Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options
Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

Replies

• happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Bacon and eggs. :) And coffee with cream.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Get rid of that trainer! There is no bad food that you should avoid unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Sure it has sugar, wheat and carbs but it's not terrible for you in moderation and will not harm your progress.

Eat cereal if you want to. I do now and again. If you don't (but make your own choice and not listen to that trainer), have eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, etc.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    5-6 egg whites, one whole egg and two pieces of wheat toast.

The problem with most cereals (IMO) is that they contain a lot of sugars and are processed. If you get something like Kashi or oatmeal, it is less processed and better for you. I use cereal as a snack/treat now, never as a meal. Plus, after I got my food scale and realized how small a serving size of cereal was and that I was typically eating 3-4 servings for the morning plus milk it really made me re-evaluate what I eat in the mornings with respect to calories.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Ditto, but I add either half of a Haas avocado or a 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    "bad" is relative to your goals.

For most people, in the simplest terms, "bad" is anything that prevents you from hitting your calorie and macro goals.

That being said, I don't eat breakfast. And no, my metabolism hasn't come to a screeching halt.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    I don't hold a high opinion of cereal in general, but it's not bad pre se, and why take nutritional advice from a trainer?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    3 cooked eggs and 3 turkey slices, omega and primrose oil !

yum yum !
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, but post workout I might eat cereal.Cocoa rice, Cocoa puffs, Cracklin Oat Bran, Honey Nut Cheerios, Apple Jacks, Raisin Bran etc.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    What ever I feel like! And not all cereal is bad. There are good ones too if you know where to look. I don't believe in cutting any thing "good or bad" I just make sure I log it :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Well, I had chocolate for breakfast today...
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    cereal is not bad i love cereal i eat it for dinner sometimes
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    Honey nut cheerios for most of the week. Light breakfast sandwich today.
  • ronnilgonnella
    Options
    One whole egg, 2 egg whites and 1-2 pieces turkey bacon. However, there are times when the thought of eating this yet again makes me nauseous. Those mornings, I eat whatever I want.
  • chidori_nep
    chidori_nep Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are bad! Sugar of coz is bad...but cereals contains lots of fibres that keep u full and low gi index with less insulin surge. But if what u mean by cereal is the sugar crusted ones or chocolate flavoured pops or koko krunch then he is right. Choose cereals mixed with dried fruits n nuts, and not the sweetened ones! I am mixing mine with oat bran, oats, some fruits and chia seed with flaxseeds...the seeds keep me full longer and I like the taste of them
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    the nurse/nutrion person who signed me up for mfp as dead set against things like rice krispies. almost psycotically so. anything white! i nodded politely..
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    fiber one original has no sugar and a lot of fiber so its good for you.
    I was told by my endocrinologist that cerial that has 0-1 or to 2 grams of sugar is not bad for you
    you have to be careful because you have cerials that they warp in to making you think that it is healthy for you
    such as frosted cheerios. original cheerios is good frosted is bad
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Ditto, but I add either half of a Haas avocado or a 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole.

I think i :heart: you. That's one of my absolute favorite breakfasts. :wink:
  • Beccaboyd2323
    Options
    COFFEE AND CREAMER
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Usually oatmeal/porridge because I love the stuff and its easy to make. I do love breakfast foods though so once a week (Thursday) we have breakfast for our evening meal. So last night was 4 rashers of bacon, 3 eggs, three slices of toast, and some baked beans....and I make sure it fits in my calories so I NEVER feel guilty about it!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

My fav breakfast!! Cheers!