Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    @ OP - you still don't get it....the WAY you phrased the question is what did you in from the beginning. It wasn't phrased as, or taken as, a harmless 'im just wondering' question. It came across as an attack on people that value their privacy and you are being responded to as such. Those people gave you defensive answers and reciprocated attack. You attack them again in your responses and get more flak. See the pattern? Attack, get attacked.

Your responses do not at all reflect your chosen username. Don't go stomping off in a "I'm never posting another question again" 4 year old sort of way. Instead, learn from this and try to phrase it a little better next time, if in fact it is a sincere question and not just trolling. Or, build up your internet thick skin.
    davidlikeaboss_zps651cca72.gif
  • newmommyo2
    newmommyo2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BEHOLD THE DOZEN DUCK AND CHICKEN EGGS I EAT IN A WEEK!

Lol! I eat that many eggs in a week as well.

Mmmmm.. Eggs.
  • Fjcookie
    Fjcookie Posts: 48
    Options
    I think judgment may be a huge factor. Although my diary is open, I feel someone might judge what I have eaten. For example, I have had tons of cravings, which I gave in to, for all kinds of unhealthy things this week-- cookies, fast foods, etc---and my diary reflects that. I am slightly ashamed that I gave into such bad choices, but I also was under my calorie goal for these days. Under calories goal, but still some very unhealthy choices. Other times, I go way overboard with my drinking, and I feel someone might think I am an alcoholic.

Anyhow, if leaving my diary open allows someone to better assist me on my journey... I am all for it. We as adults know when the foods we are taking in may not be the best for us but, we may not always want to hear it from someone else as many dont like criticism, constructiove or otherwise. In the end, we are all here to help one another though sometimes, the forums lead me to believe otherwise.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    edited because I posted twice
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I like the privacy.

I keep my diary to keep ME accountable.

Somedays I want to eat 4 slices of pizza and I don't want to be judged.

It's locked with a key, so if someone asks what I am eating I'm happy to share.
  • KlaJWolf
    KlaJWolf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends to keep me accountable. If you want to see it, add me!
  • kandyice1
    kandyice1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I want it private because the diary is for my personal use to count calories, etc. and I'm not looking for any help from the MFP community in regards to that. *shrugs shoulders*
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Because if you aren't on my friends list, why are you checking my diary? Mine is open if you are a friend, otherwise, it's closed.

This!
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    I don't think everyone should know every bite that goes into my mouth. And, especially on days like today, I ate at least 8 jumbo red vines. I stopped counting...

I love red vines,,,I just never changed the default,,and never really thought about it
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because some days are better than others and I don't want to be judged for having a bad day ... I ate the candy bar ... BIG DEAL i'm only human! :sad:
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Because it is no one's business what I eat?

^^This^^ it's no secret, but it's my food, my life. I log everything to track my calories to make sure I don't go over, I don't kid myself and don't see any reason why someone else in the world needs to be bothered as to whether I had an apple as a snack today or a cheese string.

well, which was it? Apple or cheese string? ;p
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

^^This^^ it's no secret, but it's my food, my life. I log everything to track my calories to make sure I don't go over, I don't kid myself and don't see any reason why someone else in the world needs to be bothered as to whether I had an apple as a snack today or a cheese string.

It was the cheese string! :laugh: But I reserve the right to have the apple later...... Mwahaha.

mhaknq.jpg
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    BEHOLD THE DOZEN DUCK AND CHICKEN EGGS I EAT IN A WEEK!
    LOL! I can't wait until I start trying that butter coffee people in paleo land have been talking about!

My diary was unshared for a long time, because that was the default. I decided to share it recently just because I ran across the setting but it's not really a big deal.
    I don't feel any need to look at people's food diaries
    I do! I think it's interesting to see what other people eat. Junk food, health food, paleo, lots of beer...whatever. I've never commented on anyone's diary, though.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options

hahahaha :)

It was the cheese string! :laugh: But I reserve the right to have the apple later...... Mwahaha.

mhaknq.jpg
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    After reading through several pages of this topic I'm a bit shocked to hear about the criticisms some people have received, leading them to close their diaries. When I used this site the first time (about 1.5 years ago) I never encountered anything negative. Fingers crossed it stays that way this time around, I suppose.

My diary is public because I feel like knowing other people can see what I eat will help me to make better choices. It's similar to petty "crime"; for example, knowing that speeding is against the law acts as a deterrent for me, so I behave more appropriately. If that makes sense. :)

To each their own, though. I don't think it really matters either way.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I ask that same question when I first joined MFP. And, I received some of the same answers. My diary has always been open and public since day 1. I have nothing to hide. How can the MFP community support you when you hide your diaries?
    So very true, I agree 100%!

Not everyone wants or needs support from random strangers on the internet...just saying
  • yoshigreen94
    Options
    I didn't show mine at first, because I wasn't using the forum and was solely using it as a calorie counter on my phone. Also if you use facebook to log in and you don't want people you know seeing it.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I know a lot of people think its personal, but aren't we "fitness pals"? I don't know. I am nosey. I like to see what people are eating for inspiration. I like food, and I like variety. And I care how people treat themselves. I want to help and be helped. That's why we are here. I totally blunder and all my friends can see it if they want to, but it keeps me from doing it TOO MUCH!

No this is not why we are all here why can't people understand that. What the hell type of site have I joined. I am not in to all this hand holding and crap.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people think its personal, but aren't we "fitness pals"? I don't know. I am nosey. I like to see what people are eating for inspiration. I like food, and I like variety. And I care how people treat themselves. I want to help and be helped. That's why we are here. I totally blunder and all my friends can see it if they want to, but it keeps me from doing it TOO MUCH!

No this is not why we are all here why can't people understand that. What the hell type of site have I joined. I am not in to all this hand holding and crap.

I think it's totally fine if you're not into giving/receiving support from members on MFP, but a lot of people do view this as a way to gain inspiration and support (especially if they don't have supportive people around them in "real" life). It's all personal choice as far as how deep into the community you choose to go. There's no need to be so negative about the fact that some people choose to get help from other people here.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Because they don't want to be judged on what they eat I'd think, I however couldn't care less, I eat what I like and I don't care who sees it ,Im human and I eat everything even sweets and processed on occasion on no the world might end jk but seriously Im human and I eat what s new.