40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,984 Member
    Options
    newbeg1ning - my paralegal also said when she was visiting HER massage therapist this month, that the SAME comment was made to her - about her having "MORE MUSCLES"!!

I would take THAT compliment VERY SERIOUSLY! I mean, if a MASSAGE THERAPIST is noticing that change, it is REAL. For sure!

Wow, that's awesome news!

I agree - I can't figure out why some peeps don't lift?? I just ran through my mfp friends and one of 'em just posted that she did 120 minutes of "stairclimber". Huh???????????????? She didn't read the memo, for SURE!

(And, yet, I'm pretty CLEAR about my LOVE OF LIFTING!)

Anyway, to each-her-own, of course.
  • Joeparr
    Joeparr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 45 yrs old male. Who has let his body grow threw the years. I am so glad I found this web site. Thank you for starting a 40s page. I need to lose around 120lbs from my 6'4 frame that weights is above 360. Thank you again for the support .....Joe
  • ldstrange
    ldstrange Posts: 17
    Options
    Wow! I must be the only surviving "relic" on MFP. All you kids in your 40's better behave and eat your veggies! lol
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I happened to stumble on this page today and am finding this would be a good group to join. I will turn 42 next month and am a single mom of a 6 yr old boy.

My stats are the following:

HT: 5'-6"
    SW: 143.5lbs
    CW: 137
    GW: 134 +/-

As I reach closer to my goal weight, I'm realizing what I'm really looking for is to decrease body fat and put back some of the muscle lost over the years. Prior to this, all I did for fitness was run. I still love running and continue it, but I want a stronger body and better overall health.

I'm hitting the gym 2 days a week currently due to schedule, but plan to add another day to that mix.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you better.
    Thanks!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Welcome joeparr! You'll find LOTS of great support here! What is your "plan" to lose that 120 lbs you don't want/need?

ldstrange - well, what's YOUR secret to "longevity"??

marcon125 - welcome to this wonderful place! Sounds like you are working towards a reachable goal, so that's very exciting!
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I agree - I can't figure out why some peeps don't lift?? I just ran through my mfp friends and one of 'em just posted that she did 120 minutes of "stairclimber". Huh???????????????? She didn't read the memo, for SURE!

(And, yet, I'm pretty CLEAR about my LOVE OF LIFTING!)

Anyway, to each-her-own, of course.

stairclimber??? Oy!!!

I also LOVE lifting and by extension LOVE my new and improved "big" muscles :) for someone like me being your typical book worm and couch resident for the better part of my adult life, doing things like I do now and seeing the results is pretty exciting

Joeparr - you'll be surprised of what our 40+ year old bodies are capable of doing if we push hard enough, good luck!

Happy Friday everyone! and a warm welcome to all the newbies.
  • AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to report back to ya'll....a form of accountability for myself. I had my week in Vegas last week and I'm proud to report that not only did I manage to keep within my calorie intake and did NOT get out of hand with the free drinks, I started INSANITY on the Monday I showed up and kept to the schedule all week.

Damn!! Talk about commitment! I'm heading to NH on vacation in two weeks and I hope I can SOMEWHAT keep in my calories for each day! Too easy to blow your daily limit with New England Clam Chowdah!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today, I lift! (also, I have to step on the scale - although I'm pretty pumped about that, since I've had a low-calorie week!)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the weigh in Beeps! You are seriously committed!

Have had a couple of clean eating days and decent water intake (could use more).

Had 2 long work days and never got a workout in either day. Hopefully can do so today.

Not sure what the weekend will bring, but hopefully some fitness fun stuff.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm beat. Work-out killed me - just SO much lower-body work! So, ultimately, I must be burning a few more calories than I'm anticipating.

No matter - am trying for a calorie-free afternoon, because am having supper out with gf's to celebrate a gf's birthday - and I want alcohol!

sdereski - I hope you can have some "me" time this weekend - sounds like you need some!

For us, it's baseball, dance competition, but "yes", I'll get my cardio in on Saturday and for Sunday, father's day, MUCHO EATING-O, so also need to keep calories low on Saturday to compensate.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Today was weigh day for me and I am down 1lb. Yahoo!

Still feeling a bit on the down side, but getting the exercise in helps. I got to spend the morning with my grandson and didn't come in to work until almost 12:00 because I worked almost 12 hours yesterday. (I work in a no overtime environment)

I will walk tonight and hit the gym tomorrow morning.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Congrats on the weight-lost Kelly Sue! that's AWESOmE!

And, I know you enjoy time with your grandson, so it sounds like an awesome Friday!

I just can't wait for this work-week to be over...........
  • ldstrange
    ldstrange Posts: 17
    Options
    Welcome joeparr! You'll find LOTS of great support here! What is your "plan" to lose that 120 lbs you don't want/need?

ldstrange - well, what's YOUR secret to "longevity"??

marcon125 - welcome to this wonderful place! Sounds like you are working towards a reachable goal, so that's very exciting!

The secret I have learned is NOT to do all those things I did 40 years ago. Or as somebody famous (W C Fields?) once said, "If I knew I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself. :)
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Wrong...just wrong... I was talking to my husband, and used the word "fun" to describe adding the biggest loser for Wii to my routine..Who am i , I just don't even know me anymore! However that being said,, after i started breathing again,,it was kinda fun! :laugh:
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Can I join you cool kids? I am from Vancouver BC. I've been on MFP for awhile and I have made some major changes especially with exercise cardio and heavy lifting. The food thing is always up and down with me. I drive myself crazy. Right now I am just trying to pay attention - I eat very healthy but apparently eat too damn much.

Happy to meet you all.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    42 here and I'm so cool people (my husband) call me cold. :grumble:
  • MsLizz66
    MsLizz66 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm looking for some support, even tho I am not much of a joiner. But I am 47, which is a struggle enough for me to admit (I have some age issues). I am about to become a grandmother, so you can imagine the age-issue flare ups lately. I enjoy eating healthy, and I feel like I've done well for te past month or so, but have not lost.
    I have a few health problems that prevent me from doing some exercise, but I could walk more.
    I'm feeling pretty down about my inability to lose, and was about to blame it on my age and metabolism.....but then I ran across this board and see some fellow 40-ish people. Looking forward to being here!
  • JaniseNikolic
    JaniseNikolic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my husband keeps telling me the same thing...."quit the little weights and push some real pounds! otherwise it doesn't count for anything"! So I am taking his advice for the summer and hitting it hard! Hoping it works out just like he says it will!
  • JaniseNikolic
    JaniseNikolic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can I join you cool kids? I am from Vancouver BC. I've been on MFP for awhile and I have made some major changes especially with exercise cardio and heavy lifting. The food thing is always up and down with me. I drive myself crazy. Right now I am just trying to pay attention - I eat very healthy but apparently eat too damn much.

Happy to meet you all.

I want to join too! 42....in less than 20 days I will hit the one year mark on MFP! Stalled out the last 8 weeks! Lots of stress and very little time. Looking to set some new goals for the next year, especially in the lifting area! Any suggestions in that area would be much appreciated!
    Cheers!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi!

Today I lift!

Hope everyone had a Happy Father's Day, yesterday....we did. I enjoyed only 1 eggs benedict in the morning, ate zip until supper and had 2 cups of pasta. I didn't bloat much, but I sure won't step on the scale, today.

2 weeks until end-of-June....so, my focus has to be LASER-BEAM from now on. Upcoming "photos" and "tape measure" is REALLY all I need to stay focused!