confronted girl-mcdonalds-ceo we-dont-sell-junk-food

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the mother needs to teach her child that cartoon characters are not real and have nothing whatsoever to do with healthy eating. A child that age should already know that. More parenting and less advocating and exploiting might be in order here.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Let's say the absolute truth... If eating anything over a long period of time is guaranteed to almost kill you, guess what -- it's junk food...

That is what McDonalds food is junk as far as I'm concerned... And by the way, I am not lazy... I workout five to six days a week... I know one thing I can go through an hour Zumba or cardiodance workout better than most of you...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Let's say the absolute truth... If eating anything over a long period of time is guaranteed to almost kill you, guess what -- it's junk food...

That is what McDonalds food is junk as far as I'm concerned...

"guaranteed to almost kill you" Does that mean we get money back if we actually die?

ETA: No way you could out Zumba me.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I can understand that a parent wants to be an advocate of "healthy"eating to their children, but personally I think a 9 year old is too young to be blasting the CEO of McDonalds. Especially when she has to be coached by the mother... It's almost like the mother is allowing her daughter to learn at an early age how to bully people into believe that her ways are the BEST ways.

"Robertson’s mother Kia, 36, is an activist with the group Corporate Accountability International, and an avid food blogger who involves her daughter in a series of YouTube videos about healthy eating. She helped coach her daughter through the confrontation."

Personally, I agree, everything in moderation. Is McDonald's the healthiest choice around? Probably not, but they do try to make varieties of foods that are healthier. If you don't like it, don't want to eat it, then don't. No one is making you walk in the restaurant or the drive thru FORCING you to eat the food.

But there's a lot to be said about parent's responsibility in teaching the kids the importance of trying new foods. There are kids out there that only like to eat Chicken Nuggets, French Fries, Macaroni and Cheese because 1) it's an easy meal to make 2) kids are picky 3) or as parents we work and are trucking kids to a variety of locations and it's a quick fix on the go.

I'm fortunate that my kids love their fruits and veggies and trade off the french fries in favor of the apple slices when they do get the "treat" of going to McDonalds.

A friend of mine, now an adult never had Chinese, Italian, Indian etc go to nandos or a Chinese restaurant had he would have steak! Never cooked at home. Now married I hope.he eats more.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

That is what McDonalds food is junk as far as I'm concerned...

"guaranteed to almost kill you" Does that mean we get money back if we actually die?
    :laugh: Wording's a bit off there. Kind of made me think of this:
    quickmemebrianfantana.jpg
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options

That is what McDonalds food is junk as far as I'm concerned... And by the way, I am not lazy... I workout five to six days a week... I know one thing I can go through an hour Zumba or cardiodance workout better than most of you...

Anything in excess over a long period of time will kill you. If I only ate lettuce I'd die of starvation and lack of nutrients. ;-)

I don't understand what your lack of laziness has to do with this thread.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I just read the article.
    The 9 yr old incorporated in her story
    1.her mother teaches her healthy eating habits and they do cooking videos
    This little Girl has a passion for cooking and is healthy
    I do not believe her mother "made" her say anything.

2. The Ceo included that his children also ate at McDonald's

He is also trying to incorporate more healthy options.

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT PPL? You have to find fault with something? I guess misery loves company.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just read the article.
    The 9 yr old incorporated in her story
    1.her mother teaches her healthy eating habits and they do cooking videos
    This little Girl has a passion for cooking and is healthy
    I do not believe her mother "made" her say anything.

2. The Ceo included that his children also ate at McDonald's

He is also trying to incorporate more healthy options.

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT PPL? You have to find fault with something? I guess misery loves company.

An example of the issue is that she states that people are talking against is '“Something I don’t think is fair is when big companies try to trick kids into eating food that isn’t good for them by using toys and cartoon characters,” . That and the CSPI statements.

Most of us aren't saying that they're not doing efforts and that the child isn't showing a good example with her cooking videos. It's the stating that establishments 'trick' kids, that's the issue.

Kids aren't 'tricked' into eating food because of toys. They are inticed to go to establishments like McDonald's by these toys, but what they eat is the responsibility of the parents, not the restaurants responsibility. You can go to McD's and have healthier food choices than a burger and fries and soda. It's the parents responsibility to feed their children those better foods, it's not 'tricking' anyone. It's also not McDonald's fault that parent's chose to feed their children there... it's the parent's decision to feed the kids nutritious food.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think its total BS! Since when it is up to the retailers to monitor what our children are eating??? the last time I looked that's why we are the PARENTS! McDonalds has made some great changes to their menus to ensure for healthier eating
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    It is not just nutrition people! Most parents in America (and yes I am American) do not teach their children any proper life skills. That is why our prison system is over loaded. Ask any body under 40 who is on probation or just got out of jail/prison. 9 out of 10 of them blame the state,lawyer or police officer. They do not realize that they did wrong to start with. Just like a 3 year old screaming "your mean" when you tell them no.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you drink to much water it could kill you. by your defintion water is "junk food"
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    We used to go to McDonald's about every other Saturday. It certainly was not why I got fat. There was plenty of other behavior more damaging than a burger and fries every couple of weeks.

Now, I am breaking the bad habits around portion size and food selection. But that doesn't mean I don't occasionally have a burger and fries and fit it in on an extra activity day so it's a guilt free experience.

Moderation. Personal responsibility. Try it.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think that people should take personal responsibility for themselves and their children.

I agree 100%
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    If you drink to much water it could kill you. by your defintion water is "junk food"

If you drink too much water all at once. But over a long period of time, water will not kill you. McD's will.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

If you drink too much water all at once. But over a long period of time, water will not kill you. McD's will.
    in moderation mcd will not kill you over time.
    I think we are forgeting about a certain individual. "Don Gorske"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gorske
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Sure, treat your kids to mcdonalds once and a while, big deal?

It's an issue though when thats all they are eating - fatty, processed foods.

Take some damn responsability for yourself and your children.

^^ THIS. Also remember, most McD's have playgrounds for your children to play after they eat. I'd much rather take a child to McD's and let them play on the playground for 30 minutes after, then feed them pizza rolls and corn dogs and let them watch TV all day.

Don't let that fool you! Those playgrounds are a marketing ploy to have your child scream to stop there. There are playgrounds mostly in inner city mcdonald's, not in more affluent areas. It is not only a way to get your kid in there, but to get you to stay and keep getting more food. It is disgusting. Yes, there is always personal accountability, but don't give McD a bunch of credit for being socially responsible.

You know... I wasn't gonna reply BUT..... This is just all around BAD parenting. If you kid screams for something, they shouldn't get it. Mom is an attention *kitten*, and is pushing it on baby girl. I have an 8 year old son we are "healthy and strong" 95% of the time, but every once in a while its to MCD to get "fat and happy". Its all about raising your babies to KNOW the difference.... so they can raise their babies to KNOW the difference. I have had friends (remember.. TX...SOUTH) who wouldn't eat any veg except "French fires, ketchup and pickles" because the food we eat has all the added vitamins and minerals!! wow.... and their parents had gastric bypass... and are still pretty dang big, but they can't help it because they all got the "fat" gene.... education = success... RANT OVER... sorry:flowerforyou:
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Most parents in America (and yes I am American) do not teach their children any proper life skills. That is why our prison system is over loaded.
    Pretty sure that's not statistical fact. There are many reasons our prison system is overloaded that have nothing to do with how many parents taught their kids not to lie, cheat, steal and kill.
    Ask any body under 40 who is on probation or just got out of jail/prison. 9 out of 10 of them blame the state,lawyer or police officer. They do not realize that they did wrong to start with.
    Not their parents. It's about personal responsiblity, not blaming someone else. They know damn well its their own fault. They blame someone else because they can.

Working at Burger King for 20 years is not why I got fat. I got fat because I was too stupid to burn off the calories I was eating and didn't understand nutrition. Now I know better. Moderation, moderation, moderation!
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    The parents should have taught them to take responsibility for their own actions!:noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ex·ploi·ta·tion (ksploi-tshn)
    n.
    1. The act of employing to the greatest possible advantage: exploitation of copper deposits.
    2. Utilization of another person or group for selfish purposes: exploitation of unwary consumers.
    3. An advertising or a publicity program.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

in moderation mcd will not kill you over time.
    I think we are forgeting about a certain individual. "Don Gorske"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gorske

Well we are not talking about moderation. Read the above posts again if you need clarity.