I get bulky from weights...

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

3. One or more posters who are no where near their goal weights argue this ad nauseum, ignoring good advice from the knowledgable and experienced posters,

if this is meant to refer to me: I'm at goal weight, have been maintaining for 2 years. Last year I achieved perfectly acceptable results, was at 23% bf, doing bodyweight interval workouts & high-rep (10-20) dumbbells. (i am *still* at goal weight, have been thrown by injury)

i'm no expert, but i do read a bunch, and in the main, there are 2 ways to reduce bf%:
    - increase muscle mass
    - reduce fat (while maintaining some muscle - bodyweight resistance with careful nutrition - yes, no argument - can do that)

lots of assumptions being made here.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Oh good, this post went the same direction they always go:

1. Someone posts a thread convinced that weight lifting will make you bigger even if you eat at a deficit (ignoring the gym bros that spend years looking exactly the same),
    2. Experienced lifters point out why this is incorrect,
    3. One or more posters who are no where near their goal weights argue this ad nauseum, ignoring good advice from the knowledgable and experienced posters,
    4. Someone posts with the "ewww icky, muscles, I like yoga" comment, and
    5. thread goes to hell.

And that folks, is why many people who know what we're talking about end up posting silly gifs and snarky comments in forum posts with certain questions. It's not worth the headache of actually helping.

- with respect to 4. above - if that was me, I sincerely apologise. However, when dilligently practised I believe that yoga, and progressive bodyweight strength training, are real alternatives to weightlifting in the pursuit of strength increase and fat loss to arrive at the physique I imagine the OP is aiming for.

In no way do I think my approach is superior - it's just an alternative path which may be more accessible and less threatening to some people.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    and now people wan't to argue with me about what I like my body to look like... guess what ? I already look great, always have. I am fit, healthy and thin, where I'd like to be. You know what Alan said to me when I first sent bikini pics to him a few years ago? "Don't change a thing." In my diet and so on. You all seem to respect him so I'm throwing it out there. I am happy! healthy! thin! It's MY body, and I love it.

No one cares. You're attention seeking again and showing no interest in actually helping the OP.

Funny how i usually pm the op a message replying to their interests.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh good, this post went the same direction they always go:

1. Someone posts a thread convinced that weight lifting will make you bigger even if you eat at a deficit (ignoring the gym bros that spend years looking exactly the same),
    2. Experienced lifters point out why this is incorrect,
    4. Someone posts with the "ewww icky, muscles, I like yoga" comment, and
    5. thread goes to hell.

And that folks, is why many people who know what we're talking about end up posting silly gifs and snarky comments in forum posts with certain questions. It's not worth the headache of actually helping.

- with respect to 4. above - if that was me, I sincerely apologise. However, when dilligently practised I believe that yoga, and progressive bodyweight strength training, are real alternatives to weightlifting in the pursuit of strength increase and fat loss to arrive at the physique I imagine the OP is aiming for.

In no way do I think my approach is superior - it's just an alternative path which may be more accessible and less threatening to some people.

It's the "ooo icky" part I have a problem with (and it wasn't you that said that). I have no issue whatsoever with yoga. If someone wants flexibility I think it's great. I used it when I was younger and heavily involved with martial arts for that reason. My aunt is a lifetime practitioner and that, along with years of ballet, is why in her late 60s she still looks fantastic. It will, however, only make you stronger to a point. Once your body adapts to the amount of resistance applied you will cease getting stronger. That is why weight lifting, and specifically barbell training, is as good as it gets for strength training. That said, not everyone is after maximum strength and I completely understand that. Every exercise has its advantages and disadvantages and I'm not here to convert the masses to weight lifting. I did, however, post here to correct the misconception that weight lifting will make anyone bulky WITHOUT eating at a surplus. That's it. That was the entire point of the OP's post. And that specific point is the only thing I addressed. From there the the thread went exactly the direction these threads always go.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile picture I think you might need to reassess your definition of bulky.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    @ Beach Iron. Understood and I agree. Just for the record - there's no "oo icky" on my part. I work damn hard for my muscles and they are essential in supporting me in all those up-side-down and off centre yoga postures. Wouldn't be possible without muscles.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]
  • CrankMeUp
    Options
    and now people wan't to argue with me about what I like my body to look like... guess what ? I already look great, always have. I am fit, healthy and thin, where I'd like to be. You know what Alan said to me when I first sent bikini pics to him a few years ago? "Don't change a thing." In my diet and so on. You all seem to respect him so I'm throwing it out there. I am happy! healthy! thin! It's MY body, and I love it.

No one cares. You're attention seeking again and showing no interest in actually helping the OP.

What does what you posted have anything to do with getting bulky and lifting weights? or about what you like your body to look like? no one is arguing with you
  • BeachIron
    Options
    @ Beach Iron. Understood and I agree. Just for the record - there's no "oo icky" on my part. I work damn hard for my muscles and they are essential in supporting me in all those up-side-down and off centre yoga postures. Wouldn't be possible without muscles.

We're good, C4RL05. I've seen your posts and you seem like a reasonable guy and I very much respect your position on yoga. I hope I made that clear with my comment about my aunt. My issue is solely with the body shaming and the misperception about how one actually gets bigger. The problem is that these threads inevitably end up in a "my exercise program is better" shouting match and that doesn't help the OP or anyone else. For the record, I feel the same way about the bodybuilders that give runners grief about running. I run and lift. That combination works for me. I also don't do CrossFit. It's not for me. I have friends that love it. Everyone is certainly entitled to find what works for them.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Glad you said it, I have noticed this before in other threads.
    Self obsessed much ?
    No-one cares how thin you are, or how many yoga poses you can do, seriously.
    Stop taking over other peoples' threads.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

What does what you posted have anything to do with getting bulky and lifting weights or YOUR body?

? and everything you post is helpful to others? lol I don't care to be "bulky", my body looks great now. Bodyweight works if you're not too big...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hey,

This is actually not because of lifting weights but rather the type of weightlifting. Crossfit gives you an emaciated and bulky look, yes.

Just like cardio... whether you're walking on an incline, jogging, or sprinting... they will all have very different effects in terms of body composition (what your body looks like) and that includes eating the exact same diet.

I would try lifting weights, starting in the 10 rep range going close to failure by the 10th rep, sometimes reaching it. Take 30-60 seconds rest between each set. Shoot for 15-30 sets (4-6 exercises)... and you will see dramatically different results than crossfit. Also, lots of crossfit exercises do not isolate your muscles, they're compound movements - again, this is going to result in that bulky look that all crossfitters inevitably get.

Do a google search... look at different athletes. That's all the proof you need right there. Look at physique competitors (steve cook, greg plitt ...etc) vs. top crossfit guys (Rich Froning...etc) Crossfit athletes are in GREAT shape. There's no doubt about that. But personally, I don't think the results are visually pleasing. Then you can compare women who do crossfit vs. women who compete in bikini. In a women I think the bikini competitor look is a lot hotter. Of course, it's a personal preference, but it seems like that's what you're after.

So yeah... it's not the weights, but rather the method of training.

Emaciated and bulky. Seems legit.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hey,

This is actually not because of lifting weights but rather the type of weightlifting. Crossfit gives you an emaciated and bulky look, yes.

Just like cardio... whether you're walking on an incline, jogging, or sprinting... they will all have very different effects in terms of body composition (what your body looks like) and that includes eating the exact same diet.

I would try lifting weights, starting in the 10 rep range going close to failure by the 10th rep, sometimes reaching it. Take 30-60 seconds rest between each set. Shoot for 15-30 sets (4-6 exercises)... and you will see dramatically different results than crossfit. Also, lots of crossfit exercises do not isolate your muscles, they're compound movements - again, this is going to result in that bulky look that all crossfitters inevitably get.

Do a google search... look at different athletes. That's all the proof you need right there. Look at physique competitors (steve cook, greg plitt ...etc) vs. top crossfit guys (Rich Froning...etc) Crossfit athletes are in GREAT shape. There's no doubt about that. But personally, I don't think the results are visually pleasing. Then you can compare women who do crossfit vs. women who compete in bikini. In a women I think the bikini competitor look is a lot hotter. Of course, it's a personal preference, but it seems like that's what you're after.

Exactly what I was thinking...
  • CrankMeUp
    Options

What does what you posted have anything to do with getting bulky and lifting weights or YOUR body?

? and everything you post is helpful to others? lol I don't care to be "bulky", my body looks great now. Bodyweight works if you're not too big...

I agree body weight is great for a lot of exercises, but lifting weights won't make a person bulky, and that is the point.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Exactly what I was thinking...

OH EHM GEEE! I thought I'd seen everything.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was eating about the same at both studios. As a matter of fact, I was more conscious of what I ate while doing CrossFit because I followed the Paleo diet.

then ditch the paleo diet and track your kcals/macros dligently.
    I'd bet you underestimated your intake when you switched to it.
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm pear-shaped and don't use direct weight resistance on the lower part of my body except for my calves. When I use weights I do get bigger.

Just because you're pear shaped doesn't mean your body is unique. :tongue:

If you're new to weight lifting, you will gain a very small amount of muscle mass, roughly 5lbs at best, even while eating at a deficit. Past that, you will not gain more muscle mass unless you are eating a surplus.

I could go along with this comment since I am new and the conditions above describe my experience thus far. I do tend to build muscle easily (regardless of whether they are bulky or not) and I drink a no carb protein shake (if you can actually call it a shake) after strength training.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I was eating about the same at both studios. As a matter of fact, I was more conscious of what I ate while doing CrossFit because I followed the Paleo diet.

then ditch the paleo diet.

^ Bingo! Or at least ditch intuitive eating and count calories while on Paleo.

If everyone could do intuitive eating and not gain weight then MFP wouldn't have a purpose and neither would Weight Watchers and the infinite number of other weight loss programs out there.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

Glad you said it, I have noticed this before in other threads.
    Self obsessed much ?
    No-one cares how thin you are, or how many yoga poses you can do, seriously.
    Stop taking over other peoples' threads.

I didn't. :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    [re: BeachIron's post above]
    Agreed. Every week I have gone intuitive, I have put on around a pound and that's nearly all fat gain. Clearly I, like most folks, need a way to strictly log food intake against exercise hours. So thank you MFP!