Processed foods

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes us fat and it is addictive.

I know I am sooo fat from snorting lines of sugar

Where you ever fat? A lot of the people like myself who did gain a lot of weight in the past did so largely because of over eating sugary food.
    No I was never fat but I did grow up on a junk food diet filled with fat and sugar, I just played outside all day long and burned it all off. That is why I don't buy the argument that sugar makes people fat, it is over consumption of calories and lack of movement that really make people fat.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Where you ever fat? A lot of the people like myself who did gain a lot of weight in the past did so largely because of over eating sugary food.

I was fat. That has nothing to do with science other than the mental aspect of overeating and eating to fullness. satiation of processed foods along with sedentary lifestyle is a huge factor of why this happens. Sugar is not addictive
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Let me chime in here, I was definitely fat. I didn't get there though because of eating processed food and a lot of sweets. I've always had what most people would consider a reasonably healthy diet at home, though for a long while I was eating out at business dinners and at my desk quite often and never worrying about it. I guess you could say I got fat on prime rib, goose fat potatoes and good cabernet. That and lot of sitting. I honestly eat more ice cream and sweets now than I have since I was a kid.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I too eat more sugar than I did when I got fat. I never really ate ice cream and pop tarts. Now I do.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I too eat more sugar than I did when I got fat. I never really ate ice cream and pop tarts. Now I do.

stop lying. sugar causes insulin spikes and triggers the storage of fat. when you gain fat you also have insulin resistance so it spikes it up even more and you go into a never ending cycle of being fat
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    By now the OP has discovered that you can't come on these boards and ask a question without being very specific. I hope in all of these responses she took away something useful.

Let's get real though. I have 1600 calories a day to "spend" on food. How I spend my calories is entirely up to to me. I could eat pop tarts for breakfast and wash it down with a can of coke. I could eat a fast food hamburger, large fry and large coke and I'd be done for the day. I've used up all my calories and it's 1:00 in the afternoon. And please don't tell me to hit the gym because I do. Six days a week, two of which are spent with a sadistic trainer. Is the food I ate evil? No. Is it the most nutritious food I could have eaten? Again..no. So instead I choose to eat like I did today and most days. A diet that is a realistic marriage of convenience (notice I did not use the term PROCESSED) food and fresh fruit, produce and healthy fat. I get to eat a much greater abundance of food, spread out over the entire day which makes me happier than not eating anything else to eat after 1:00 in the afternoon, And, I feel good knowing that I ate food with a bigger nutritional bang for it's buck than that fast food lunch I skipped.

Now, unless you don't believe that eating fruits, veggies and good sources of lean protein is healthier for you, than you can feel free to argue against how I chose to eat. Maybe you think that paying attention to the food we eat has absolutely no connection to health whatsoever. That the importance of antioxidants and vitamins in food is just a bunch of voodoo science propagated by the beet industry. That's cool. You eat what you eat and I'll eat what I want.

In regards to the OP's question. Why don't you tell us what convenience foods you would like to eliminate from your diet and those of us who have successfully eliminated them from our own can offer you some alternatives.
  • healthilyeverafter13
    healthilyeverafter13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    shop the outside asiles of your grocery store first. Lots of veggies. I also buy the big bag of birds eye frozen veggies from Wal mart.

And how do the veggies get frozen and bagged? Processing...

Frozen veggies are not as processed as you think... they pick them, cut them, usually flash steam them, and then flash freeze them. When most people think of processing, they think of added ingredients, especially fake ones. If you read the ingredients of any bag of frozen veggies, the only ingredient should be the actual vegetable. If it has anything else, you shouldn't be buying it. You don't lose any nutrients with frozen veggies... and actually, you could be keeping some nutrients, because if you buy fresh, say, broccoli, if you don't use it right away you start to lose the nutrients. Frozen broccoli have the nutrients flash frozen into them.

This is different from, say, canned vegetables, which typically have tons of sodium added to preserve them and lord only knows else to preserve flavor.
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce. Look up the "Clean 15" and "Dirty Dozen" to find which produce is strongly recommended to buy organic.
    Whole wheat (look at the ingredients, the less ingredients the better), sprouted wheat, raw nuts/seeds (if you can get those sprouted too)....learn what you're eating. The first place you should look is the ingredients list, truly.

If you eat meat/dairy/fish...buy those organic or wild caught...always.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Link to a post I made late last week. I'm sure it's TL:DR for most.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998983-misconceptions-of-organic-food-s

http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."
  • BeachIron
    Options
    By now the OP has discovered that you can't come on these boards and ask a question without being very specific. I hope in all of these responses she took away something useful.

Let's get real though. I have 1600 calories a day to "spend" on food. How I spend my calories is entirely up to to me. I could eat pop tarts for breakfast and wash it down with a can of coke. I could eat a fast food hamburger, large fry and large coke and I'd be done for the day. I've used up all my calories and it's 1:00 in the afternoon. And please don't tell me to hit the gym because I do. Six days a week, two of which are spent with a sadistic trainer. Is the food I ate evil? No. Is it the most nutritious food I could have eaten? Again..no. So instead I choose to eat like I did today and most days. A diet that is a realistic marriage of convenience (notice I did not use the term PROCESSED) food and fresh fruit, produce and healthy fat. I get to eat a much greater abundance of food, spread out over the entire day which makes me happier than not eating anything else to eat after 1:00 in the afternoon, And, I feel good knowing that I ate food with a bigger nutritional bang for it's buck than that fast food lunch I skipped.

Now, unless you don't believe that eating fruits, veggies and good sources of lean protein is healthier for you, than you can feel free to argue against how I chose to eat. Maybe you think that paying attention to the food we eat has absolutely no connection to health whatsoever. That the importance of antioxidants and vitamins in food is just a bunch of voodoo science propagated by the beet industry. That's cool. You eat what you eat and I'll eat what I want.

In regards to the OP's question. Why don't you tell us what convenience foods you would like to eliminate from your diet and those of us who have successfully eliminated them from our own can offer you some alternatives.

You're missing a bit of the point here. No one here is saying eat sweets all day long or don't eat fruit and veggies. That said, there are some famous cases of people living on some pretty interesting things and surviving just fine. The truth is we are omnivores and unlike what a lot of people want to argue, if we are designed to eat anything, we are designed to eat everything. And the truth is that when it comes down to the details of nutrition, the anti-"processed" foods crowd tends to oversimplify things to the point where they're just wrong.

Take that argument that one shouldn't eat canned or jarred food. What about a can or jar of tomato sauce, or for that matter, canned tomatoes? There is nothing wrong with either of those so long as you take a look at the ingredients list and the nutrition content fits what you need. Canned salmon? Canned octopus, tuna, sardines, etc.? Olives are heavily processed and also come in a jar or can. Heck, you can't even eat olives in their natural state.

Now on to unrefrigerated boxed food as one of the above posters mentioned. I think most of us would agree that keeping sugary cereal to a minimum is a positive, but shredded wheat also comes in a box and isn't refrigerated. Is that bad? Then what about dried pasta? Or crackers? Again, it depends on what is in that specific brand or type of food.

Then on to sugary cereal, ice cream, Oreos and all the other things people are eating but love to complain about. Eat them in moderation. The simple problem with obesity isn't a matter of what people are eating, but how much. Learn to cook and grocery shop, and learn to manage your diet. It just isn't that hard but it certainly isn't as simple as saying "don't eat processed foods" or "don't eat sugar." I am currently cutting and netting about 1700 many days and yet still fit in ice cream. Life doesn't have to be bland.

And finally, for the vast majority of people out there trying to lose weight, it really is as easy as simply eating fewer calories. Your argument is essentially that you need to eat "clean" to be full and come under your calories goal. That is fine. Just understand that at the end of the day losing weight is all about calories. Body composition takes plenty of protein, and overall health obviously is more complicated (but not nearly as complicated as many make it sound), but weight loss is extremely simple. I see people on these boards all the time who are frustrated because they're eating "clean" and not losing weight. It's calories, calories, calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

QFT - Me too. I very rarely ate ice cream when I was fat. I eat a pint a day now.
  • BeachIron
    Options

QFT - Me too. I very rarely ate ice cream when I was fat. I eat a pint a day now.

Cheers to that. I'm fitting in a 1 1/2 cups of chocolate ice cream tonight and washing it down with a shot of whiskey. I'll still net less than 1700 calories and knock my macros out of the park.
  • GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    I"m just here to read all the drama.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options

You're missing a bit of the point here. No one here is saying eat sweets all day long or don't eat fruit and veggies. That said, there are some famous cases of people living on some pretty interesting things and surviving just fine. The truth is we are omnivores and unlike what a lot of people want to argue, if we are designed to eat anything, we are designed to eat everything. And the truth is that when it comes down to the details of nutrition, the anti-"processed" foods crowd tends to oversimplify things to the point where they're just wrong.

Take that argument that one shouldn't eat canned or jarred food. What about a can or jar of tomato sauce, or for that matter, canned tomatoes? There is nothing wrong with either of those so long as you take a look at the ingredients list and the nutrition content fits what you need. Canned salmon? Canned octopus, tuna, sardines, etc.? Olives are heavily processed and also come in a jar or can. Heck, you can't even eat olives in their natural state.

Now on to unrefrigerated boxed food as one of the above posters mentioned. I think most of us would agree that keeping sugary cereal to a minimum is a positive, but shredded wheat also comes in a box and isn't refrigerated. Is that bad? Then what about dried pasta? Or crackers? Again, it depends on what is in that specific brand or type of food.

Then on to sugary cereal, ice cream, Oreos and all the other things people are eating but love to complain about. Eat them in moderation. The simple problem with obesity isn't a matter of what people are eating, but how much. Learn to cook and grocery shop, and learn to manage your diet. It just isn't that hard but it certainly isn't as simple as saying "don't eat processed foods" or "don't eat sugar." I am currently cutting and netting about 1700 many days and yet still fit in ice cream. Life doesn't have to be bland.

And finally, for the vast majority of people out there trying to lose weight, it really is as easy as simply eating fewer calories. Your argument is essentially that you need to eat "clean" to be full and come under your calories goal. That is fine. Just understand that at the end of the day losing weight is all about calories. Body composition takes plenty of protein, and overall health obviously is more complicated (but not nearly as complicated as many make it sound), but weight loss is extremely simple. I see people on these boards all the time who are frustrated because they're eating "clean" and not losing weight. It's calories, calories, calories.

I don't disagree that it's calories that matter when it comes to losing weight. You also have to factor in what you can reasonably live with too. My example of pop tarts and McDonald's may have been extreme but for ME, I'm also trying to eat a healthy, balanced diet WHILE I lose weight. And I also agree that some take the clean eating argument too far but to each his own. I still use certain convenience foods, even cereal. I just buy sprouted whole grain (think grapenuts) instead of fruit loops. There's nothing wrong with lots of the convenience foods that are available. But there is a whole lot wrong with a lot of them too. Will you still lose weight eating them? Absolutely! Like I said, I like to spend my calories on more food because I like to eat a lot. So for me, choosing lower calorie, higher nutritional density foods just makes sense. I also like a glass of wine or a frosty beer on occasion :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

How long does it take to mill your flour for your pizza?

Haha. If God didn't make it don't eat is basically. Have you even heard of The Daniel Fast? It's a fast and no meat but it's kinda the same idea. Clean eating as much as possible. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who is hard core enough to mill their own flour for a pizza haha but it's still funny.

WHAT IS THE DANIEL FAST?

The Daniel Fast is a biblically based partial fast. It is a method of fasting that men, women and young people all over the world are using as they enter into the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting.

There are two anchoring scriptures for the Daniel Fast. In Daniel 1 the Prophet ate only vegetables (that would have included fruits) and drank only water. So from these scriptures we get two of the guidelines for the fast:

Only fruits and vegetables
    Only water for a beverage

Then in Daniel 10 we read that the Prophet ate no meat nor any precious breads or foods and he drank no wine for 21 days. So from this scripture, we get a third guideline:

No sweeteners and no breads

Another important guideline is drawn from Jewish fasting principles, where no leaven is used during the fast. So that’s why yeast, baking powder and the like are not allowed on the Daniel Fast.

Finally, with all the above puzzle pieces, we conclude that no artificial or processed foods nor any chemicals are allowed on the Daniel Fast.

When asked about the eating plan on the Daniel Fast, I often say it is a “vegan diet with even more restrictions.”

Be sure to read the ingredients on labels of prepared foods to make sure they only include Daniel Fast friendly ingredients.

pbbt+laugh.gif
  • BeachIron
    Options

I don't disagree that it's calories that matter when it comes to losing weight. You also have to factor in what you can reasonably live with too. My example of pop tarts and McDonald's may have been extreme but for ME, I'm also trying to eat a healthy, balanced diet WHILE I lose weight. And I also agree that some take the clean eating argument too far but to each his own. I still use certain convenience foods, even cereal. I just buy sprouted whole grain (think grapenuts) instead of fruit loops. There's nothing wrong with lots of the convenience foods that are available. But there is a whole lot wrong with a lot of them too. Will you still lose weight eating them? Absolutely! Like I said, I like to spend my calories on more food because I like to eat a lot. So for me, choosing lower calorie, higher nutritional density foods just makes sense. I also like a glass of wine or a frosty beer on occasion :)

I'm not arguing against that approach and I'm pretty sure no one else here is either. I will say that white flour and white rice both take way too much guff for the nutrition they actually do provide. And fruit loops taste good on ice cream but I prefer cocoa puffs. Oh, and beer. Beer is good.
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    yep, don't buy them
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    shop the outside asiles of your grocery store first. Lots of veggies. I also buy the big bag of birds eye frozen veggies from Wal mart.

And how do the veggies get frozen and bagged? Processing...

I thought so too but a nutritionist told me that unless you eat the fruits or vegetables within 2-3 days of purchase you are better off eating frozen ones as they were frozen quickly after picking.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options

No I was never fat

Then you have no idea what it is like, easy enough to spout generic cookie cutter advice when you haven't been there. Sure someone who has a weight problem is 100% likely battling something mental and in turn can't "just have a little sugar"

Anyone who has battled any kind of bad habit/addiction whatever you want to call it can hardly take advice from someone who hasn't.

I have never been a smoker, yes I have tried them but I sure as hell am not going to say "that is why I don't buy that cigarettes give you cancer"
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

No I was never fat

Then you have no idea what it is like, easy enough to spout generic cookie cutter advice when you haven't been there. Sure someone who has a weight problem is 100% likely battling something mental and in turn can't "just have a little sugar"

Anyone who has battled any kind of bad habit/addiction whatever you want to call it can hardly take advice from someone who hasn't.

I have never been a smoker, yes I have tried them but I sure as hell am not going to say "that is why I don't buy that cigarettes give you cancer"
    I never was fat cause I moved around all the time while still eating TONS of sugar, which people seem to think and preach about making people fat. Also, it is not genetic. My youngest brother is over 300lbs. We grew up with the same diet but he was part of the "stay in and play video games" generation, while I was the "play outside from dawn to dusk" generation.