Why am I not losing?

Options

Replies

• nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options
    The food you chose to eat has very little nutritional value. You're counting calories but still being harmful to yourself in other ways. Also, even though you consume the allotted calorie amount you really don't eat much for the entire day so you may be inadvertently slowing your metabolism down.

I would try changing your eating habits. Try adding one good thing in each day...like adding a salad to one of your meals. If you're staying on top of it and slowly keep adding the good things into your diet eventually you won't want to eat at McDonald's anymore.

Good Luck!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    My only suggestions are to track as accurately as possible every day and be sure to use a kitchen scale whenever possible. Watching the sodium wouldn't hurt either, but I have no comment on your food choices.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale and a heart rate monitor consistently, if you aren't already.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I truly doubt you will lose anything eating so much fast food!!! Do you ever eat fresh foods? I looked back just a handful of days so maybe this isn't your norm but I would most definitely gain weight eating pizza, burgers, fries,sundaes every day. Those should be rare treats, or even just once a week but not multiple times per day. Weight loss is in the kitchen not the gym
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Totally peeked through your diary through the last 3 days. You eat fast food once, sometimes twice a day. Junk food is consistently nonstop as well.

...What do you expect with that sort of food? Like, I'm not saying give up fast food. It's all about moderation, though.

Incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Prepare more food at home. When eating out, choose the healthier options. So on and so forth.

I lost my 30lbs eating fast food 3x per day while travelling.

All burgers, fries, dressings, condiments, potato cakes and pizza, too?

I looked further back. Nearly EVERY DAY is a trend of the same foods above.

I eat out a fair amount. I most definitely wouldn't be upset about no weight loss if I lived on cheeseburgers though. Just sayin'.

All that? No, but fries and grilled chicken sandwiches daily, and pizza twice per week.

Thus my point.

Nothing is inherently wrong with fast food. The choices you make/portion sizes are a different story.

I agree with this.

What really matters in dieting is to treat it as a lifestyle change. Cutting out fast food and eating more nutrient dense food is great and all, but the most important thing is to choose something that is sustainable so you stay on track. So if you want/need to eat 2,000 calories in fast food each day, then go for it. At your weight it is more important to be worried about shedding the pounds. However, I would recommend adding in as much nutrient dense foods as you can over time.
  • ashleymm625
    Options
    look at your diary and see all the fast food, thats why.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Totally peeked through your diary through the last 3 days. You eat fast food once, sometimes twice a day. Junk food is consistently nonstop as well.

...What do you expect with that sort of food? Like, I'm not saying give up fast food. It's all about moderation, though.

Incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Prepare more food at home. When eating out, choose the healthier options. So on and so forth.

I lost my 30lbs eating fast food 3x per day while travelling.

All burgers, fries, dressings, condiments, potato cakes and pizza, too?

I looked further back. Nearly EVERY DAY is a trend of the same foods above.

I eat out a fair amount. I most definitely wouldn't be upset about no weight loss if I lived on cheeseburgers though. Just sayin'.

All that? No, but fries and grilled chicken sandwiches daily, and pizza twice per week.

Thus my point.

Nothing is inherently wrong with fast food. The choices you make/portion sizes are a different story.

I agree with this.

What really matters in dieting is to treat it as a lifestyle change. Cutting out fast food and eating more nutrient dense food is great and all, but the most important thing is to choose something that is sustainable so you stay on track. So if you want/need to eat 2,000 calories in fast food each day, then go for it. At your weight it is more important to be worried about shedding the pounds. However, I would recommend adding in as much nutrient dense foods as you can over time.

You said it!

I approve this message. :flowerforyou:
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Most people hear are making it sound like I eat 4k calories of fast food. I do eat fast food a lot because my parents are just those type of people lol But I had been told by a dietician that a calorie is a calorie, you eat too much you gain, you eat to little you lose. I know they aren't the healthiest choices but its what there and I just try to control how much of it I eat. Not trying to sound rude or anything but ya ^^ If I eat 1500 calories a day with home food/fast food mixed in, I wouldn't lose? I did this December-March and lost 22 pounds perfectly fine. Its just now it has seemed to slow down. OH, and one more very important thing, sometimes I just log calories as fast food because its already there and I am too lazy to search for the actual one. I usually go by calories/sodium more than anything else. On weekends I admit I eat fast food quite often, but some days on there I swear lol I just log them because they are close to accurate. I actually baked a pizza hear at home today but in diary it says "Little Caesars" lol

College student/parents shop at the beginning of month and once the food runs out they go out for fast food, which is a lot of the time!

I told the dietician that I seemed to lose faster while eating only home foods than fast food even if it was the same caloric intake and he told me that a calorie was a calorie and it didn't matter what type of food it was, and that shouldn't be possible. >_<

Any and all help/feedback is appreciated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Go back to exercising the way you did when you lost weight. Obviously that's the biggest difference I see when you stated you changed it to 30DS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Go back to exercising the way you did when you lost weight. Obviously that's the biggest difference I see when you stated you changed it to 30DS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I did that from March-June and very little changes, so that's why I am trying 30 day shred now to maybe lose some inches. ^_^
    From December-March I lost 22 pounds but then March-June nada D:
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Most people hear are making it sound like I eat 4k calories of fast food. I do eat fast food a lot because my parents are just those type of people lol But I had been told by a dietician that a calorie is a calorie, you eat too much you gain, you eat to little you lose. I know they aren't the healthiest choices but its what there and I just try to control how much of it I eat. Not trying to sound rude or anything but ya ^^ If I eat 1500 calories a day with home food/fast food mixed in, I wouldn't lose? I did this December-March and lost 22 pounds perfectly fine. Its just now it has seemed to slow down. OH, and one more very important thing, sometimes I just log calories as fast food because its already there and I am too lazy to search for the actual one. I usually go by calories/sodium more than anything else. On weekends I admit I eat fast food quite often, but some days on there I swear lol I just log them because they are close to accurate. I actually baked a pizza hear at home today but in diary it says "Little Caesars" lol

College student/parents shop at the beginning of month and once the food runs out they go out for fast food, which is a lot of the time!

I told the dietician that I seemed to lose faster while eating only home foods than fast food even if it was the same caloric intake and he told me that a calorie was a calorie and it didn't matter what type of food it was, and that shouldn't be possible. >_<

while a calorie is a calorie, the vitamin and minerals that you get from say an apple, home made chicken stir or banana berry smoothie will help make you feel better, the better you feel the more you want to do. When i eat more than one fast food in a week I feel horrible! the oil uosets my gut and i feel sluggish and fatigued.
    I think this is the main difference. Don't look at food as calories - look at it as fuel. If you put watered down ethanol (fast foods/poor food choice) in the tank, you run rough and may break down. Add premium fuel (fresh, whole grains, better choices) and you run smooth and minimal services are required.
  • hiyomi
    Options

while a calorie is a calorie, the vitamin and minerals that you get from say an apple, home made chicken stir or banana berry smoothie will help make you feel better, the better you feel the more you want to do. When i eat more than one fast food in a week I feel horrible! the oil uosets my gut and i feel sluggish and fatigued.
    I think this is the main difference. Don't look at food as calories - look at it as fuel. If you put watered down ethanol (fast foods/poor food choice) in the tank, you run rough and may break down. Add premium fuel (fresh, whole grains, better choices) and you run smooth and minimal services are required.

Thanks for the info ^^ But is this preventing me from losing weight in any way?
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    so you answered your question. You gave your body a mixture of nutrients and crap, and you lost. Now you are just giving it crap, and you aren't losing. I say the work crap, because that's what fast food and junk food is. Little to no nutritional value.

What are your bones reliant on? Calcium. What do you need to absorb calcium? Vitamin D. What helps your skin regenerate? Vitamin E. What do you lose every month in your cycle? Iron. What kills energy levels? Lack of potassium for one.

If you want so fast jump to losing weight, then starve yourself and live off a few fried chips or burgers and use excuses that that is just what university students do. I live away from home, I cook most of my meals from breakfast to dinner. I pack lunches and snacks, I order the healthier options, I allow for chocolate cake and am sure to stay in my allowance.

I am sounding rude and blunt, but there is no way to fluff this up - you're an adult.

Respect your body and you health a bit more
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info ^^ But is this preventing me from losing weight in any way?

If you aren't getting the right balance of fat/carbs/protein, for sure. When your body is lacking some nutrients as well it can react badly but everyone is different. If you want to be fit and healthy, these are very important things! The chance of horrible diseases such as cancer are greatly reduced when you have a healthy diet and active lifestyle. It is how our bodies are designed.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    so you answered your question. You gave your body a mixture of nutrients and crap, and you lost. Now you are just giving it crap, and you aren't losing. I say the work crap, because that's what fast food and junk food is. Little to no nutritional value.

What are your bones reliant on? Calcium. What do you need to absorb calcium? Vitamin D. What helps your skin regenerate? Vitamin E. What do you lose every month in your cycle? Iron. What kills energy levels? Lack of potassium for one.

If you want so fast jump to losing weight, then starve yourself and live off a few fried chips or burgers and use excuses that that is just what university students do. I live away from home, I cook most of my meals from breakfast to dinner. I pack lunches and snacks, I order the healthier options, I allow for chocolate cake and am sure to stay in my allowance.

I am sounding rude and blunt, but there is no way to fluff this up - you're an adult.

I have the exacccct same diet basically as when I lost the 22 pounds. Junk food and home food, I intensified my exercise too. Also its not easy to cook when there is no food at home~~~~ And I am also in my daily allowance o.O I ate homemade breakfast/lunch/dinner today along with some chips and a frozen pizza, for about 1650 calories.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Several possibilities here...
    1. Has your general activity level changed since you were losing?
    2. Has your portion size changed since then... food options?
    3. If you have experienced a moderate weight loss, as you near your goal, you will have to lower your caloric intake. Remember that it does take more energy to keep 1280 pounds going than it does to take 250 pounds going; therefore, your metabolism tends to slow as you lose weight
    4. Since you are lifting weights, make sure you are going by inches as well as weight -- I have found that I have lost inches at times when the scale was not moving that much.
    5. I see that you are female -- sometimes, that comes into play due to factors such as TOM, Time of life, hormonal changes and such --

Best wishes on your every success.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If your body is not running right - constipation, bloated, fluid retention from excess sodium they can all affect the weight loss.

I have to say you are coming across as not wanting to change your food choices.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Several possibilities here...
    1. Has your general activity level changed since you were losing?
    2. Has your portion size changed since then... food options?
    3. If you have experienced a moderate weight loss, as you near your goal, you will have to lower your caloric intake. Remember that it does take more energy to keep 1280 pounds going than it does to take 250 pounds going; therefore, your metabolism tends to slow as you lose weight
    4. Since you are lifting weights, make sure you are going by inches as well as weight -- I have found that I have lost inches at times when the scale was not moving that much.
    5. I see that you are female -- sometimes, that comes into play due to factors such as TOM, Time of life, hormonal changes and such --

Best wishes on your every success.

Changes hmmm The only thing really is going back and forth on my birth control (due to expenses and insurance not covering) But I never really had a problem with it in the last 5 years I've been on it. I have lowered my calories as MFP does for me. First it was 1860, then 1740, now 1700, should I decrease this more?
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I have the exacccct same diet basically as when I lost the 22 pounds. Junk food and home food, I intensified my exercise too. Also its not easy to cook when there is no food at home~~~~ And I am also in my daily allowance o.O I ate homemade breakfast/lunch/dinner today along with some chips and a frozen pizza, for about 1650 calories.

No, you're not. If you were, you'd be losing. YOU'RE NOT LOSING BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MAINTAINING A DEFICIT.

Log better. Log what you ACTUALLY eat. the right foods, the right portions.

THEN come back and tell us you're not losing weight.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    If your body is not running right - constipation, bloated, fluid retention from excess sodium they can all affect the weight loss.

I have to say you are coming across as not wanting to change your food choices.

I made a 3 month old frozen pizza today because I scavenged through my entire fridge and freezer. ^_^ I live on my parents income which isn't always the best. For dinner there was 1 ground beef package left lol I really mean it when I say my parents shop at the beginning of the month and once we run out, we eat fast food until they buy more. And it is tough getting them to buy food. They LOVE going out for food. I made a homemade lunch/breakfast and dinner today, and do most days Monday-Friday. This all goes well until the last week and a half or so at the end of the month when food starts to run out. If you believe I do not want to change my food choices then go ahead, because I know what I am saying is true. ^^