Anyone gone to Mexico for dental work??

Options

Replies

• marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    :noway:....There are dentists who will work with you in terms of paying. Surely you can find on in your area that will do that instead of going to Mexico.
  • Sherman7057
    Sherman7057 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Really racism?????????????? Where?? Dont you see the nightly news??? Can you guess why there are mexicans trying to come into this country?

Its not because they love Mexico!!!!!!!!!!

Stop using racism as an excuse to hate on somebody for expressing their opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    my husband and I were on a cruise and he got an awful toothache. we ask the doctor for recommendations and he hooked us up with the dentist that the crew uses while in port-- our next port of call was Acapulco. the dentist's husband, who is also a dentist, met us at the port when we arrived, and drove us to her office. His wife worked on my husband for almost 3 to 4 hours. In the end it cost is $580. When we got home we had our dentist check out the work, and she had to redo it with a root canal & crown, but she did give us a slight discount since we just had a dental examination about a month before we left and my husband told her that he was having just a little twinge of pain in the tooth and was told it was probably sinus
    problems. so for us I would say it's not worth going to Mexico to have your teeth done...although the dentist did offer to take us to watch the cliff divers for free after the procedure (which we declined).
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mexico has some great doctors and dentist , you just need to find a good one. Do you know Spanish ?? Is easier to research doctor if you know the native language.

People have negative views , because of the horror stories but hey the same thing happen in the USA if you go to shady doctors with questionable backgrounds .
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman who went to Mexico for a boob job.
    Hilarity ensued
    Just not for her

I know a woman who had cosmetic surgery here in the US. A tummy tuck. She died.

Luckily, I heard that story only AFTER I had my successful tummy tuck done here in the US. I lived.

(otherwise I'm pretty sure my family would have not trusted the doctors here. then who's left? the alien mothership hospitals?)

try Costa Rica. i hear it's way better than THE ENTIRE COUNTRY OF MEXICO. because all Mexicans are a monolith. and a low hygiene monolith, apparently.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Interesting. The USA and Europe never had the custom of cleaning the top of a freshly opened bottle of beer with a lime, but Mexico did. Now we know why. :laugh:

Oh my god this reminds me of a story, beer bottle gross story in 3.....2......1

One time I was a mexican and went to a los angeles night club. I was waiting at the bar to order beers for my friends and a drink for me. Then some guy came up behind me and shoved money past me to the bartender ordering something. (I forget his nationality/ethnicity as I'm sure it's important to some of you, but wasn't and isn't to me). So when his drink came before mine, (no surprise money talks and bulls!t walks) I was angered because I had ordered first. When he went even further by being all smug smile and winking at me while I handed him his beer I lost all control. I licked the top of his beer as if to call dibs like a kid who licks the silverware at the table place setting where he wants to sit. He took the beer from my hand grazed my finger and drank it anyway! Even smacking his lips like it was the best beer he ever tasted. If I hadn't been so mad from being cut in line in front of from behind, I'd have laughed and probably dated him. I know, I'm conflicted.
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you must be completely insane (no offense, im just trying to be honest here) i'd look around where u live, or a close by area, and try to find out different prices that other doctors might offer. or you can finance and pay it off over a few months/yr or whatever amount of time you would need. if something goes wrong and you're in mexico getting this done, they can act like it never happened and the united states CANNOT do anything about it to try and help. usually the doctors will work with you so i'd say look around for lower prices or finance.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta and I have an awesome dentist.

ETA: I haven't needed major work, because I was blessed with good teeth, but my family has enjoyed excellent care.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

I only drink Mexican beer. NOW I might be worried. Nah .
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a second or even a third opinion? What if you need follow-up work?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Really racism?????????????? Where?? Dont you see the nightly news??? Can you guess why there are mexicans trying to come into this country?

Stop using racism as an excuse to hate on somebody for expressing their opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the Mexicans are coming here because of the excellent dental work in America? WTF nightly news are you watching? You might want to adjust your antennae because I think it's broked.

And for the record, all of the the Mexicans I know love Mexico with all their heart. They came here for work, not because they hate their homeland. Just sayin.....
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lived and travelled in Mexico and Central America, I say go for it. But only under the following conditions:

1) get a dentist recommendation from a wealthier someone (preferably several someones) who lives in the area you want to have your treatment in. Maybe you have an acquaintance who had family there? If you can't do that because you don't know anyone, then don't do it.

2) visit the place ahead of time to meet with the professional

3) if it doesn't feel right, then don't do it.

While quality definitely can vary, México has many state of the art medical institutions that rival those in North America. You just have to find the right place.

I have a few stories from two years in Guatemala that might be illustrative.

First, I had a serious injury and went to an ER and received substandard care that could have, but thankfully didn't, make my injury worse. Later, though, I had a very successful surgery on the injury at a world-class hospital, Centro Medico in Guatemala City, followed by months of effective physical therapy. All the professionals I worked with were competent, kind, and affordable. I should have gone to Centro Medico in the first place, but I hadn't planned for an emergency.

Second story: my husband, who is from Guatemala, lives with me here in the U.S. When he needed his tonsils removed, we decided to have him go to Guate to do it. Even with my supposedly good insurance (I'm a teacher) it was way cheaper for us to fly him down there and pay for the surgery in cash, than to do it here. We are planning on doing the same thing with his wisdom teeth.

Of course, there are security issues in Mexico. Use your brain with that.

My point is this: don't write off health care in developed countries just because so-and-so had a bad experience. Shop carefully and thoroughly, get recommendations from many people, get estimates on writing, and pay attention to gut feelings.

I'd love to know if you go, and how it turns out.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Is also funny that people are basing their opinion of the Mexican medical system based on the Mexican immigrants.

Most of people who immigrate are extremely poor , where do you think the upper and middle Mexican class is going for their treatments?? Do you think they traveling abroad for treatment???
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What surprises me is that while reading through the comments I never once saw "Well if you can afford to go outside of your country (fly or otherwise) then you should have no issue being able to afford any dental procedure done in Canada." Yes you might get a decent vacation but if complications arise which is a possibility anywhere, do you plan to go back to Mexico or pay top dollar to go to a dentist in your province like you should have in the very beginning?

If you don't like your dentist, I suggest looking for a new one within close proximity.

EXACTLY!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman who went to Mexico for a boob job.
    Hilarity ensued
    Just not for her

I know a woman who had cosmetic surgery here in the US. A tummy tuck. She died.

Luckily, I heard that story only AFTER I had my successful tummy tuck done here in the US. I lived.

(otherwise I'm pretty sure my family would have not trusted the doctors here. then who's left? the alien mothership hospitals?)

try Costa Rica. i hear it's way better than THE ENTIRE COUNTRY OF MEXICO. because all Mexicans are a monolith. and a low hygiene monolith, apparently.

Yeah, let's ignore that there are different standards of care and can vary widely, as per the website I linked. And that there would be little to no recourse for the OP should she be unsatisfied with the work 5gat is done.

But by all means, keep up the righteous indignation!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had my dental work done at a local dental school, and it was a wonderful experience. All the students that worked on me were in their last year and about to graduate and had a seasoned dentist supervising them the whole time. It's not Mexico I know, but maybe an alternative to think about, and most likely cheaper than traveling to Mexico.....
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

So the Mexicans are coming here because of the excellent dental work in America? WTF nightly news are you watching? You might want to adjust your antennae because I think it's broked.

And for the record, all of the the Mexicans I know love Mexico with all their heart. They came here for work, not because they hate their homeland. Just sayin.....

I work with dozens of Mexicans, both legal and illegal immigrants, and all of them love Mexico and have a huge amount of Mexican pride. Only one of them has said they hated Mexico.
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is also funny that people are basing their opinion of the Mexican medical system based on the Mexican immigrants.

Most of people who immigrate are extremely poor , where do you think the upper and middle Mexican class is going for their treatments?? Do you think they traveling abroad for treatment???

Second that.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wasn't this on an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

http://aqua-teen-hunger-force.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Model
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    costanza-answering-machine.gif