NSV - Ladies, why do you get mad when this happens to you?

Options
123457»

Replies

• AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've actually never been bothered by this at all, and I've ALWAYS had huge (real) breasts. Men are attracted physically before anything else and I've always used that as motivation to look good so at least they have something fit and sexy to look at. If anything I feel a little bit intimidated by a man staring at my body because I'm shy and feel totally awkward about it, up until recently I've never really pictured myself as someone that would get any kind of attention anyway. That said, it seems like most women are really sensitive about having a man's attention focus on her body because of their OWN insecurities. I've known a lot of women to say they hated knowing a man was oogling over them, but kept talking about it with a smile on their face because they loved the attention they were getting. *shrugs*

Getting "checked out" doesn't annoy me. It's when some crazy cockeyed kook will try to follow me down the street or say some crazy s#!t to me that I get annoyed. I, too, have sizable tatas. But there's a difference between looking at them and then just acting afool. I ignore a lot of the attention I get, as long as I don't feel threatened or get the heeby jeebies.

Hubby's friends say I have a nice rack: whatever
    Hubby's coworker says he fantasizes about motorboating me: WTF?

Bingo. People stare; I'm used to it. I'm not used to having a customer who is three times my age come only during my shift so he can stare directly at my chest and say, "nice blouse!" I'm not used to having people honk at me or stalk me when I'm out for a walk. I will never be used to people thinking it's okay to take a passing squeeze -- and the fact is, I shouldn't be expected to get used to it. The fact that I had accepted these things as normal before I was legally an adult should tell you exactly what you need to know about SOME men. The ones who have respect for women don't do these things - or at least ASK before they touch. Unfortunately, there are many others who either think such behavior is acceptable, or simply don't care about the women they affect with this behavior. It's not "nice"; it's hurtful.
  • choface
    choface Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Big boobs aren't an accomplishment (unless you saved enough money to get a job).

You don't ask for them (genetics), and you don't want a man to stare at them.

Especially when you don't wear low cut shirts. and you wear scarves, and it still happens.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I didn't actually work for my breasts though. They're just bags of fat that I happen to be genetically prone to have.

Now if someone admired my fitness level that would be another matter.

I'm lucky that I haven't heard any inappropriate comments while out jogging. I do get honked at every once in a while but probably by people who recognize me.

I think some people think I'm a minor due to the height, so that helps keep inappropriate comments to a minimum. Or maybe the guys in my area are just nice people.

Actually they're not bags of fat. They're tissue, ducts, lobules ...etc. Some women have fat in theirs. I never did.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    And I always figure if a girl didn't want people to look, I guess she would wear a turtleneck.

Oh yeah, I always wear turtlenecks to protect myself from unwanted stares. I wore a turtleneck to my cousin's wedding. I wore a turtleneck while in the 4th of July parade last summer (it was only 104 degrees and super-humid). I just wear turtlenecks for every occasion - and it's so helpful, too, because turtlenecks are the only kind of top that can suddenly make my double-D breasts invisible to men. :noway: :explode:

I used sarcasm, because if I had answered such a (expletive) (insult) comment without some buffer, it would be REALLY disrespectful. There is no hiding my boobs; whether I'm wearing a turtleneck or a 2XL shirt (I'm a medium), my boobs stick out. I didn't choose to be DD, and I shouldn't have to wear turtlenecks to be treated like a human being/with respect. That doesn't mean that I deserve unwanted advances or squeezes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And I always figure if a girl didn't want people to look, I guess she would wear a turtleneck.

Oh yeah, I always wear turtlenecks to protect myself from unwanted stares. I wore a turtleneck to my cousin's wedding. I wore a turtleneck while in the 4th of July parade last summer (it was only 104 degrees and super-humid). I just wear turtlenecks for every occasion - and it's so helpful, too, because turtlenecks are the only kind of top that can suddenly make my double-D breasts invisible to men. :noway: :explode:

I used sarcasm, because if I had answered such a (expletive) (insult) comment without some buffer, it would be REALLY disrespectful. There is no hiding my boobs; whether I'm wearing a turtleneck or a 2XL shirt (I'm a medium), my boobs stick out. I didn't choose to be DD, and I shouldn't have to wear turtlenecks to be treated like a human being/with respect. That doesn't mean that I deserve unwanted advances or squeezes.
    When I was younger, I was very self-conscious about my body and I wore oversized tops all the time and was VERY modest. Men and boys still leered and got grabby. You cannot hide DDs, especially when you're otherwise very tiny.
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Also, hello Taliban! So in order to be treated respectfully, women have to keep all their fun bits covered up at all times in case you poor men just can't HELP yourselves from staring/grabbing? Hmm, this is a strangely familiar ideology...
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's annoying because it means the person you are talking to values your breasts more than what you have to say. Complimenting someone's hard work to achieve some nice muscles is quite different than drooling over someone's breasts.
    How is this hard to understand?
  • graves2102
    graves2102 Posts: 38
    Options
    Because my breasts are not an "accomplishment", they are my body. A man staring at my breasts is doing nothing but making me a sexual object. I can't quite believe we are still battling this question- it makes me feel quite ill to know that there are still men who think that drooling over a woman's body is not demeaning/demoralising. I am not a sexual object, and men are not animals who can't control themselves.
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Here's the difference. The experience you described was a one-time, or at least rare event, from somebody that you at least know a little, and trust. If you had, for any reason, needed to let her know she needed to stow it because the attention was unwelcome, you had every reason to believe that she'd not only comply, but probably retreat in embarrassment. If what women routinely experienced was similar to that, I don't think most of us would have a problem with it. As you say, what a fantastic self-esteem booster! Something to give me a happy inner glow the rest of the day!

But for women, it happens ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME. And not just from people we know and trust, but strangers or passing acquaintances. And it starts when we're about 14 years old. (Think about this, if you have daughters, and ask your wife about her experiences.) I'm no beauty queen, I assure you. But I have many memories of being a young teenager and strangers -- adults, mind you -- following me around, pestering me, trying to engage me in conversation, telling me I was "pretty." The head of Sales at my summer job telling me how beautiful my breasts were (wtf!).

And that was when I was still essentially a child. As I got older, then men who weren't just pedophiles started with it too. Here I am now, over 40 years old, not terribly well-preserved either, and when a man compliments my rack or my *kitten* it's STILL NOT CHARMING. I will never be so withered or decrepit or fat that I will be grateful for the attention when it's inappropriately intimate.

Because here's the real problem: there's a way these creeps do it, demanding that I acknowledge them, claiming as their right my attention, goodwill and trust -- and maybe even my gratitude. The clear implication is that I somehow don't actually have a right to withdraw from, ignore, or reject the intimate attention. Because you see, I don't get to choose: they do. And in fact if I do ignore them, or persist in trying to brush off the compliment, then they're not puzzled or embarrassed: they're ANGRY. That's pretty threatening.

Intimacy is earned. Occasional intimate comments from someone I'm close to, or have a warm personal relationship with? NICE. Intimate comments from strangers, my friends' husbands or my husband's friends (or -- teenage edition -- my dad's friends! or my friends' dads!), or people I'm supposed to have a professional relationship with? AGGRESSIVE. HUMILIATING. THREATENING. CREEPY. WRONG.

It's not that all men do this; most of you fellas were raised right! But enough men do it that most women encounter it frequently and learn to look on unsolicited and intimately-framed comments on our appearance with a huge amount of distrust. One bad apple spoils the barrel, they say. So a small but significant minority of aggressively creepy men with who are so socially underdeveloped that they can't understand or respect social boundaries are, frankly, ruining it for the rest of you.

Several posts had some good insights. Yours really helped bring many of them together in a way I could process and shows me some differences in the behaviours different people see as included in this issue based on what's happened to them. Things I viewed as way worse and a totally different issue.

Up to your story, It seemed like a social ettiquete issue to me. A faux problem promoted by a segment of the beautiful people/women. Some common joe looks at her and when the more attractive woman catches him, now hes a no-good perv for noticing her for a few seconds. Situations very easy (in my mind) to distinguish from someone with humiliating/predatory or otherwise evil intent for her. So my take was, whether you find the person attractive or not, they couldn't help but find you attractive for a few seconds and it showed. They did harm you, don't embarrass them anymore. I'm assuming they are embarrassed because they realize you know they found you attractive. Can't you just be happy, if not happy then at least neutral?

You didn't try to change or invalidate my experience. You didn't get too caught up in specific words. You respectfully took the essense of my story as your starting point but then showed how it can only be a small part of the issue for many people and how incidents of longer than socially acceptable looks really cannot be so easily separated for many people/women based on what many of them have experienced.

I have been bullied plenty, and I can relate to some of what happened(s) to you, but I'm sure its not the same without the sexual issues it layed on you. I just don't get why some people need to intentionally humiliate other people for no real gain. Why would someone go up to a complete stranger and say "Nice Rack!"? If you said some guy did that 10 years ago that would be bad enough for an adult, but "All the Freakin' time???" I guess I am niave.

It makes me wonder what you do in that situation? Do you report it to the police?

I am going to ask my girls how the boys and men treat them in this area and how they deal with it, they are both well-endowed. I am pretty sure the eldest will be frank.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!