She just doesnt get it!

Options

Replies

• BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Your mom told you what she was cooking and you said "ugh"?

The one time my husband said "ugh" to a menu, he found out what it was like to cook his own meal that night.

Good point!

I like to bake but don't like having the sweets in my house - more than a few guy friends have accused me of trying to make them fat hahaha but they never complain and happily take the cookies/brownies/homemade lasagna etc etc
  • pamklass
    pamklass Posts: 17
    Options
    Wow you are so rude to your mom.
  • PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Options
    Just eat some of the damn pasta. Eat a lot of the broccoli. Make your own food.
    Most importantly, be nice to your mother. Just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean she has to cook and eat as if she's on one. Man up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    btw, i haven't had pasta and oil in like, months. i think i'll make that one day this week. maybe with some scallops too.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You hung up on your mother. You're completely ungrateful for her feeding you and providing you a roof over your head. You said she could stand to lose some weight.

You get ZERO sympathy. Grow up and learn to treat your mother with some damn respect.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- are you going to the gym tonite?
    me- yea im not sure how long ill be. Whats for dinner?
    mom- Pasta with broccoli
    me- Im not having that, The pasta... and the oil. ugh
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.
    mom- so just take a lot of broccoli
    me- ::click::

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...

yup
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration but I don't think you should hang up on your mom. j/s
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what is so bad about pasta, a bit of olive (I assume) oil and lots of broccoli.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- Pasta with broccoli
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...

WOW...I don't think you were patronizing enough in that post. please try again.

I don't know. I think he hit the patronizing nail right on the head.

Bravo.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It's your mom's house - she can cook whatever she wants and doesn't have to cater to your diet.

You look old enough to know how to prepare your own food.

Yep. Pretty simple, really. And show your mother some gratitude, for goodness sake. She doesn't HAVE to cook for her adult child.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Buy your own food or make do with what your mom is cooking. Its not your mothers fault you can't control how much pasta you stuff down your throat.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    DAMN MFP and being Wonky today so I cant see how old you are - because I have 2 young boys and my biggest fear is they will live with me forever!

Im with everyone else - if you HAVE to live there due to the economy etc then yes cook your own meals if you dont like what mom is making and YES respect her!
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    put your own roof over your head. until then stop crying like a baby that mommy is feeding you
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

mom- Pasta with broccoli
    mom- have a little

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

You sound like a spoiled rotten self righteous person.....not saying you are....but you sound like it. Eat what your mother cooks......Or talk with her about it and then cook your own food. Or eat a smaller portion of what she fixes and then have a protein shake. You're the one on a "diet" not your mother. Don't you dare give her crap for what she chooses to cook and feed her family....That's not right.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wow -- as a mother I'm just going to say I feel sorry for yours. You're completely ungrateful for her. YOU HUNG UP? Pretty much threw a fit like a 2-year old over what she had planned for dinner. Sheesh...

Grow up -- PLEASE -- stop treating your mother like she doesn't matter and doesn't have feelings. Do you know how it feels to be a mom and be treated the way you just treated her? She's doing what she feels is right and you are disrespectful? I'm fuming right now.

If I was your mother I'd kick your butt out.

Buy your own groceries if you can't move out and be polite when you decline meals... hanging up on your mother should never happen again.

Again to reiterate: GROW UP!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 574 Member
    Options

mom- Pasta with broccoli
    mom- have a little

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

yup

Wow, did you misplace your silver spoon?
    edited to note that the other quote was because it was RIGHT!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Here's some motivation. Eat the food your mom makes and go work out your dang selfishness. That will burn a lot of calories for sure.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love how this kid was probably going to himself "yeah, the people on MFP will understand me!!" and we're all like "nope."
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You gonna pay my rent? Long Island in the most expensive place in the country to live. Im not paying 1300 a month for an apt to pay someone elses mortage... MY mom isnt a stick either and shes gained a substantial amount of weight in the last few years too, but you cant tell her that.

Nope, sorry. Try an hour west of you.

On to substantive comments. You presumably got where you are because you ate too much for your activity level. Part of learning how to control your weight is about moderation. Eat your mom's cooking--just know when to stop. For example, don't eat seconds. A bit of pasta with broccoli won't hurt you (unless you have celiac disease or are diabetic).
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So how about 2 or 3 nights out of the week you offer to buy the food and cook what you feel are acceptable meals for your Mom?

Then a couple of more nights you be out of the house at dinner time and make do with "clean food" that you stop at the grocery store and buy and consume. One night a week let your Mommy cook for you and eat a small amount and make appreciative noises and tell her you love her.
This discussion has been closed.