Cilantro. Why?

Options

Replies

• stacetherainbow
    Options
    mix chopped cilantro with lime juice, sour cream (or mayo) and salt. delicious on fish, chicken or a spoon....

Cilantro. Why not?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I bought a very large, very pretty salad for lunch today. About half way in, I got a nice leafy chunk of cilantro in my mouth..... because I was just thinking "You know what would make this salad even more awesome? A big squirt of Dawn dishsoap!" UGHH.

My lunch, and possibly my life, is ruined. That is so foul, who likes that stuff???? I know that it's some weird genetic fluke that makes it taste like that for some people but omg......thanks a lot, death weed.

cilantro_no.jpg

How can you have Thai food without it?

Although, it's really called Coriander, just FYI.....
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I learned to say in Arabic was "kusbarra, baad" Which is my broken way of saying MORE CILANTRO! I love it in stews and in salads.. My ABSOLUTE favorite way to eat it is batata harra.. which is potatoes pan fried with garlic, cayenne and cilantro. OMG.. SO GOOOD!

Now I have the weird genetic thing when it comes to beets.. I want to love them but they always taste like DIRT.. I mean LITERALLY they taste like a big mouthfull of dirt.. and it's not because they are dirty because I scrub and wash them and then peel them and wash them again and they still taste like DIRT... then I looked it up and it seems to be genetic that to some people beets just taste like DIRT.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    A friend who had a degree in Biology explained that cilantro tastes like soap to some because of genetics. Seriously, it is like free or attached earlobes or the ability to roll your tongue. Sorry to all the folks who drew the genetic short straw. I love the stuff!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. I love cilantro.
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ugh cilantro is awful, just the thought of it makes me gag :sick:
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    IT IS DISGUSTING!!! Cilantro is vile! Glad I found someone who hates it as much as I do!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    I put cilantro on my balut (dead duck fetus).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Can I have yours?
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i read in a fitness magazine not too long ago (it wasn't on the internet, so i don't know if it was true or not - LOL) that cilantro tasted delicious to some people, to others it tastes like soap. it's entirely genetic, and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. i love me some cilantro, but to my brother it's nasty. i've tried to grow it 5 times, but my cat keeps eating it. she also ate the oregano and the tarragon.

Always trust the cat. If they eat cilantro, and oregano and tarragon, they are connoisseurs of good taste and you should listen. Good kitty.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Cilantro ruins everything.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've never thought cilantro taste like soap. I don't get it.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks it tastes like mildew smells.

Your husband just described our water.... :sick: :sick: Except it smells like it, too.

Maybe I should add some yummy cilantro? :wink:
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It should be used sparingly for the extra punch! Sounds like you got a whole bunch at once - can be overpowering and will definitely stay in your mouth for a long time!
  • super_fast
    super_fast Posts: 63
    Options
    cilantro is the life giving spice!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like cilantro. You know what I don't like? Caraway seeds. And radicchio. And Brussels sprouts.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ya, I can only take a bit of it at a time, even in salsas.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have that too. I loooove Chipotle but when they put too much cilantro in their rice it just tastes like someone thought some detergent would taste good in there. Just no. I would love to know what it tastes like for normal people, though!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So glad there are others out there. Cilantro does taste like Soap! Everyone around me thinks I am nuts!

I have gotten used to just saying no cilantro please no matter where I am at. You don't know where it is going to pop up.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It should be used sparingly for the extra punch! Sounds like you got a whole bunch at once - can be overpowering and will definitely stay in your mouth for a long time!

Don't know about this. I can taste ONE cilantro leaf in a salad, and it just destroys it for me.