I don't eat clean. I won't eat clean. It's a stupid concept.

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

I think that there is a happy middle, but people are so extreme. Clean eaters know that they indulge "uncleanly" every once and a while... and IIFYMers know that they aren't eating cheeseburgers morning noon and night. If everyone was just honest, then they wouldn't have to wear how they eat as a badge of honor and get so defensive every time someone says something different.

a lot of us IIFYM people have lived the "I can't eat that" or "OMG that has WHAT" life, and we just know how that attitude led to unhealthy relationships with food, and it's the perceived ATTITUDE of the all or none type people that we dislike.

And we're kinda sarcastic pricks sometimes because most clean eaters are hypocrits who indulge sometimes but they come up with excuses to make themselves feel better.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people don't just eat what the f*&k they want. And then proceed NOT to tell me about it.

That does me just fine.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Where are all of these clean eater attackers? Seriously, I see more posts and comments making fun of clean eaters and ridiculing them than I do of clean eaters pointing the judgemental finger at everyone. Great, you eat what you want if it fits in your macros.. good for you. If your honest, and your truely doing IIFYM, then you probably eat "cleaner" then you admit to.
    It's about not letting unnecessary chemicals into your body.
    But without proper nutrition & such a "whatever whenever approach" your body will suffer for it in the end. It's not brain science!
    I try to eat as clean as possible because I am concerned about chemicals and processed foods.
    Love it i feel a lot better since i started eating cleaner i feel so energetic and my skin looks so clear no more acne and hell just healthier all around
    if not eating processed and refined foods decrease my pain levels, what are those things actually doing to people that eat them
    Some people want to lose weight to "look good" at any cost, what ever it takes healthy or not.
    To be more "healthy" then one needs to consider everything they put in their mouths like chemicals and such that isn't going to benefit or help them reach their "healthy" goal.
    What good will skinny be if I am cancer waiting to happen.

Sugga, If that was a clean eater attacker, then I am George W. Bush.

Regardless of if he/she is right or wrong, the OP made it seem like theres a clean eater on every corner offering unsolicited advice and attacking everyone elses food choices... while he, in fact, attacks them for their food choices.

Look at some of the posts below yours.

If those don't count as 'attacks' then neither does saying they've been hoodwinked.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    FYI, this post is not directed at any one person but a group of people and you know who you are.

Here is my issue with the whole clean eating, organic, etc... Most of you like to rub it in that you are participating in that kind of eating, like it is a badge of honor, but when someone calls you on the carpet for doing so you get all touchy about the fact that we do not agree with your choices. Why even mention it? We wouldn't have to bad mouth your clean eating if you wouldn't even bring it up and you don't have to bring it up, it is a choice in each and every post that you make.

To be fair, IIFYMers do the exact same thing. Look at all the food posted just to this thread. Like " oh yea, you eat cake? I eat CAKE wrapped in Bacon!!!" And I can honestly say that I never bring up clean eating in conversations, nor have I really met clean eaters that do this... but I have had to defend myself against IIFYMers in trying to eat clean.

The world has changed... not everyone who shops at whole foods is one of "those" snobby food people.
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    This should end well...

4hdqab.gif
    34xktas.gif

It's like a Tumblr fight, but better.

tumblr_m3vf8wK4CG1r3zat8.gif
    stephen-colbert-and-jon-stewart.gif

In honor of the spirit of this thread -
    64i820.gif

Can't stop laughing. :laugh:
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    There are food additives in our food supply that should not be allowed (potassium bromate, high fructose corn syrup, food dyes, gmos, etc.) Keeping blinders on isn't the answer. We have toxins in our food supply and 80% of cancers are linked to environmental toxins. As a mother I especially feel the need to provide my kids with whole foods that are primarily clean. I don't find that stupid.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I think that there is a happy middle, but people are so extreme. Clean eaters know that they indulge "uncleanly" every once and a while... and IIFYMers know that they aren't eating cheeseburgers morning noon and night. If everyone was just honest, then they wouldn't have to wear how they eat as a badge of honor and get so defensive every time someone says something different.

I think it's because many people need to believe what they are doing is right meaning it is worth the time investment and effort. In reality, dieting kind of sucks no matter how you slice it, clean eating or IIFYM, and on some level we all understand this.

Therefore if you passionately believe in what you are doing it makes staying the course psychologically easier. If someone introduces information that challenges that paradigm then you become threatened - self doubt kills results - and seek to reject it.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Where are all of these clean eater attackers? Seriously, I see more posts and comments making fun of clean eaters and ridiculing them than I do of clean eaters pointing the judgemental finger at everyone. Great, you eat what you want if it fits in your macros.. good for you. If your honest, and your truely doing IIFYM, then you probably eat "cleaner" then you admit to.
    It's about not letting unnecessary chemicals into your body.
    But without proper nutrition & such a "whatever whenever approach" your body will suffer for it in the end. It's not brain science!
    I try to eat as clean as possible because I am concerned about chemicals and processed foods.
    Love it i feel a lot better since i started eating cleaner i feel so energetic and my skin looks so clear no more acne and hell just healthier all around
    if not eating processed and refined foods decrease my pain levels, what are those things actually doing to people that eat them
    Some people want to lose weight to "look good" at any cost, what ever it takes healthy or not.
    To be more "healthy" then one needs to consider everything they put in their mouths like chemicals and such that isn't going to benefit or help them reach their "healthy" goal.
    What good will skinny be if I am cancer waiting to happen.

Sugga, If that was a clean eater attacker, then I am George W. Bush.

Regardless of if he/she is right or wrong, the OP made it seem like theres a clean eater on every corner offering unsolicited advice and attacking everyone elses food choices... while he, in fact, attacks them for their food choices.

Look at some of the posts below yours.

If those don't count as 'attacks' then neither does saying they've been hoodwinked.

Attacks or defenses? The title of this post is that it's a stupid concept... they are defending why they think its not. Conversation and disagreements aren't attacks.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    At what point did the old saying "to each their own" become a bad thing? I can see it if you were ASKING for an opinion about what a nutritionist thought you should eat, then you ate pizza and ice cream anyway...but this is about what you want to do with your life for your health! If someone is preaching to you what they think you need to do and you didn't ask their opinion, tell them to go...well, whatever you want to tell them to go do. LOL! :bigsmile: :tongue: :laugh: It's all about personal preference...and MODERATION! :drinker:
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmbdu00FvG1rlyseko1_500.gif

i worry about calories and macros (and micros) and don't worry what any self-appointed food shamers have to say about anything... ever.

i see lots of people on this site wear "how clean their diet is" as a badge of honor. it's not. it just means you've been hoodwinked into thinking that your success/failure is fully tied up in your food choices. it's not.

if i want rice, i eat rice. if i want an apple, i eat an apple. if i want a piece of pumpkin pie, i eat a piece of pumpkin pie. i don't eat the whole pie. this is how you lose weight and get fit. you don't do it by adhering to lists of "approved" and "unapproved" foods.

maybe i'm too easily irritated this morning, but i'm just sick of seeing people get sucked up into this fad (and related ones) and lose sight of the big picture in the process.

A few points:

1. My success and/or failure IS tied up in my food choices. You make the erroneous assumption that everyone can lose weight the same *exact* way as you.
    2. I think it's wonderful you can eat rice and pie. I got pretty fat eating rice and pie, and no, I did not eat the whole pie nor did I eat tons of rice. My hormones are likely different from yours and are very efficient at storing calories from those sources.
    3. I like 'clean' eating, but it doesn't make me feel superior, nor does it make me lose sight of the big picture, whatever that may be. My 'big picture' isn't the same as your 'big picture'. We don't have the same goals.

My thoughts exactly. If you can eat a giant piece of cake and still lose weight then good for you. I cannot. I lost over 20 pounds last summer, then began to eat what I wanted in moderation hoping to maintain and instead I gained it all back. Everyone's body is different. I don't know the definition of clean eating, as it appears no one really does? But when I got stricter with my diet that worked for me. To each his own.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Totally your choice and free will. Say, do you work for Monsanto?
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Everyone is free to eat what ever they want. Also yes you can enjoy any food in moderation and still be healthy.

Some of us just like to have food without as many chemicals and additives. Also, personal opinion here, but I don't feel as good after eating a meal that is "unclean" compared to one that is. This isn't the case for everyone I guess but to mock people for making healthy choices is kinda weird.

I always figured your body will run better without having to fight off unneeded "bad" foods. I'm no scientist though. So feel free to consider me stupid for thinking this way.

I think its weird too. Some people have a more difficult time losing weight and keeping it off than others. If eating "clean" is how they do it then what does it matter? If you can eat whatever you want, good for you. I'm jealous.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

a lot of us IIFYM people have lived the "I can't eat that" or "OMG that has WHAT" life, and we just know how that attitude led to unhealthy relationships with food, and it's the perceived ATTITUDE of the all or none type people that we dislike.

And we're kinda sarcastic pricks sometimes because most clean eaters are hypocrits who indulge sometimes but they come up with excuses to make themselves feel better.

So would you say that you are defending yourself against what you, yourself, were? This just got deeeeeeeep.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My reaction everytime someone says that I should eat one way or another.

7RvAbt3.jpg

My reaction to everyone. All the time.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If I forced myself to eat clean, I would be a binger.

I need to be allowed to drink my coffee with cream and sugar, and have pizza, and the occasional bowl of ice cream. If I need to grab a quick burger - I need the freedom to do that.

I rarely even fit my macros - the only thing I try to do is stick within my daily calorie limit and get my required protein.

When I force myself to eat "properly" I become a miserable cranky person who is much more inclined to eat an entire bag of doritos with salsa and sour cream.

When I allow myself to have some treats, I am much happier, and it works better for me.

If you are a clean eater, and happy - great job! But I don't feel it is the only way to achieve success.

p.s. I feel the need to prove visually that this method works for me, so here is a recent progress pic:
    16124725_8925.jpg

You've lost 6 pounds and look like that???

About three years ago I was 180 pounds and a size 12-14.
    Since that time, I have lost 15 pounds and 6-8 dress sizes.

I have lost anywhere from 5 - 10 pounds while on MFP, (since my weight fluctuates anywhere from 163 to 168 depending on cycle, water consumption, etc).

My time on MFP has been responsible for helping me to understand calorie counting, and helping me to pick healthIER choices. It got me to a goal weight I never thought possible.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    My reaction everytime someone says that I should eat one way or another.

7RvAbt3.jpg

nobody cares how you eat. i don't. you shouldn't care how i eat. but we should both care about what message is being given to the people on here who don't know any better. the ones who are told in the mass media that they can't eat bread because it has gluten, and they can't eat watermelon because it will spike their insulin, and they can't eat egg yolks because of their fat content, and they can't eat any food that comes in a box or has an ingredients label because they are not clean... those are the ones i am concerned about.

once somebody has been armed with all of the information and understands that clean eating proponents are just a subset of the larger IIFYM community, then they can choose to follow whatever plan suits them. but so long as they think clean eating is the ONLY way they can have success and that there are no consequences if they try to deprive themselves of non-clean foods, then i will say something about that.

i don't like to see people deprive themselves of foods they like unnecessarily because they have been scared into believing that eating those foods is bad. this leads to binging and all sorts of food phobias. that's my point. obvious to many on here who are willing to see it.
  • Roxiehart9
    Roxiehart9 Posts: 32
    Options
    I think you're missing the point of "clean." Yes you can loose weight eating pie and pizza, as long as you're watching calories, but there comes a point when your body adjust and you can't lose anymore and now not only ar eyou NOT losing, but you're adding toxins and chemicals into your body. The more original a food is, the easier the body can process the food into nutritional value and eliminate the extra.

Don't be fooled by just calorie counting. Not every calorie is made equally, just like not every person or body is made equally. I know for me, eating lots of carbs stops whatever weight loss progress I've made, where as my best friend (who is Irish and brought up on stinking carbs) won't gain a single lbs. What works for you doens't work for everyone, but the cleaner your diet, the quicker your body can process.

Do I eat clean...NOPE. Even healthy foods, yogurts, cheese, 100 calorie chip packs, area all processed foods with toxins and chemicals in them, but most of us eat them and they help to teach us portion control and they aren't killing us (well for now) but they are convienent and help us to lose weight. But a much better option instead of a 100 calorie pack of chips would be to slice up some potatoes and bake them. Anyone will tell you that. But in the world we live in, it's just not that easy. We are a busy nation.

But don't slam anyone who does have the opportunity to eat clean. I'm jealuos that they CAN do it. I wish I had the time, opportunity, resources, and disipline, but I don't. But saying that it's stupid and ineffective is just wrong and any documentary, research, or nutritionalist will tell you that, along iwth the results anyone gets from eating clean.

Best of luck to you and your weight loss journey and remember, each person is different!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Attacks or defenses? The title of this post is that it's a stupid concept... they are defending why they think its not. Conversation and disagreements aren't attacks.

Explain how saying if you don't eat clean you'll be 'cancer waiting to happen' isn't an attack?

I fully respect the folks saying eat what you want, but I don't. It's the other nonsense that's ridiculous, and saying things like that, even in defense of your own preferred method of eating, spreads misinformation to others.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If I forced myself to eat clean, I would be a binger.

I need to be allowed to drink my coffee with cream and sugar, and have pizza, and the occasional bowl of ice cream. If I need to grab a quick burger - I need the freedom to do that.

I rarely even fit my macros - the only thing I try to do is stick within my daily calorie limit and get my required protein.

When I force myself to eat "properly" I become a miserable cranky person who is much more inclined to eat an entire bag of doritos with salsa and sour cream.

When I allow myself to have some treats, I am much happier, and it works better for me.

If you are a clean eater, and happy - great job! But I don't feel it is the only way to achieve success.

p.s. I feel the need to prove visually that this method works for me, so here is a recent progress pic:
    16124725_8925.jpg

YOU'RE MY HERO!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The original poster suggested he was irritated by the smug 'clean eaters'... not those who quietly keep to themselves. Regardless of the merits of any diet, we probably all agree that pretentious, pious people can make anyone dismissive.
    Unless you're the most physically fit person on Earth, there's not much reason to feel proud of how you eat.

There is one thing I'd like to add for my own observations
    It is scientifically sound fact that all people naturally lose fat the exact same way..... people, please stop making excuses.