Wow! Who doesn't get it??
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Try being from a Native American family where EVERYTHING is fried!! Fried bologna, fried biscuits, fried pork chops, fried bread!! MMMM...Indian Tacos!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    You gonna pay my rent? Long Island in the most expensive place in the country to live. Im not paying 1300 a month for an apt to pay someone elses mortage... MY mom isnt a stick either and shes gained a substantial amount of weight in the last few years too, but you cant tell her that.

Woe is me. Welcome to being an adult.

And if you're not in a position to move out, buy your own groceries and cook your own meals.

This^^^ Knock it off with the "get it through her thick head" comments, be thankful for a home and a mother who cooks (and likely does other stuff) for you, and fix your own food.

When I was 14, I muttered under my breath at my mom, "Why can't you be quiet."

My dad heard.

My two front teeth are fake.

Do the math.

Respect your mother.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Hanging up on your mom was rude. I can see why there are so many unsympathetic responses.

Although I wouldn't ever hang up on my mom, I understand your position. My husband loves pasta. We have a pasta maker here at the house. He also loves southern comfort foods. Like you, I have a hard time eating "just a little." It's pretty frustrating when family members make that comment. I have been learning to eat only one serving size of these comfort foods. Then, I add a huge salad to make me feel more full. It's really all about training yourself and the right mindset.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Try being from a Native American family where EVERYTHING is fried!! Fried bologna, fried biscuits, fried pork chops, fried bread!! MMMM...Indian Tacos!!

I feel you on that. Try being from a Samoan family too. "Don't eat 'till you're full...eat 'till you're tired." smh
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options

What you should do is apologize to your poor mother, and tell her how much you love and appreciate all she does for you, because one day she will not be here to coddle and take care of you, which means you will be alone and have to do everything for yourself. Including paying that "$1300" in rent (that's pretty damn cheap, by the way) that appears to be so repulsive to you.

Jesus, you act like you're 12.

This IS EXACTLY what you should do when you get home this evening...at minimum...a bouquet of flowers would be great too, but, at least apologize. Signed a mother of a 25 year old son who does NOT live at home.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- are you going to the gym tonite?
    me- yea im not sure how long ill be. Whats for dinner?
    mom- Pasta with broccoli
    me- Im not having that, The pasta... and the oil. ugh
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.
    mom- so just take a lot of broccoli
    me- ::click::

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...

LOL I agree with this. Mums need to be cherished as they're not around forever. We all grow out of that ungrateful brat phase. For me it was too late, I had only just finished being a brat and then my mum died when I was 21. I can never get that back now.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You're gonna make some woman very happy one day. ....not!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    OH BLESS HER ITALIAN HEART!!!!

People who haven't had an Italian mama push food on them have no idea how guilty they make you feel if you don't eat their food. My lord, this one woman I know was practically forcing cookies down my throat, all while insisting she shouldn't have any because she needed to watch her weight. And I was the fat one! LOL!

My advice, eat the goddamned pasta, you ungrateful *kitten*! This is your MAMA! But eat it BEFORE you go to the gym- use it as fuel for your work out. Then have your protein shake after to heal those muscles, and balance out the rest of your day's carbs so you don't insult your mother!

You INGRATE!

-From an Italian Mama
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I looked at your pic, and you do not look like a child. Man up and take care of your own food.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    OH BLESS HER ITALIAN HEART!!!!

People who haven't had an Italian mama push food on them have no idea how guilty they make you feel if you don't eat their food. My lord, this one woman I know was practically forcing cookies down my throat, all while insisting she shouldn't have any because she needed to watch her weight. And I was the fat one! LOL!

My advice, eat the goddamned pasta, you ungrateful *kitten*! This is your MAMA! But eat it BEFORE you go to the gym- use it as fuel for your work out. Then have your protein shake after to heal those muscles, and balance out the rest of your day's carbs so you don't insult your mother!

You INGRATE!

-From an Italian Mama
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    put your own roof over your head. until then stop crying like a baby that mommy is feeding you

^^^That. Exactly. Time to put on your big boy pants.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    my husbands that way. I get into a serious mindset that I can lose it this time, and he comes home with del taco, pizza, burgers. *kitten*.

ETA; I cook healthy every day, and when dinners on the stove, he comes in with food I need to avoid.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Your mom still cooks dinner for you, and you complain and hang up on her. Time for you to start making your own meals, kiddo.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I just had a flashback: DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, "Parents Just Don't Understand."
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    put your own roof over your head. until then stop crying like a baby that mommy is feeding you

^^^That. Exactly. Time to put on your big boy pants.

If I may, it's really not uncommon for Italian men and woman to stay in the nest until they are married. FYI- there may be some cultural misunderstandings here. He's not refusing to put on his big boy pants- He is (I assume) doing what is normal and expected in his community by still living with his parents even though he is an adult.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel your pain, my mum is similar in the food aspect and even more annoyingly to me is the exercise concept. She thinks exercise should be a last priority as everything else is more important:

Mum: What are you doing today Ash?
    Me: blah blah blah gym blah blah...
    Mum: Gym again? You could spend some time with your grandfather for god's sake, he's getting old you know?

Grrr way to go and make me feel guilty.

No matter how many times I tell her, in different ways, she just doesn't get it. This is food as well though in terms of not having enough food on my plate or not having something in particular like garlic bread or pasta lol. Good luck and if you find a way, let me know?
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You gonna pay my rent? Long Island in the most expensive place in the country to live. Im not paying 1300 a month for an apt to pay someone elses mortage... MY mom isnt a stick either and shes gained a substantial amount of weight in the last few years too, but you cant tell her that.

Woe is me. Welcome to being an adult.

And if you're not in a position to move out, buy your own groceries and cook your own meals.

This^^^ Knock it off with the "get it through her thick head" comments, be thankful for a home and a mother who cooks (and likely does other stuff) for you, and fix your own food.

When I was 14, I muttered under my breath at my mom, "Why can't you be quiet."

My dad heard.

My two front teeth are fake.

Do the math.

Respect your mother.

Right On! I mean im sorry about your teeth,;( But Right On! LOL..
  • irishscootz
    Options
    cMIIAhX.gif
This discussion has been closed.