Do you shop at Trader Joe's?

Options

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    We don't have one near where I live. In fact I had never heard of it until MFP, I'm assuming its a discount grocery store similar to Aldi's. I buy my grocery's at Walmart, and sometimes Hyvee.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i went there for the first time last weekend coz i wanted some Israeli couscous and tahini ... so i ended up buying 2 whole bags of food too! i was amazed that i got a whole bag of couscous for $1.39 .. sure it takes 10 minutes top of the stove to cook, but wow it was so worth it,, i love that stuff. i thought the prices are great and they have a selection of things I need.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    ahhh just started going a few weeks ago.. and here's what i got..

the less guilt mac n cheese a five star rating.. 270

the indian dish.. Paneer Tiki Masala 300 calories five stars too

the less guilt individual primavera pizza is five stars also 250 calories.

I've tried a few other less guilt meals.. pretty bad.. but worth trying things out because when it is good.. it is great.
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love the Joe! I tried Whole Foods once and their prices were significantly higher.

At Trader Joes I usually pick up: frozen so green beans, almond meal, sardines, bananas, butternut squash cubes, cauliflower, frozen chicken, jasmine rice, frozen mixed berries, sprouted bread, raisin crisps, goat cheese, and lavender hand lotion. I also love their dark chocolate nibs...a great pick me up every now and then!

I get my "special" but needed items at the Joe and fill in with a regular grocery store run like Walmart or something for bath tissue, basic meat, etc. There are some cheaper things at regular stores and one grocery is much closer to my home. I hit Trader Joe when I'm out and about for other errands. I try to stage it all to conserve gas and use up coupons! Lol!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Most of the food I eat personally comes from Trader Joe's. They are the only place I can find meat that has not been injected with saltwater (which often triples the amount of sodium). Their prices are excellent and their selection is better than you'd expect.

Now if they'd only start carrying lower sodium bacon and low sodium greek yogurt, I'd buy everything I eat from them. ;)
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm super into their sunflower seed butter and their non-dairy vanilla creamer for my coffee!

I keep seeing that and think about buying it, but never do. I'm assuming you would recommend it? Maybe on my next run I'll give it a go...
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hands down,,,wasabi seaweed.....I love it and low in calories.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Favorite thing at Trader Joe's.... Fiberful Ends and Pieces! The only get them in every so often, but they are my favorite and I will buy every bag they have in stock if I see them (sorry to everyone else in my area who also likes them). :wink:
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love their Sunflower Seed Butter.
  • CobyEP
    CobyEP Posts: 2
    Options
    I live near the border in Canada and drive about an hour to stock up on my favourite items every couple months or so. Necessities are:
    10 minute farro
    Chai Rooibos Tea
    Unsweetened unsulphered dried mango
    chimichurri rice
    whole wheat pizza dough
    hummus
    organic canned tomatoes/tomato sauce
    any of the frozen fish
    frozen roasted corn kernels
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    We don't have one near where I live. In fact I had never heard of it until MFP, I'm assuming its a discount grocery store similar to Aldi's. I buy my grocery's at Walmart, and sometimes Hyvee.
    We have an Aldii'sand a Trader Joe's nearby. There are some similarities, but I think of Trader Joe's as kind of a downscale Whole Foods. Healthy Food at Walmart prices. Aldi's is more like a mini-Walmart. I shop all of them. Trader Joes, Aldi's and Walmart.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Yes! But only for COOKIE BUTTER! It's super tasty!

^^^100% this!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Yes! But only for COOKIE BUTTER! It's super tasty!

Never heard of that, but man that sounds heavenly.
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love TJ's!

Stuff I buy regularly:
    Rustic Sourdough Bread
    Frozen Naan (awesome for making individual pizzas on the grill!)
    Frozen green beans
    Best Ketchup EVER - seriously, better than Heinz!
    BBQ sauce!
    Relish
    Refried black beans
    Rice crackers with flaxseed & soy sauce - super tasty snack
    Red pepper hummus is delicious!
    Tahini sauce (for making your hummus, so grab a can of garbanzo beans, too!)
    Dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt turbinado sugar - heaven!
    All their dark chocolate bars are good
    Peanut butter (good for dipping squares of awesome dark chocolate!)
    Greek yogurt! I get their 2% because it has more protein than the full fat - weird.
    Chocolately Cat Cookies
    Cinnamon ABC cookies
    Dark chocolate chunk & almond cookies
    Pop Chips (cheaper than the real brand and taste the same!)
    Corn & Chili salsa
    Green Salsa
    Pineapple Salsa
    Multi-grain oatmeal
    Dog treats! My dogs beg for them!
    Face lotion with sunscreen, I can't remember what it's called exactly...
    The wine department is always fun! They have good descriptions for wine newbies like me, and great prices!

Ohhh! I’m glad you mentioned the ketchup. I’m pretty picky about my ketchup, I like Heinz, but if you think the Trader Joe’s one is good, I think I’ll give it a try.

I also wanted to try their BBQ sauce. Which one do you get? I think they have a couple.
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well I made a shopping list from this board and here is the new stuff I got:

- Cookie Butter: Everyone seems to go crazy for it! How do you eat it? I realize from the spoon is suggested by a lot of you ;) but I’d like to spread it on something or dip it in something.

- BBQ Pulled Chicken: OMG! Delicious!! I love to cook, but there are some days I do not have much time to prepare a meal. This is great on their Whole wheat buns! 140 calories for the Chicken (1/3 pack) and 110 for the bun! Yuuuuummm!

- Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels: LOVE THEM! When I am starving I just eat 3-5 and it helps calm my hunger so I do not binge.

- Cowboy Salsa: It’s a black bean, corn, red pepper salsa. I think it’s only “OK”. It’s spicy and sweet, but the sweetness is a little too much for me.

- Reduced Guilt Guacamole: It’s made with Greek Yogurt. I use Avocado every week so this will be easier to use instead of the avocado. I have not tried it yet. Hope it’s good!

I am sure I am forgetting some stuff, but this is what I got so far. I have a huge list of stuff I want to try.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Keep them coming if you have anymore :)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I love TJ's!

Stuff I buy regularly:
    Rustic Sourdough Bread
    Frozen Naan (awesome for making individual pizzas on the grill!)
    Frozen green beans
    Best Ketchup EVER - seriously, better than Heinz!
    BBQ sauce!
    Relish
    Refried black beans
    Rice crackers with flaxseed & soy sauce - super tasty snack
    Red pepper hummus is delicious!
    Tahini sauce (for making your hummus, so grab a can of garbanzo beans, too!)
    Dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt turbinado sugar - heaven!
    All their dark chocolate bars are good
    Peanut butter (good for dipping squares of awesome dark chocolate!)
    Greek yogurt! I get their 2% because it has more protein than the full fat - weird.
    Chocolately Cat Cookies
    Cinnamon ABC cookies
    Dark chocolate chunk & almond cookies
    Pop Chips (cheaper than the real brand and taste the same!)
    Corn & Chili salsa
    Green Salsa
    Pineapple Salsa
    Multi-grain oatmeal
    Dog treats! My dogs beg for them!
    Face lotion with sunscreen, I can't remember what it's called exactly...
    The wine department is always fun! They have good descriptions for wine newbies like me, and great prices!

Ohhh! I’m glad you mentioned the ketchup. I’m pretty picky about my ketchup, I like Heinz, but if you think the Trader Joe’s one is good, I think I’ll give it a try.

I also wanted to try their BBQ sauce. Which one do you get? I think they have a couple.

stick to heinz there is no replacing heinz.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't care for the place.......ugggggggggg.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Don't care for the place.......ugggggggggg.

why not??? they have good products at good prices. and most of the stuff is minimally processed gmo free and all that other crap some of you health freaks go crazy over.

I did boycott them for like 3 years when they stopped selling habenero pistachios
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    the reduced guilt guac omg....and the frozen Beijing style veggies.