Processed foods

Options

Replies

• sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Gradually refine your diet! Source organic produce , look up raw vegan recipes on the web.
    First cut out white rice pasta pizza base replace with whole grain ! Buy organic free range eggs.
    You may end up ' clean eating ' most of the time at home, but everyone has to make compromises
    Good luck its not all or nothing go ahead and do it!
  • jschmidt2573
    jschmidt2573 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    100 days of real food - is a blog that has a lot of great recipes and ideas for cutting processed foods out of your diet.
  • peachykeek
    peachykeek Posts: 19
    Options
    100 days of real food - is a blog that has a lot of great recipes and ideas for cutting processed foods out of your diet.

agreed! i follow her on facebook. lots of good stuff.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How long does it take to mill your flour for your pizza?

so are you like a sour patch kid......?

are you sour and then sweet ever? or just sour always?javascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')

:huh:

I do love sour patch kids, just pointing out how unhelpful people are, the OP asked for non processed foods. Making your own pizza dough from a recipe still requires use of processed ingredients.

Unhelpful people? Boy, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. I don't understand why you have to point that out at all. We can all see from your profile pic that you're in great shape. What advice would you actually have for the OP? :bigsmile:

O rly? Pointing out people giving deceiving advice is unhelpful?

yep, it's super unhelpful when you don't have any actual advice to give, yourself. if you're well-educated on the topic, please, for the benefit of everyone, spend your time and energy enlightening us, instead of being a smart-*kitten*. give real tips. the people offering suggestions are trying to help, based on what they know. if you know better, offer something better up.

People might want to start off understanding what processing actually means, then go about making suggestions how to cut those foods out. I say good luck trying
  • peachykeek
    peachykeek Posts: 19
    Options

are you sour and then sweet ever? or just sour always?javascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')

I do love sour patch kids, just pointing out how unhelpful people are, the OP asked for non processed foods. Making your own pizza dough from a recipe still requires use of processed ingredients.

Unhelpful people? Boy, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. I don't understand why you have to point that out at all. We can all see from your profile pic that you're in great shape. What advice would you actually have for the OP? :bigsmile:

O rly? Pointing out people giving deceiving advice is unhelpful?

yep, it's super unhelpful when you don't have any actual advice to give, yourself. if you're well-educated on the topic, please, for the benefit of everyone, spend your time and energy enlightening us, instead of being a smart-*kitten*. give real tips. the people offering suggestions are trying to help, based on what they know. if you know better, offer something better up.

People might want to start off understanding what processing actually means, then go about making suggestions how to cut those foods out. I say good luck trying

why don't you explain what you know?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I like processed foods. and if meat didn't already have hormones injected into it, I would inject them myself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

(I have a Whispermill and a five gallon bucket of wheatberries...but still, ANGTFT. I just order Papa John's.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any good tips as to how to cut out processed foods?

Just eat more natural, whole foods and prepare your meals from scratch ingredients.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along? :)
    Frozen veggies aren't processed in the sense that there's not a lot of added crap and that they're nutritionally sound - more so than fresh produce most of the time in fact, because the flash freezing preserves a lot of nutrients "fresh" veggies lose in transport/sitting at the store.

If you've always lived on processed foods it's quite a learning experience cutting them out and retraining your tastes.
    I have IBS and learned that gmo/processed/non-organic/etc food is my trigger, and I'm a kid who grew up on bologna and shells and cheese.

It's way more effort, making things from scratch. Seriously. But the results are better and you'll learn not to like the garbage. A rule of thumb: the shorter the list of ingredients on a product, the better. Costco is great for prepackaged natural foods, and their produce is really reasonably priced. Feel free to message me if you want me to blab more. :)
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

are you sour and then sweet ever? or just sour always?

I like this brah. He keeps it real.
  • gogoboobzilla
    Options
    Nope. I just had linguini with canned clam sauce and chicken breast that was previously frozen. I'm pretty sure it's going to kill me.

OP: You need to learn how to cook using fresh ingredients but the "cut out" processed foods idea is way over the top. I suppose you could move to Alaska and hunt and gather for the rest of your life, or you could simply learn a bit about nutrition and avoid thinking that there's a boogeyman in every can or box.

That's actually considered clean eating. (and tasty). As long as the chicken is hormone and antibiotic free and not factory farmed. Nothing wrong with that meal at all.

I'm so glad that fits your personal definition of clean eating. Enjoy your quixotic crusade.

I'm just saying honestly. I mean yeah, the seafood is in a can. If it's just seafood and water (and no preservatives) so what? The pasta could be organic and made by hand and purchased at a little Italian market and the chicken could be purchased at the farmer's market and frozen by the person that bought the chicken from the farmer.

If you dig into the definition there's ways to make this meal clean.

Even cleaner would be to make the pasta yourself at home (but getting it from a small maker or in my case the farmer's market--how is that not clean eating?).

Just think about what you are saying.

Every meal can be transformed to a clean meal if you just source local, small, and organic for the ingredients. The canned fish can be adjusted by visiting the local fisherman at the farmer's market (mine is really awesome by the way and I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean).

You just gotta get creative.

Clams + pasta + chicken = really good clean eating if you think for a minute where the ingredients are coming from. If I dig the clams out of the sand 1/2 hour from my house, get the pasta and chicken from the farmer's market I'd have to say that's pretty gosh darn clean eating.

I'm saying that if you're paying more for your food so you get organic, or hormone-free, or small farm or any of the other nonsense, you're wasting your money. None of that is any different than the "you have to drink 8 glasses of water a day" routine that ties people in knots. Watch your macros, micros, fiber, etc. and exercise. Once that is done, you should probably be much more concerned about spending your money on better dental care, a car with great side impact protection, and a good generator for blackouts. Seriously, if you want to live longer, then spring for a Volvo or a Mercedes. Human risk analysis is amazingly poor, and a good number of people on here genuinely think non-organic food is going to kill them, or even more laughable, have an impact on their weight loss.

GMO produce has caused tumors in rats. The backbone of conventional agriculture is from the company who invented Agent Orange. And even if you don't buy into any of that, conventional produce literally has less nutrients than organic/heirloom. The new hybrid Salmon thats about to get released? Totally pales in comparison nutritionally to normal, wild caught salmon.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    ...just don't eat them. There's nothing hard about cooking your own food. If you work a lot, cook big portions and freeze them individually one night a week. Why is it so hard to cut out processed food?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just had linguini with canned clam sauce and chicken breast that was previously frozen. I'm pretty sure it's going to kill me.

OP: You need to learn how to cook using fresh ingredients but the "cut out" processed foods idea is way over the top. I suppose you could move to Alaska and hunt and gather for the rest of your life, or you could simply learn a bit about nutrition and avoid thinking that there's a boogeyman in every can or box.

That's actually considered clean eating. (and tasty). As long as the chicken is hormone and antibiotic free and not factory farmed. Nothing wrong with that meal at all.

I'm so glad that fits your personal definition of clean eating. Enjoy your quixotic crusade.

I'm just saying honestly. I mean yeah, the seafood is in a can. If it's just seafood and water (and no preservatives) so what? The pasta could be organic and made by hand and purchased at a little Italian market and the chicken could be purchased at the farmer's market and frozen by the person that bought the chicken from the farmer.

Even cleaner would be to make the pasta yourself at home (but getting it from a small maker or in my case the farmer's market--how is that not clean eating?).

Every meal can be transformed to a clean meal if you just source local, small, and organic for the ingredients. The canned fish can be adjusted by visiting the local fisherman at the farmer's market (mine is really awesome by the way and I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean).

Clams + pasta + chicken = really good clean eating if you think for a minute where the ingredients are coming from. If I dig the clams out of the sand 1/2 hour from my house, get the pasta and chicken from the farmer's market I'd have to say that's pretty gosh darn clean eating.

I'm saying that if you're paying more for your food so you get organic, or hormone-free, or small farm or any of the other nonsense, you're wasting your money. None of that is any different than the "you have to drink 8 glasses of water a day" routine that ties people in knots. Watch your macros, micros, fiber, etc. and exercise. Once that is done, you should probably be much more concerned about spending your money on better dental care, a car with great side impact protection, and a good generator for blackouts. Seriously, if you want to live longer, then spring for a Volvo or a Mercedes. Human risk analysis is amazingly poor, and a good number of people on here genuinely think non-organic food is going to kill them, or even more laughable, have an impact on their weight loss.

Is this guy working for Monsanto? I can't believe the ignorance. GMO produce has caused tumors in rats. The backbone of conventional agriculture is from the company who invented Agent Orange. And even if you don't buy into any of that, conventional produce literally has less nutrients than organic/heirloom. The new hybrid Salmon thats about to get released? Totally pales in comparison nutritionally to normal, wild caught salmon.

Are you referring to the laughable and across the board denounced French study? lollercoaster

"I can't believe the ignorance"

Pot kettle
  • gogoboobzilla
    Options
    I think the troll has had enough to eat for today.
  • gogoboobzilla
    Options
    Losing weight does not equal healthy, there's so much more to it. Being buff doesn't mean that conventional/gmo food isn't harming you.
    Yeah, I'm fat. But personal attacks are way low, and I think you're definitely angry and not at me.
    I'm fat because I eat too much and exercise too little. But y'know what? I've had IBS since I was 12, and cutting all gmo/non organic/in general awful, complicated, processed ingredients makes my symptoms completely vanish. You and your friends with PHD's can't tell me that my body is wrong for rejecting that kind of garbage, along with plenty of other people in the world.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Is this guy working for Monsanto? I can't believe the ignorance. GMO produce has caused tumors in rats. The backbone of conventional agriculture is from the company who invented Agent Orange. And even if you don't buy into any of that, conventional produce literally has less nutrients than organic/heirloom. The new hybrid Salmon thats about to get released? Totally pales in comparison nutritionally to normal, wild caught salmon.

I'm looking at your pic and laughing when you say that I'm ignorant or biased when I speak of nutrition. Your information is pseudoscientific crap. Perhaps if you shut your mouth and actually listened to people who had been where you are, and then changed and succeeded, you would learn something. But you won't and we all know that. Enjoy your early death of diabetes while worrying about GMO food.

As for me, I'll continue to listen to peer reviewed and published studies, and those close to me with Ph.ds from ivy league schools. The combination of arrogance and ignorance on the internetz never fails to amaze me.

If I wasn't already married I would propose to you. Twice.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Grow everything you eat yourself, and eat it as it grows. In the winter, you will have to dig up tubers, and hunt squirrels and rabbits.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This thread may be a lost cause at this point, but how about going back to the OP, and establishing some context?
    OP - What are your fitness/diet goals? Why are you trying to cut out processed foods? Are there specific foods you want to cut out? Did a doctor/friend/nutritionist recommend you cut out specific foods?

Are you looking for a particular diet plan? You've been on MFP for two years. What worked for you? What hasn't been working? What would like to change?
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    shop the outside asiles of your grocery store first. Lots of veggies. I also buy the big bag of birds eye frozen veggies from Wal mart.

And how do the veggies get frozen and bagged? Processing...

Not if you freeze them yourself! : )
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Losing weight does not equal thin. Being buff doesn't mean that conventional/gmo food isn't harming you.
    Yeah, I'm fat. But personal attacks are way low, and I think you're definitely angry and not at me.
    I'm fat because I eat too much and exercise too little. But y'know what? I've had IBS since I was 12, and cutting all gmo/non organic/in general awful, complicated, processed ingredients makes my symptoms completely vanish. You and your friends with PHD's can't tell me that my body is wrong for rejecting that kind of garbage, along with plenty of other people in the world.

I was responding to your unbelievable arrogance in calling me ignorant while sitting in a rather large glass house. Funny how people like you scream "personal attack" while dishing it out.

You've obviously read some book or website and bought into some pseudoscientific studies. Your IBS has nothing to do with GMO foods but it often is treatable by removing foods from your diet. You've taken the additional, and unfounded leap, of blaming it on GMO. That said, I'm sure you will keep believing what you want to believe no matter how little evidence you have to support your beliefs.