What made you fat and how are you overcoming it?

Options

Replies

• xoxomarshmallow
    Options
    i was addicted to sweets, fastfood and fizzy drinks, oh and i also have pcos so i gain weight quickly and i was very depressed about how i looked- (still am!!)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Domino's Pizza.

No more Domino's Pizza.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Being a 5'-2" female with a desk job eating like I was a 6'-2" man working construction.

Edited to add: Fast forward 2 years with MFP and I went through a major surgery (BRAIN!) and was able to keep the weight off. Love the tools I have learned here :)

Whole crazy weight loss/brain story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • xoxomarshmallow
    Options
    oh and i liked this guy who obviously thought i was the ugliest thing on planet earth so i wanna prove him wrong at my high school reunion in 10 years time.
  • USA2007
    USA2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was raised in the Deep South where everything revolves around food, and not much of it is healthy. Deep fried and delicious, I was fat by 13 and so was my entire family. I didn't know what a diet was, I didn't know what healthy was. No one in my small Alabama town ate well or exercised. I struggled with my weight all my life, but it wasn't until I was an adult and living on my own and got away from the lifestyle of junk food, eat anything you want as much as you want and went to nursing school and started doing some research that I started learning how to lose weight. I still struggle, because unhealthy food CAN be delicious and overindulging is easy sometimes, but when I look at my family ( my sister is 100 pounds overweight, my brother in law weighs 400 pounds, my teenage niece is already over 200lbs, my mom was just diagnosed with diabetes, my dad with gout) I know it's worth it. I'm healthy, and at least TRYING to be fit.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    lol, food and sitting on my lazy fat *kitten* all day.
    Now boom no more sitting all day and less food yay?
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    CARBS. Also I didn't even know what a calorie was or that they existed. I thought you could only get fat if you were eating burgers and milkshakes all the time. I was eating pretty healthy just in MASSIVE quantities. I didn't believe that you could get heavy that way. Boy was I wrong....
    Same with me, all very healthy just far to much and not enough exercise
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Food and laziness made me fat. Now I eat less of it and I workout. Boom! Done! :laugh:

QFT!!!!!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Well, I got really good at being fat over the years. I'd lose then gain more back, lose again gain more back....... over and over until I was an expert.

I'm retiring from this job, I'm really tired of it :) Eating better, moving more and enjoying life!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Lack of care, liking to eat out with hubby, lack of portion control.

I've just changed my perspective. I'd rather be alive than dead before 50.

Also, when me and my husband do decide to have kids, I didn't want to go into the obese range from gaining weight on the pregnancy. Now... I would be in the overweight range if I gained 30 pounds from being pregnant. Much more manageable.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Definitely overconsumption and lack of activity i.e. laziness.

How I am overcoming it? Well, I consume better food of the right amount of calories for my body and I exercise daily!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Probably had something to do with me consuming over 10,000 calories a day.........
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I was raised in the Deep South where everything revolves around food, and not much of it is healthy. Deep fried and delicious, I was fat by 13 and so was my entire family. I didn't know what a diet was, I didn't know what healthy was. No one in my small Alabama town ate well or exercised. I struggled with my weight all my life, but it wasn't until I was an adult and living on my own and got away from the lifestyle of junk food, eat anything you want as much as you want and went to nursing school and started doing some research that I started learning how to lose weight. I still struggle, because unhealthy food CAN be delicious and overindulging is easy sometimes, but when I look at my family ( my sister is 100 pounds overweight, my brother in law weighs 400 pounds, my teenage niece is already over 200lbs, my mom was just diagnosed with diabetes, my dad with gout) I know it's worth it. I'm healthy, and at least TRYING to be fit.

^^^^ I can definitely relate to this.... Good for you!!!! :smile:
  • MsGalaxy
    MsGalaxy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Five kids and sitting behind a desk at work. I've gone back to school for Nursing and realized just how unhealthy I was and it made me feel like a ticking time bomb. So my goal is to get to my target weight (80 pounds away) and live healthier for me and my kiddos =)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Lack of impulse control & laziness. I am overcoming it by honestly logging every morsel and working out like a beast.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonald's for 5 years and I'm a terrible snacker. I overcame it by not working there lol but in all seriousness I would eat apples and stuff instead of fries and big macs.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I was an idiot :noway: :tongue:

I was a hardcore athlete, put my lower back out and was unable to find activities that didn't make that flare up (even walking could land me flat on my back for a week)

the problem was, I still ate like a hardcore athlete but my activity was WAY down :P

I yo-yo'd a lot during these 7 years (back would feel better, would start losing, 20lbs or so then bang - back is out again and I gain it back and more lol) The problem is during all of those times (even the losing times) I didn't change my eating so I was still eating what I would as an extremely active person (not horribly unhealthy but more than a now sedentary person should) - not smart :tongue:

sure the NSAIDS I was taking can cause weight gain and I am sure it didn't help the situation but that wasn't the reason. And the broken ankle and torn shoulder (both needing surgery) added to the activity restrictions but they aren't the whole reason. You simply can't eat like an athlete while being sedentary - doesn't work :tongue:

How am I changing it?

Well, my back is feeling a lot better and I am back to being an active person. I also have great meds so if my back flares up I can take the meds and still be active :) (before all the medication PSAs start my doctor and I strictly monitor how much I take to ensure I am not getting dependant)

I am also making sure that if I am sedentary again I am not eating like I am training a lot :tongue: By counting the calories :wink:

And obviously for now I have my calories set to a deficit. I would love to know if the TDEE calcultations are acurate for me though :) right now I am still trying to find the right balance :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Probably had something to do with me consuming over 10,000 calories a day.........

tumblr_m98j9cjFmy1qbaj4uo1_500.gif
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Complacency. I ranged between healthy and slightly overweight most of my life, doing quick fixes when the pants got too tight. The cabbage soup diet was my favorite because I like cabbage and because it actually works when you only need to lose 10-15 pounds every year or two. Then at some point I let it slide too far and bought bigger pants. I got comfortable in those and decided maybe it came with middle age. Before I knew it, I was in even bigger pants. Then I tried my quick fix and found that it was only good for about 10-15 pounds and that wasn't enough. I am overcoming complacency by being convinced of how serious and important this is. I also have this experience of being overweight for a few years pretty much behind me now. I really didn't like that. When I reach goal, I am getting rid of all the fat boy clothes and I am not buying any more. If things start to get tight, I may resort to one of my quick fixes again or I may adjust my portions and what not; I am not sure. But I will not buy the bigger pants again.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Regular workout and uncontrolled eating!