Almomd Milk vs. Regular Milk vs. Soy Milk

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ^I'd ignore both of these.

Most of the soy problems are linked to to much soy in ones diet. Don't get me started on how many different foods soy is added to and how many people eat those things plus soy milk and tofu and soy beans all day long. Make no wonder this is becoming a problem.

As for the milk myths, there are long explanations for each one, reasons to ignore the avoid milk people. But yes, taking a calcium supplement often doesn't help bone density. Likely because those people are lacking in other nutrients or to high in others. You need several things in your body to absorb different things (magnesium and potassium seem the most common ones people lack that I have encountered which would help calcium absorption). Milk is one of the highest ranked for bioavailabilty that I've seen so that's your best bet to go for if you don't know what you're doing. The fortified drinks like soy and almond milk can have more calcium but you absorb less (which has shown in studies). If you're taking lots of calcium and you're not absorbing it, you're missing something else. If you're drinking lots of milk and your bone density is falling appart my first guess would be not enough food or excessive amounts of protein compared to everything else (imo people on this site don't eat enough). One of the likely reasons Africans have less osteoporosis for example could be that they have many fasting periods where they cut out meat over a period of time, that would increase their calcium absorption.

In summary, You need protein, you need calcium. Eat lots of calcium and protein, don't avoid either. Cows your best bet if you like it.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    I avoid cows milk where possible and replace with almond or soy...depending on what I feel like/what's in the shop! Prefer almond milk.

Our bodies are not designed to digest cows milk (duh! we're not calves!) and so hence many of us have various stages of lactose intolerance. Any non-smokers here get phlegm-y and/or have a regular, non-severe, unexplained cough? ....dairy!

One can argue about health benefits til the cows come home (oho, get it?)..... there's health benefits to nigh on everything if you look hard enough.

My body functions a lot better with less dairy... I'm not ready to cut out cheese yet so I opted to reduce my cows milk intake instead.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant (LI) so cow's milk is a rarity, even with the LI pills. I used to buy LI milk, but used it so rarely I wasted money by letting it spoil. Couldn't tolerate the texture of soy, or the look of almond. Finally switched to coconut and haven't looked back.
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Most of the soy problems are linked to to much soy in ones diet. Don't get me started on how many different foods soy is added to and how many people eat those things plus soy milk and tofu and soy beans all day long. Make no wonder this is becoming a problem.

As for the milk myths, there are long explanations for each one, reasons to ignore the avoid milk people. But yes, taking a calcium supplement often doesn't help bone density. Likely because those people are lacking in other nutrients or to high in others. You need several things in your body to absorb different things (magnesium and potassium seem the most common ones people lack that I have encountered which would help calcium absorption). Milk is one of the highest ranked for bioavailabilty that I've seen so that's your best bet to go for if you don't know what you're doing. The fortified drinks like soy and almond milk can have more calcium but you absorb less (which has shown in studies). If you're taking lots of calcium and you're not absorbing it, you're missing something else. If you're drinking lots of milk and your bone density is falling appart my first guess would be not enough food or excessive amounts of protein compared to everything else (imo people on this site don't eat enough). One of the likely reasons Africans have less osteoporosis for example could be that they have many fasting periods where they cut out meat over a period of time, that would increase their calcium absorption.

In summary, You need protein, you need calcium. Eat lots of calcium and protein, don't avoid either. Cows your best bet if you like it.

COWS milk is for COWS.

now, Im assuming your not a cow. Would that cow drink human milk just because? probably not

Humans are the only species that drink from another species.
    and the only species to drink milk long after their infant stage.

Please. Intrigue me with where you find your research.
  • TattooedMuffin
    Options

'

And instead of "Ignoring" anything.

I think Everyone and anyone is in-titled to their own opinion and are allowed to do their own research. If you read my comment, I was stating my opinion and providing my resources to as why my opinion was just.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Used to use soy milk but stopped because it was nasty.

Almond milk just sounds nasty.

I prefer cow's milk. Used to do skim until I read about how it's not that good for you. Went up to 1% and now at 2%. I only use it in my coffee and smoothies. Maybe once or twice a week I will drink a glass.
    My calcium total for today will be 107, which is 7 over the recommended amount

Hate to say it but the RDA for anything is usually really, really low.

An interesting article about how much calcium we actually need-

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/health-advice/2010/03/16/how-much-calcium-do-americans-need
  • FitGirlNani
    FitGirlNani Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently switched over to soy and almond milk versus regular. I don't have a problem with regular and will still drink it, but I personally just like the taste of soy and almond. Sometimes I drink a cup before bed if I feel like snacking, it shuts my stomach up. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    And instead of "Ignoring" anything.

I think Everyone and anyone is in-titled to their own opinion and are allowed to do their own research. If you read my comment, I was stating my opinion and providing my resources to as why my opinion was just.
    I tend to google scholar when I'm bored. I just replied for anyone who isn't up on things and needs that little umph to question things and look on their own. I don't tend to keep a list of links I've read. If you doubt it then that's fair enough. Do your own research....I suggest scholarly articles and not huffington post and the like you listed.

If you find something in particular that you think is opinion and not fact, look it up yourself. If you find something that shows that it is wrong, feel free to make a defensive case, I'm all ears. I'm more ears this weekend since I'm busy right now but if I remember to come back I'll take a gander.
    COWS milk is for COWS.

now, Im assuming your not a cow. Would that cow drink human milk just because? probably not

Please. Intrigue me with where you find your research.

I might be part cow. I am not lactose intolerant and would love it if more cows came home.

What are you? A nut? Or a legume?

Where did you get that bolded piece of 'research' from?

orly20baby.gif

cat-drinking-milk-directly-from-cow.gif
    050905_dogtigers.jpg
    Birddrinkingmilk_zps271330a5.jpg
    115629-tiger-and-piglets.jpg
    Dog-lion-cubs_1445308i.jpg
    cow-goat_1409889i.jpg

I also don't think almonds or soy are your species either. And I don't think those species try to drink Almond or Soy milk, either. I also don't think they ride bicycles or drive cars, so we better stop that too. Wings, they're for birds, we should stop flying also. My point is that's not a very good argument. It's certainly not factual. Ignoring the fact I've seen adult animals drink fresh cows milk when offered, what makes you think it's true?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    COWS milk is for COWS.

Translation:
    I ignore observed reality and substitute it with my own fantasies.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    COWS milk is for COWS.

tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500.gif
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    2Ua2sPl.jpg
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options

COWS milk is for COWS.

humans drink milk from other species because we CAN (hey, thanks, thumbs!).
    do you really think that other omnivorious species wouldn't be all over that **** if they had the ability?

*full disclosure : i don't drink milk, i just think that particular arguement is unfounded*
  • TattooedMuffin
    Options
    I think you made a good point. On my behalf, I've done more research than just huntington post, I was just sharing as an example. Im not going to argue further because its a waste of time.

annoyed-amazingatheist-o.gif GIFSoup
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% Cows milk. Soy gives me the runs and almond and coconut are lower in protein and potassium.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I just prefer almond milk and use it for my cereal, coffee and protein shakes...
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I use Light Soy Milk because I like the taste of it better than cow's milk. Ever since I was little I never liked the taste of cow's milk. Soy milk is also lower in sugar and high in protein, and the brand I use (Alpro) is fortified with calcium and vitamins.

I've tried Almond Milk because of the rave reviews and the fact that it is lower in calories, but it is very low in protein and I don't care for the taste.

The soy milk I use is only 44 calories a cup anyway. Not much of a difference.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of cow's milk so I switched to soy milk many years ago. At the time that was the only milk alternative available in my grocery. I sometimes drink almond milk but mostly I drink soy. I probalby wouldn't drink any of it if I could get enough calcium from food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm assuming this nonsense comes from some blog somewhere since it's regurgitated so often, but it's so ridiculous. Have you never heard of a cat? or a dog, or a pig? Many animals drink milk when they can.

Tell me another animal that drink coffee without human help.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I also don't think almonds or soy are your species either. And I don't think those species try to drink Almond or Soy milk, either. I also don't think they ride bicycles or drive cars, so we better stop that too. Wings, they're for birds, we should stop flying also. My point is that's not a very good argument. It's certainly not factual. Ignoring the fact I've seen adult animals drink fresh cows milk when offered, what makes you think it's true?

This is the nail in the coffin for the whole "Cows milk isn't meant for human" arguement. How it makes so much more sense to believe we should be drinking "milk" that has been processed from any sort of nut or bean is beyond me.