post a negative review. No credibility, mmmkay?
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think the owner and the mom are at fault, just my opinion though. The owner should have never yelled at a customer regardless, and I wouldn't take my child to a place that isn't child friendly and seeing as how that spa doesn't list child prices on anything, then I'm assuming they don't normally do a lot of kid cuts.