What was the moment you realized you needed to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    This is an amazing thread! For me it was when I finally realised that there is another way and losing weight and getting fit and healthy is something I can do for myself.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I remember SO MANY TIMES I would be getting ready for an evening out and everything I tried on made me unhappy. I would go out feeling super unconfident and one day I just decided I'd had enough of feeling like that,
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When my cousins and brother went out to the club... my cousin was like girl lets go take a pic... I'm like let's do it... when the picture man gave us the pic my eyes got big... I could not believe how big I was... since then I lost 20lbs with 20 to 25lbs to go...
  • Parsianna
    Parsianna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One day I was trying on cloths and could not bare to buy yet another size higher. I looked in the mirror and wondered who the heck that was starring back at me. BROKE DOWN in the dressing room. Then I watched the Biggest Loser this year, and realized that if they could do it so can I. My family has a obesity gene in the family pool and I saw myself heading that direction. So I asked my doctor to please hook me up to a massage therapist, physical therapist, and a dietitian. My dietitian hooked me up to MFP and I have seen why I had gained so much weight. I dad no muscle tone and all of this has been very painful and very challenging.
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My first 5K...I wanted to die.
  • As_Sweet_As_Pea
    As_Sweet_As_Pea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This may be hard for some to read, but one day I was using the bathroom and I had trouble wiping my own a**. That was my now or never moment. :(
  • NostalgicGraeme
    NostalgicGraeme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I found it hard to get out of bed. I.e. by sitting up right rather than the fatty rolling sideways technique.
    It wasn't quite enough though I also needed to watch a friend do a marathon at an elite pace and I realised back in the day I could have competed with him and laterly all I can do is compete in a food eating competition! Getting fit again to join my friends is my biggest motivation.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This thread is a great reminder of the determination that sets in when that lightbulb moment switches on in your head.

I was starting to prepare for going to college - hard enough being a mature student and knew I would have to wear jeans and trainers for getting around campus, but realised the jeans I had were far too tight and to get a pair that fitted I would have to buy a UK size 28 (US size 26) and I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I knew I had to do something - I didn't want to be the oldest and fattest person there when I could barely climb a flight of stairs and was well over 300lbs.

Pleased to say I am a uk 16 now and heading towards 14's with a target to be about a size 12 for christmas, I relish flights of stairs and am now on my Research Masters and considering a PhD, I am running 5k's and 10k's, climbing mountains and even signed up for Tough Mudder :D - so so happy that I am never going to go back to being that person :)
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When the bottom of my stomach was irritated by my belt buckle. No mas, I said.
  • vikkij12
    vikkij12 Posts: 82
    Options
    when I started getting chest pains (indigestion but horrible) I got a real shock. I live on my own and if something happened to me I could be on my own for awhile before I got found. I need to make myself fit and healthy to minimise that happening
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    When I was at work a customer asked me when my baby was due :frown:
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and saw 199.
  • techcat10
    techcat10 Posts: 15
    Options
    I went out shopping one day and picked up my regular size of bottom wear for trial. As soon as i began to try, i realized that there was no way i could fit into my regular size and infact had moved up 2 sizes. I was terribly upset and have resolved not to go shopping until i can fit into my usual size. (Hope that happens pretty soon!!!)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I started getting stretch marks on my belly and arms. That was the breaking point for me.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    when i looked at pictures and it looked like my face was eating my eyes.

And this, so much this.
  • lauramacaroni
    lauramacaroni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When my 8-year old son asked me if I was going to die of a heart attack because I was fat.
    One year later, I'm at my goal weight and thank my son every day for the motivation & support I needed.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I bent down to tie my shoe laces, and was struggling to do it over my belly.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    When I wouldn't sit down without crossing my arms over my belly, or holding a cushion.
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    when i looked through my holiday pictures last year and deleted them. i want to rememvber my holidays and not be stupid about it. It was man up and change time (this also made me review my confidence, I looked at me and not the wonderful time I was having, very sad really)
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agreed to do a charity skydive. They weigh you before you do a tandem jump so they can pair you with the right instructor.

Bear in mind I hadn't weight myself in about 5 years, was a skinny girl my whole life and though I knew I'd gained a little, I didn't know how much was "normal" and how much was too much for my height and build.

Anyways the first group of people to jump set off and the biggest guy, a 6'2" senior manager is taking the jump with a very tall, broad bodied firefighter as he can take the most weight on him.
    You know where this is going.

When it came to the second group, guess who got the big beefy firefighter to jump in tandem with? Lil old me, not even five and a half feet tall. It turns out I weighed 2 stone more than I thought... that's nearly 30 pounds. I knew I'd gained just had deliberately chosen to turn a blind eye to how much. My clothes didn't fit, I'd tell myself they were running small sizes or they'd shrunk in the wash etc. This was a wake up call.

And here I am!