Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It would take me hours to burn that many calories! Guess it is because I am 135 and not 235.
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah it took me 2 hours to burn that much
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    On my long runs of 8+ miles, I will easily burn 1000+ calories. For me, 8 miles is approximately 80 minutes at a comfortable pace.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I only can do that on my long run days (6+ miles)
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant and over 200 lbs to begin with. I burn 100 cals per 10 minutes of walking. It would NOT be hard for me to burn a lot of calories in a short time. This is from my HRM.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can easliy burn 1000 calories when I'm hiking even for an hour. I also run the flat spots on the local mountain that my friends and I hike on. Mind you it's a small mountain but it's a steep little mountain in spots. LOL :tongue:

I use a HRM whenever I'm up there and most times I burn over 1000 calories depending on what we do.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

People believe anything those inaccurate gym machines say.
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to tell me how many calories I'm actually burning. I've never burned 1000+, but the highest I ever burned was in the 800s doing 2 cardio classes at the gym.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Between walking quickly to and from my hot yoga class and then doing the class, I am usually pretty close to 1000 calories. If I add a walk at my lunch or take the dogs out for a walk in the evening I go beyond 1000 in one day.

I weigh 165 and am in average shape. I couldn't do two of the hour long hot yoga classes on the same week day.
  • Troy_Boy1969
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I'm working out to measure the calories burned. This morning, for example, I burned 831 cals during 62 mins of calistenics. It was very intense! I nearly hit my max heart rate several times.

Happy training,

Troy
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I burn over 1000 calories, per my HRM, spending over a hour mowing my lawn. But I'm bigger.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor I burn 1027 calories doing 7 miles of running. I'm 196lbs FYI.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender have a 1,000 cal workout, it is pretty long and obviously cal burned will vary. I have done this and was shattered at then end. But I liked the feeling of achievement for sticking it out!

Yes!!!! I tried this but didn't quite make it to 1000 (970). I loved every minute of it :-)
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh 198lb at my last check, I cycle a 42 mile round trip into work Mon-Fri.
    This is not over flat ground, there are some rather large hills! :happy:

So yes, I can burn that easily, especially if I am doing 21miles in under 1hr 40mins... (trip in 21 miles, trip back 21 miles).

http://app.strava.com/activities/59573851
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/202058905/4330332

I use a GPS computer with both an HRM and Cadence sensor.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    It would take me hours to burn that many calories! Guess it is because I am 135 and not 235.

Glad it's not just me. I did the FitnessBlender 1000 Calorie workout and managed 625 cals in the best part of 90 mins. I aim for 500 cals a day workout and it always takes me at least 1hr15 :-(
  • SprSonik
    SprSonik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Work hard and/or long...I easily burn over 2000 cal on a 3+ hour mtn bike ride, or 1000 in an hour of intense intervals.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Various cardio based classes do this too - cardio kickboxing burns 800-1000 depending on your size, and even an hour of (vigorous) zumba or other aerobics should burn 600-800, depending on your weight.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    i eat at TDEE -20% (or try to) so i don't factor in my burned calories.

Doesn't this make life so much simpler? Aaahhhhh, enjoy all of your spare time that you are saving from not nitpicking over an exact calorie burn. :drinker:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I average around 400 calories for an hour of interval cardio and stregth training. Throw in 1.5 hours of tennis or more and that is over 1000 for the day. I base my numbers on HRM, general stats, then take the lowest common burns. I probably do much more than that, though not as high as what MFP guestimates. They always seem pretty high.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    After two and half months of wearing a body media monitor I have come to the conclusion that all those inflated calorie burns are bogus. I can do the Cardio 1 DVD from Body Revolution and it puts me at a 180+ burn for 30 minutes. I laugh to myself when people think they burned thousands of calories based on calculations from this site or even their HRM. I put 100% effort in and get that burn at 5'4" 154. I think Body monitors are the only true way to get a somewhat accurate number.

Agreed. I wore both my Polar FT4 and the BodyMedia initially so that I could compare. HRM said I burnt ~10 calories a minute if I worked really hard. Media said I burn maybe 8, occasionally 9 and always has a burn several hundred lower than the FT4. E.g. for Insanity, I had a HRM burn of 550-650 calories, Media says I burn 350-400. The discrepency gets higher the longer I work out.

During a particularly intense workout this evening, with sweat dripping off my face and onto the floor, Media says I burnt 321 calories in an hour.

Edit for the numbers people: 5'6" 155lbs.