STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    well said, she is not saying you have to eat her way she is putting her point of view, that!s all

So, tthe STOP Under-Eating Folks subject line is meant to contain an implied "If you want"??? :huh:
  • SychoCyclist
    Options
    I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?
    Why put yourself in starvation mode?
    Why set 1200 calories as your goal - and even then under-eat?
    Why don't you eat your exercise calories?
    Why don't you plan ahead?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing - what should I do?
    I haven't lost in six weeks - help!!
    I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
    I want chocolate!!
    Help me - I'm going to binge!!
    I hate veggies!!

Read, Ask Questions, Listen and Learn!!
    It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I'm taking it slowly. I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week, and expect to post another loss.
    Don't know if it will be two pounds, five pounds or ten - I only weigh once a month - so I'm confident it will be a loss because I've been eating pretty much on target - over a little bit a day here or there - but not over by much and only two or three days this month.
    I'm not hungry; I'm not starving myself; I eat foods I like and enjoy.
    I don't get support from SO - but I come here and get it.
    I plan ahead.
    I work my plan. :blushing:
    Life happens - if I have a bad day, I don't agonize over it.
    I know it's not going to happen overnight.
    I'm happy!

Go with the flow! :flowerforyou:

Don't worry - be happy! :bigsmile:

Awesome post, love it. I am disgusted by people who maintain below 2000 calories as well. I'm 5'10, 145, and male and I maintain on 3500-4000 easily. For me, it's the type of calories and timing more than any numbers. I want to make sure I don't lose any more weight while I am active (which seems to be happening below 3000 calories), so I am using this thing. Just be more active, eat when hungry, and avoid processed/salty foods.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
    I want chocolate!!
    I hate veggies!!

It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I'm taking it slowly. I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week, and expect to post another loss.
    Don't know if it will be two pounds, five pounds or ten - I only weigh once a month - so I'm confident it will be a loss because I've been eating pretty much on target - over a little bit a day here or there - but not over by much and only two or three days this month.
    I plan ahead.
    I'm happy!

Awesome post, love it. I am disgusted by people who maintain below 2000 calories as well. I'm 5'10, 145, and male and I maintain on 3500-4000 easily. For me, it's the type of calories and timing more than any numbers. I want to make sure I don't lose any more weight while I am active (which seems to be happening below 3000 calories), so I am using this thing. Just be more active, eat when hungry, and avoid processed/salty foods.

And I'm 5'2, female, and it's physically painful for me to eat over 1500. I lose easily at 1200. Not everyone is you or your body type- and other people have different physical and nutritional needs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost in 6 weeks. Heck, I haven't lost in 6 months. I do not under-eat. Dropping calories now to lose. It sucks. I want to eat more.

Is it possible you had been chronically under-eating leading up to your 6 month plateau? If so, you may want to consider increasing calories anyhow knowing you will gain a little in the short-term. Our bodies do an amazing job of adapting to what we give them, especially over a long period of time.

ETA:

We now interrupt this mostly rational discussion for a grenade thrown by a new MFP member who just joined today:
    No, just an eating disorder in denial.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    STOP 'Tellin' Folks 'What to do'!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    STOP 'Tellin' Folks 'What to do'!

Alternatively, folks can decide for themselves whether or not to comply with OP's directive if they so choose.

(I prefer that approach.)
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Why go hungry?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I want chocolate!!
    I hate veggies!!

It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I plan ahead.
    I'm happy!

And I'm 5'2, female, and it's physically painful for me to eat over 1500. I lose easily at 1200. Not everyone is you or your body type- and other people have different physical and nutritional needs.

No, just an eating disorder in denial.

Or, you know, just a small person. We do exist. I've been eating like this my entire adult life- only recently gained an excessive amount of weight (20lbs) from my usual 115.

Small people require less fuel. It's not that difficult of a concept.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OK I just wanna go back to OP and commend her on a great post in particular how she focuses on the ACTIONS that will get her the results, rather than on just the results. I suspect that when one focuses on the results the actions become more tedious and you just want it to be over and then the results are so built up in your head that if they aren't what you set your heart on, it's dissappointing. So just wanted to highlight that part of her OP. :flowerforyou: OP, I think you are on your way to amazing things!

This!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Why go hungry?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I want chocolate!!
    I hate veggies!!

It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I plan ahead.
    I'm happy!

You are a cyclists... If she ate as much as you at her current activity level, she'd constantly gain.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    38297138.jpg

'I lose easily at 1200 I lose easily at 1200 I lose easily at 1200 I lose easily at 1200 I lose easily at 1200'
  • mommashell39
    mommashell39 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice
  • mommashell39
    Options
    I definetly noticed that is is way harder to lose weight now that i'm over 40!!!
    :cry:
  • mommashell39
    Options
    I'm shocked at how many excersice points i gain!!! I don't think i can eat anywhere near that number!!!
    :noway:
  • coozine
    coozine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 150lbs. 1200 to me is going to be a lot different than 1200 for someone who is much taller and weighs much more than me. The only way I lose weight is if I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I've tried upping calories and it just didn't work. At all. And 1200 calories from lean meat, vegetables, etc is going to go a lot farther for me than 1800 calories of junk, just because I 'need' extra calories. I'm not hungry. I'm losing at a decent pace. I control my cravings. If eating more works for you, awesome, enjoy. But everyone's body is not the same. Please realize this and stop assuming you know what is best for everyone.

This is exactly me! 5'2.5 and 147 lbs. I just started doing 1200 calories, but have been doing low carb for years. It's just not working any more! I have finally started losing again after months of watching carbs and exercising.
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned also is that the starvation mode thing is a myth, but depends on who you ask or what you read.

Depends on the person. I know starvation mode is not a myth for me. I trashed my metabolism both medically and by under eating for years trying to lose weight. I upped my calories and have lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Is very suprised this topic is even alive still.....
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    So funny because someone posted something very similar to this and everyone was like YEAH!! and now someone else posts it and everyone is like UM NO!

[img]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad263/strawberryturtle/GIF Album/tumblr_lm1uxuLml31qh9y1d.gif[/img]

LOL
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Im 5 ft 2 inches and I eat 1600 cals a day and Im comfortable with that,am loosing and happy with myself,I dont eat any kind of fast food or drinks,I would be miserable on 1200 cals a day,thats just me,then I do cycle 12 miles most days so Im not exactly sedentary ,I suppose if you sat at a desk most of the day 1200 would be ok,not for me though!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    well said, she is not saying you have to eat her way she is putting her point of view, that!s all

So, tthe STOP Under-Eating Folks subject line is meant to contain an implied "If you want"??? :huh:

She also specifies in the op the type of 1200 calorie dieter she was motivated by this post. You know, the ones who are starving all the time, or not losing, those who are fatigued all the time ect... She wasn't telling people what to do, she was saying, " hey if you are miserable and struggling on 1200 calories, maybe you aren't eating enough and would benefit better from a moderate deficit plan". She just said it in her way. You have to be able to look past personality and writing styles on a public forum.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Or, you know, I've lost a pound since I began MFP. Don't be a douche. I've lost quite a lot otherwise, which is fairly difficult as my medication doses pretty much stop me from losing weight.

What's the obsession with 1200? I keep seeing 1200 over and over again; if you net 1199 does your metabolism instantly stall?