Getting legally married before a deployment? Opinions?

Options

Replies

• samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    And like I said, I could care less about the benefits. I have health insurance through work, and I can afford my expenses just fine. I don't need the benefits the military offers. I think I'll be talking to him tonight and going over a lot of the points that people have brought up. Thank you, everyone :flowerforyou:

If it were me, at this point, having read everything posted, I'd plan a wedding for after his return, have him save his pay while deployed for the wedding, and then have a beautiful wedding with all the family you like :heart: Best of luck!!!

That's pretty much what he's gonna hear from me tonight :P
    No need to rush. We have the rest of our lives :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I knew after 6 months that my then-boyfriend was the one for me.

I knew after 3, but then we split up....! The feeling at that point wasnt mutual! Seven years later we have just celebrated our 1st year of marriage!!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I was a Marine for 20 years. Its a brutally difficult life. Just be prepared for it and understand the ramifications. It is ENORMOUSLY difficult coming back from deployment for both spouses and Marines/sailors/soldiers. My personal opinion, wait. If he comes back and you feel the same way, knock yourself out.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    And like I said, I could care less about the benefits. I have health insurance through work, and I can afford my expenses just fine. I don't need the benefits the military offers. I think I'll be talking to him tonight and going over a lot of the points that people have brought up. Thank you, everyone :flowerforyou:

If it were me, at this point, having read everything posted, I'd plan a wedding for after his return, have him save his pay while deployed for the wedding, and then have a beautiful wedding with all the family you like :heart: Best of luck!!!

That's pretty much what he's gonna hear from me tonight :P
    No need to rush. We have the rest of our lives :)

Good luck in your marriage, whenever it happens to be! :flowerforyou:

I think this is a good thing to remember in this situation:
    If you're ready for it, go for it. Why ask us for our opinions? Since you are asking, you may not be ready....
    (Also note the word "may," not trying to judge, just share advice)
  • crystalreaves2
    crystalreaves2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Non military people don't understand the difference. The military has a higher divorce rate than is the national average. That being said ill share my story with you and that of a friend. We just got out of the army last year so I can feel where you're coming from.

Kody met his wife and married her her 3 months later. They seperated 3 months after marriage and than they both deployed when they got back they decided to try again and it just didn't work. That is a shortened story of the whole fiasco but they also didn't communicate and were very immature.

Now for me. Hubby and I got married 14 days after we met 3 yrs and 8 months ago but we also had a lot in common and were mature for our age. Marriage is marriage whether military or not, you haven to work for it.

My advice based on what I read about you is to go for it. Just 2 things never go to sleep angry with each other and always wake up with a kiss. Best of luck to you both!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Long-distance in general is NOT an easy relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for 15 months now -- for the first 6 months I lived in Florida (he lives in Colorado)...now I live in Utah (he still lives in Colorado). We're able to talk daily for long periods of time (plus texts and emails throughout the day) and we see each other about every other week, and we've been known to take week-long vacations. He is my best friend and I know I'll marry him one day, but there's no rush to be married.

I understand that you really love him, but military long-distance is twice as difficult as living 800 miles from someone. You can't talk all the time, and you won't see him for however long he's deployed. It's not easy on a wife to be home while her husband is overseas.
    It sounds like it's a rash decision though, and I would proceed with caution if I were you. You learn A LOT about a person the longer you've been together, and I'm not saying it can't work; but I am saying that first year brings a lot of "blind feelings" along -- meaning, you're more apt to ignore the things you don't really care for.

Only you know what's right for you. Although, coming on a forum and asking for advice probably means you haven't gotten the support you wanted/expected from your friends/family and you're hoping that the people on the forum will have your back and tell you that you should do it. But only you can make that decision. If you have doubt at all, then wait. It's really not a big deal to wait the 6 months while he's gone and then get married when he returns.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    To add to my previous post, I think it is a good idea to wait since his deployment will be so short. I was thinking that I had done long distance and had a long time away from my fiance, but hell, even I've done more than 6 months away from him! lol. To be honest, I would not ever go back and change the fact that we were 1200 miles apart for the first year. You really get to know someone in the time that they are not around. It doesn't make sense now, but it will eventually. I know marriage is exciting, but it is a big step, especially if you've not even lived together. I know you already know what you are going to do and I am not trying to convince you of anything, but I know you said you were just interested in what other people thought. :) I am the same way...I've already made up my mind, but if it's something kind of controversial I am always interested to hear other peoples' thought processes.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I kinda felt like that's how other people would view it. Getting married for the benefits. But that's not it at all. I could care less if there were benefits or not. I was fine with staying in my apartment and just doing my thing. He said he just cares so deeply for me that he wants to take necessary precautions if anything were to happen to him while he's gone.

I'm not infatuated with him. I'm in love. We've both been in long term relationships and are mature enough to know the difference. But I don't know how to explain that to people. They always seem to try to make it seem like it's something it's not.

I understand that ultimately it's our decision. I guess I should have known better than to post something that's contrary to what the majority of society agrees with. Silly me.

I don't dispute that you love him and you genuinely want to marry the guy. But like you just said there ^^^ you would have been happy just being in your apartment with things as they are. Don't get married for the practicalities. I genuinely mean that in the old fashioned soppy way of get married because you love each other and because the time is right, not because circumstances force you into it.

Do what makes you happy. Good luck x
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to close this post now that I know my answer lol.
    I don't want to gamble with my future.

Thanks again, everyone.

I'll tell him we can plan it for when he gets back. No need to rush.
  • mandi_444
    mandi_444 Posts: 156
    Options
    Ok... it sounds like you made a choice, and want us to just agree, and tell you that you are right.....possibly say it in a different voice.

Military life is hard...deployment changes you...SO are forced to change, become single parents, be alone, at the mercy of where the gov't sends them.... this will be an extreeme commitment! Dont make a rushed choice.... talk to a military couple (married at least 10years)

This! I was thinking the exact same thing. Your mind is already made up and you're looking for confirmation from us.

In my opinion, it is too soon. You are still in the "honeymoon" phase of the relationship. You are on a high right now and totally in love... I get that, but it wears out over time. My parents rushed into the same situation. They are still married (but it has been super tough for them). They saw all the benefits (the housing, the extra pay, the medical... etc). Just be patient. Wait until he gets back. See where the relationship goes. Best of luck to you!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Thanks again, everyone.

Eh, no reason to. If you don't want to read further, just let people ramble and say their piece, because at this point even if they have seen you've made up your mind, they are going to try to change it because of what their experiences are. Human nature. Or just continue reading and be interested in all the differing opinions.
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was in the Army. He was married before he met me. They had a son together who passed away two weeks after he was born. She cheated on him while he was deployed and got pregnant with another man's child. He was in Iraq dealing with his grief over the loss of his son with no one to talk to and also had to deal with the demise of a marriage. We met after he got back from his second deployment to Iraq and I can definitely tell that he has changed. He has night terrors, gets really bad anxiety, and talks a lot about how no one will understand unless they've been there. If you're not a patient person, this is tough to see and it is so hard to know what to say and what to do.

I will probably marry that boy some day, but it will be on my own timeline. Nothing rushed by the government.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Thanks again, everyone.

Eh, no reason to. If you don't want to read further, just let people ramble and say their piece, because at this point even if they have seen you've made up your mind, they are going to try to change it because of what their experiences are. Human nature. Or just continue reading and be interested in all the differing opinions.

Or consider that maybe there is someone else out there in a very similar situation and this post is serving to help them as well :smile:
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You only get married once, if all you want is the justice of the peace then go for it. But take it from another military wife, you only get one shot at it.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

I understand that ultimately it's our decision. I guess I should have known better than to post something that's contrary to what the majority of society agrees with. Silly me.

no you should have known better than to post asking for an opinion on something non fitness related in a fitness site and something it appears you've already made up your mind on.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You know what? If you can't decide in 6 months whether you want to marry a person or not, you never will be sure. It's mostly a willingness to commit and fortitude to remain committed long-term than the magic right person. Assuming that person isn't an addict, abuser or otherwise broken.
  • bjmarsh14
    bjmarsh14 Posts: 16
    Options
    I had a military ex that deployed to Afghanistan last November. We had been together for a month and he was already talking about me dropping out of Dental School in NC to get married and move to Clarksville, TN with him. I said fat-****ing-chance. I wasn't stupid. He ran all those same benefits/reasons by me too. Good thing I didn't.... he was cheating on me the whole time but tried so hard to get me to marry him just for that money. After I left him he tried cheating on his then-current girlfriend with me. So I am always weary of these military guys now. BUT.... all situations aren't the same as mine. If you really believe it is love then go for it. But do not be NAIVE!!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're making the right decision by waiting until after deployment. I'm a military wife and have met many, many people who have rushed into getting married before a deployment for the benefits and not a single one of them are still together. Seriously, they all got divorced shortly after returning from deployment for various reasons. It's sad to see that happen, especially to good people. My husband and I lived together and waited 6 years (yeah it's a long time but we were both young) before getting married and we went through 4 deployments at that point. He's in the Navy, so it might be slightly different than the Air Force, but I was still able to be notified about on-goings with his ship, and of course, he kept in constant contact with me so I got a lot of information that way.

Hope the deployment goes by quickly for you both and he returns safely. The first one is always the hardest to get through.

ETA: Regarding BHA, you don't have to live on base. If he is already receiving housing allowance, why don't you guys find a place together off base? Depending on what area you live in, you can find housing off base that is cheaper and still have BHA cover all of your rent and still have some extra money left over from it. That's what we did.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Thanks again, everyone.

I'm glad you made this decision.
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's a responsible man who loves you. If you can see yourself growing old, being there to help change his diaper and can put up with his male tendencies, or him being there to wipe the drool from your face and change your diaper then why not?

^^^ this. People get married for all kinds of reasons, anyway. Make the right decision for you. I moved in with my bf after only being together for a month or so, and I just knew that we'll get married. This is coming from someone who dated someone for 5+ years before getting married and divorced, and subsequently dated a few others semi-longterm without having that feeling. Time isn't always the tell-all. Sometimes, I really believe you just know.