Your most humiliating "fat" experience.

Options

Replies

• pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    All I can think is, you married this man why?

Yeah...why? This man sounds destructive.
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    I like so many of you have also been mistaken for being pregnant. It was humiliating and once I even lied and told them that I'd just had my son a week ago even though he was 2 years old. I couldn't bring myself to admit that I wasn't.

I stopped wearing form fitting clothes after that.

Save them for when I'm skinny again :)
  • coffeeMAME
    coffeeMAME Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went to six flags with my friends, and we got right in line for super man.

I got on superman with them, and the buckle could not fit around me... instead of letting me get off, they all insisted that I could do it if it just "sucked it in" and they were all leaning back and over me trying to "help".... the people working on the ride had to come over and ask me to get off. In front of a line of hundreds of people.

I had to get off, they all went on it without me, and the rest of the day was ruined.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I remember riding in those small, cute cars with my friends, and they all started saying, " Let her sit in the biggest seat, you know she won't be able to fit, " I was like OMG no!!

Now I fit PERFECTLY in there. Uh, huh.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So...I am sure your hubby is a decent guy (besides for you questioning why you married him) but he did seem to have a really bad moment. That being said, I hope this is not a regular occurrence. I have been there with myself and others, but it is always from a place of concern - both physically and for their confidence. Anyhow...

I have definitely been at that place with the roller coaster at Busch Gardens. I still have not been back to this day. Maybe when I hit my goal weight I will head back and try it again.

My main story comes on an airplane. When I went up for Thanksgiving (approx. 365-370 lbs) I went to put the seat belt on and it was a major, MAJOR struggle. It was one of those lift up the first guy and suck in the deeper gut kind of thrusts. After the thought of having to buy two seats to travel, I knew it was time for a change. A couple of months ago - and about 50 lbs lighter, I had to fly for business, hopped on that plane and fastened that belt with a few inches of strap to spare. I secretly played with that extra 2-3 inches of belt all the way too my destination!
  • LethelW8
    LethelW8 Posts: 24
    Options
    Had my college EX-boyfriend tell me that even if I lost weight, I still wouldn't have the type of body that men would find attractive.
    Interestingly enough, I got rid of him and proved him wrong on many, many accounts. He, on the other hand, finally came out; turns out he was actually just projecting his own self-image on me (and was tragically right).
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    When I was teaching in Korea, I found out my co-workers had nicknamed me "the fat one". My boss there also told me he worried about my health, and that I couldn't do my job properly because of my weight, despite the fact that everyone else (even those who were calling me names behind my back) told me I was one of the best teachers there. While there I also went to the doctor because my hip was bothering me. He told me I needed to lose weight. I told him that this hip has bothered me for years, even when I was much smaller. He insisted it was due to my weight. The co-worker that went with me to translate decided it would be funny to tell everyone at the school that I was told that I needed to lose weight, and that it was hilarious.

Needless to say, I broke my year contract after only four months...

My boyfriend's mom is Korean,and when I met her, she told me I needed to lose weight. Also, I had just started a new birth control regimen which caused my skin to break out in a few places. She gave us an entire case of herbal soap from Korea so my skin "would be pretty". She also told my boyfriend that he needs to "Marry a nice Korean girl" Every time she calls us, she asks if we have lost, then how we are doing. I couldn't imagine dealing with that at work on a constant basis. That is so horrible. I wanted to take a trip to visit Korea,but I think I have changed my mind.

My sister-in-law is teaching in Korea, and she is average weight. Yet they also call her fat. And we have an amazing Korean sushi restaurant in my town. The owner is Korean, and tells her customers they're fat. What a strange cultural difference, huh?

In a sad sort of way, knowing I'm not alone in this sort of experience with Koreans makes me feel better...
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    Wow! 145lbs and 5'3". I wish...I am just under 5ft and I weigh this much. I'm betting that you look just fine!
  • MucGay
    MucGay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A patient was discussing with my boss how its very hard to find clothes to fit in Asia. Then, the old lady patient, thinking I was out of earshot, comment that I would be hopeless trying to shop in Asia.....but my boss defended me, telling the patient that she can't say stuff like that, and that I am a wonderful worker. Awww....my boss is the best!

Then, when I was on vacation in Aruba, we'd all decided to go parasailing. When it was my turn, the dude that get everyone set up looked at me up and down, hesitated, and dug out an ugly harness (while others get the normal sized cute rainbow ones) while mine was black, thick and ugly....yet probably the safest! I had fun anyway even tho' I didn't float as high.......

Carpooling: let her sit in the front.....(since she is the biggest); yay...no need to squeeze tight with 5 others in the back!

Still want to get fit because no matter how unattractive I was on the outside, I still love myself enough to start taking care of myself.
    Keep going, we will get there!
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    I bought a car off CL some months ago. When I tried to buckle myself into the driver's seat, the belt wouldn't reach. The dude I bought the car from, bless him, wasn't rude, but suggested I click the belt first & slip the strap over. I was embarrassed as hell, & still am every time I get in & have to use a seat belt extender, but it just pushes me to work all the more harder.

There's a few other instances, but none that come to mind right now aside from this.
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    once while at work ( taking care of an elderly lady that was very outspoken about no liking FAT people in her home) I pretended to be pregnant to avoid the questions. I felt really bad about myself that whole week. Then I woke up one morning and decided that I was never going back to her house. I called the agency that I worked for and told them that it was a conflict of interest and to please never send me back there.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    We all surely have some experience related to out weight that lingers in our minds. I wouldn't say I was even fat when this happened. I am 5'3", at the time I weighed 145 pounds. I was in the process of losing weight I gained from quitting smoking. Anyhoo, we were talking about going to the beach. My now husband, then boyfriend, made the remark that I should get a bigger swim suit. I was wondering what was wrong with the one I had. I asked him what he meant and why he said that. He would never really clarify. Finally he just yelled at me that I look disgusting in my swim suit. Needless to say, I haven't put on a swim suit since. I actually bought one last year, but I could never bring myself to wear the thing.

When you look back on these things do they motivate you? Do you feel a sense of hopelessness that drives you to failure over and over?

This brings tears to my eyes, I have been there.

The day I decided to take control over my weight and life, my husband and I ended up in a horrible fight. I told him about me wanting to start this but I wanted to see a weight loss doctor which I did and helped me a lot through the first few months but I quit and did it all on my own since. But he got mad and told me if I just got off my lazy *kitten* I could do it without a doctor. Sometimes the truth hurts, he could have been more gentle about it but he wasn't and we got in a huge fight over it and in the middle of the fight he told me to pack my bags and get the f out of the house, I told him I wasn't going anywhere and if he wanted me out I'd like to see him pick me fat lazy *kitten* up and move me. We calmed down and all and well 2 years later here I am at my goal.

Even at my biggest (250 lbs at 5'1.5) I still wore a bathing suit. U do what you want, I had to take this and do it for me not him. If he didn't love me for my looks then he wasn't for me. But he did love me because he stayed.
  • t7mitch
    t7mitch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All I can think is, you married this man why?
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was at home putting on a pair of jeans only to realize they didn't fit, I put on 3 more and THEY didn't fit. THAT was when I decided I was going to change. And now I need new jeans to fit my pretty little bum. :)
  • jennsmithers
    Options
    I'm really sorry that your then boyfriend (now husband) said that awful thing to you. My boyfriend said some awful things to me a few months ago during a break from our relationship. He told me he hated my body and didn't find it attractive and that he was upset that I had done nothing but gain weight during our relationship. I was overweight when we met, and had planned on losing weight at the time, but had never followed through. His words really, really hurt me but he has since aplogized. But it definitely still lingers with me. Unfortunately, this is not my most humiliating "fat" experience. I have had a few in the past 2 years since I have gained substantial weight.

My first real humiliating experience was not being able to buckle my seat belt on a flight. I was so mortified and was too embarrassed to ask for a seat belt extender and flew without being buckled in. I was so terrified and prayed that the flight would be smooth and we would not crash! Unfortunately it wasn't enough to motivate me to make any significant changes. I recently went to Mexico and while booking a flight back to Mexico City from Puerto Escondido. I had been sitting in a wicker love seat and had to get up and sign some papers. When I returned to sit down the seat snapped in the center. I was so humiliated. The women were really kind and even apologized, but I could tell that they were embarrassed for me. It wasn't until recently that I decided to change my lifestyle based on my doctor telling me I have high blood pressure and just feeling plain old sick and fat all the time.

I started back with aqua aerobics about 2 months ago and have recently started making more meals at home. I still eat what I want, just less of it and have cut out soda and started drinking more water. I choose not to weigh myself and go by my clothes and how I feel physically. It's frustrating sometimes as I want the weight to just come off all at once. I just try and remind myself that it didn't go on over night and that it is a lifestyle change and not a diet and it will happen gradually.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey, wherever it takes you and I hope you find the confidence within yourself to throw on that swimsuit and be the beautiful woman that you are inside and out! Don't let your husband keep you down!
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine asked me if I was pregnant....yeah that was a wake up call.

Also based off of some other posts in this thread, I am grateful that my boyfriend has been nothing but kind throughout my journey. He will tell me things, like if I'm squeezing into a too tight pair of pants and it's obvious but he does it gently where I don't get upset about it.
  • jennsmithers
    Options
    Sorry for the long response.
  • h0peforthin
    Options
    I've had so many humiliating fat experiences but the very first one was in 6th grade. I didn't really get along with some of the popular girls at my school and I remember one of them was talking to her older cousin about me and her cousin said "the fat, black one?"
    I brushed it off as much as possible but I remember going grocery shopping with my mom after the incident and she asked me if I wanted brownies to go in my lunch and I just broke down and cried in the middle of the store.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A teacher at my kid's elementary school asked me when I was "due." Usually, I just make something up to save the other person embarassment but for some reason I told him "no, I'm just fat." The poor guy was mortified. Sadly I weigh a lot more now than when I was pregnant either time!
  • topskaren
    topskaren Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    5' 8" and 170 is not fat at all. That is my goal weight and I am 5' 6" and will be very happy to be that weight I did weigh 275.75 lbs. and now I weigh 172 lbs. I want to stay no more than 3 lbs above or 7 lbs. below that weight. Some people are just rude so don't let then tell you whats right for you ,you deside what you want <3