Fat shaming and making fun of fat people

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The only time physical assaults are justified in any way is in self defence. From physical attack - NOT to make yourself feel like a big, tough bad@ss when somebody makes a snarky comment. Because you might think that it's big and clever to assault another person - but it doesn't. It makes you the bad guy.
    I'm a 5ft4" middle-aged woman, not a 'big, tough, bada$$'. I also didn't say it was big or clever....what I said was that I exploded and that it was 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.

Do you seriously think that if I had been thinking rationally I'd have thought to myself "Oh that guy who's at least 6 inches taller than me and much fitter has just insulted me, so despite the fact that I'm a short, unfit, 44yr old woman who's never hurt anyone in her life...I'll try taking him on in a fight" Come on.....engage some common sense here. Again I'll say that if you push someone too far they may implode or explode - it's not a rational response.

Still - it's nice to see that self-righteousness is alive and well on MFP today :drinker:

Although I don't condone violence...you go girl! That little pr!ck will think twice next time he decides to be an @sshole. You quite possibly saved someone else's self esteem that day.

Translation: "Although I don't condone violence, that violent physical reaction to his verbal tirade was totally awesome! You go girl!"

And yes, I'm still dumbfounded that so many people are okay with this.
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    BIGGGMOMMMA Posts: 190
    Options
    I didn't watch the video but I've been both fat and thin (hottie) in my life and I know it's my fault totally. I love good food! I don't cry about it or look to be some kind of victim. I also don't care what anyone yells at me from across the street or restaurant. But if someone gets in my face I will let them know how I feel. (Believe me! lol) I also don't need someone supporting, encouraging or watching over me. I hate cry babies who wahh at any reason someone offends them. Get over it or stay at home inside with the curtains closed. I chose to lose weight this time only because my health is at stake and I have young children to live for. Otherwise I'd be eating a big *kitten* hamburger, fries and vanilla shake right now, SUPERSIZED! hahaha But seriously I think overweight people need to either put up with ignorant people or lose weight. And even then, If it's not weight people are talking crap about it's race, sexual identity, sex, age, omg etc, etc... People will always talk crap no matter who or what you are period.
    Nope nope nope...Nobody should have to put up with ignorant people full stop. Yeah I'm a dreamer, yeah people suck but people should not as you put it "Get over it or stay at home inside with the curtains closed" because of the ignorance of others.

How about instead of people putting up with it maybe other people should stop the excrement from pouring out of their mouths.

Yes no one should put up with ignorant people but what do you propose we do? Call the cops everytime someone calls us fat? Or how about we kick their *kitten*? Better yet, we can carry a gun around.....We can't force anyone to stop talking crap, and while were sitting there crying about it and reliving it over and over, that person who offended you is happy go lucky living their life, and doesn't care how their words devastated you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the video but I've been both fat and thin (hottie) in my life and I know it's my fault totally. I love good food! I don't cry about it or look to be some kind of victim. I also don't care what anyone yells at me from across the street or restaurant. But if someone gets in my face I will let them know how I feel. (Believe me! lol) I also don't need someone supporting, encouraging or watching over me. I hate cry babies who wahh at any reason someone offends them. Get over it or stay at home inside with the curtains closed. I chose to lose weight this time only because my health is at stake and I have young children to live for. Otherwise I'd be eating a big *kitten* hamburger, fries and vanilla shake right now, SUPERSIZED! hahaha But seriously I think overweight people need to either put up with ignorant people or lose weight. And even then, If it's not weight people are talking crap about it's race, sexual identity, sex, age, omg etc, etc... People will always talk crap no matter who or what you are period.
    Nope nope nope...Nobody should have to put up with ignorant people full stop. Yeah I'm a dreamer, yeah people suck but people should not as you put it "Get over it or stay at home inside with the curtains closed" because of the ignorance of others.

How about instead of people putting up with it maybe other people should stop the excrement from pouring out of their mouths.

Yes no one should put up with ignorant people but what do you propose we do? Call the cops everytime someone calls us fat? Or how about we kick their *kitten*? Better yet, we can carry a gun around.....We can't force anyone to stop talking crap, and while were sitting there crying about it and reliving it over and over, that person who offended you is happy go lucky living their life, and doesn't care how their words devastated you.

Apparently you're supposed to kick them in the junk. That's what MFP has taught me today. :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You honestly think that thin and fit people don't have people call us names? *kitten* hats, are *kitten* hats. People get called names for their race, gender, sexual preferences, clothing, weight, what bathing suit they are wearing, whether they wear gloves to the gym, sunglasses, who they are with, etc. Most of us do what mature adults do. We walk away and occasionally respond with a sarcastic comment. There are some pretty good examples of people who have done this and changed the world's perception of them. Your weight does not give you special pass to be violent to others.
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    BIGGGMOMMMA Posts: 190
    Options

Apparently you're supposed to kick them in the junk. That's what MFP has taught me today. :flowerforyou:

That's absolute nonsense. So I'm going to go around beating everyone up because I can't stop stuffing my fat face? I have a family to look out for. I'm losing weight for them. I love to eat fattening food. I decided to finally stop myself, not because someone "shamed" me into it.

Don't get me twisted though because if someone actually assaults me or one of my kids it will be over for the poor chap. I will unleash my inner ghetto. LOL Otherwise I just laugh back, walk with my head up, smile on my fat face, they can kiss my fat *kitten*! hahaha
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I wait and sneak in their house and swap their fat free skim milk with whole milk.

+1 point for the fat people
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The only time physical assaults are justified in any way is in self defence. From physical attack - NOT to make yourself feel like a big, tough bad@ss when somebody makes a snarky comment. Because you might think that it's big and clever to assault another person - but it doesn't. It makes you the bad guy.
    I'm a 5ft4" middle-aged woman, not a 'big, tough, bada$$'. I also didn't say it was big or clever....what I said was that I exploded and that it was 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.

Do you seriously think that if I had been thinking rationally I'd have thought to myself "Oh that guy who's at least 6 inches taller than me and much fitter has just insulted me, so despite the fact that I'm a short, unfit, 44yr old woman who's never hurt anyone in her life...I'll try taking him on in a fight" Come on.....engage some common sense here. Again I'll say that if you push someone too far they may implode or explode - it's not a rational response.

Still - it's nice to see that self-righteousness is alive and well on MFP today :drinker:

Although I don't condone violence...you go girl! That little pr!ck will think twice next time he decides to be an @sshole. You quite possibly saved someone else's self esteem that day.

Translation: "Although I don't condone violence, that violent physical reaction to his verbal tirade was totally awesome! You go girl!"

And yes, I'm still dumbfounded that so many people are okay with this.

You needed translation?
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I choose to workout early in the morning (I get up 4:00 am) because I used to go for walks after work when it was cooler. Everyday the same man in the same truck would drive by me and yell very unflattering things about me. Did I cry? Yes, but not where or when he could see me. Did I stop walking, no. Just readjusted my schedule to save myself the embarrasment. Did I change my mindset? Yes. I actually feel bad for this man that his life is so miserable that he has to try to tear me down to make himself feel better. I'm doing this for my health, for me and for the people who love me. Any other opinion doesn't matter.

I think you are beautiful.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Fat people get shamed, thin people get shamed now ("real women have curves", "men don't want skeletons", etc.) Don't shame anyone. What business is someone else's weight of yours?

Being overweight is terrible for your health. Everyone knows that. It rubbed me the wrong way how he was pretty much blaming other people for his overeating. "People teased me so I got depressed and overate." Ate the end of the day, you choose what goes in your own mouth.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Excuses, excuses.

What about people who take drugs? Oh because I get bullied I can go take meth! I'm not ashamed of this!!!

ugh. I heard nothing but lazy excuses.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's not nice to shame anyone. People have different ways of dealing with life's stresses. By overeating, one shows it to the world. By dealing with the demons by drinking or sex addiction, no one sees it, but it is still harmful. My point is we shouldn't judge anyone for how they deal with their problems.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I can't finish watching it, it's a whole load of self pity and an effort to guilt-trip others. He moans about being fat, but what has he done to change it? Consult with a psychiatrist? Work out? Limit what he eats? Something?

He should be ashamed, not because he's fat, but because he doesn't show any effort to change it other than whine on Youtube.

Not how I would have said it, but pretty much how I feel.

People can life their lives however they want. I don't really care. However if a smoker gets cancer or a drunk driver gets a DUI. Don't cry to me about it because I have zero sympathy for something that is self inflicted. Same with someone who is overweight. I understand that something's are beyond peoples control and there are always exceptions, but for the most part if your situation is self inflicted (which being obese can be) then don't expect me to pity you for how hard your life. You did it to yourself. I'm not going to shame you, because how you life your life is none of my business until it directly effects me, but don't expect pity either.

If you don't like being overweight take personal responsibility and do something about it.
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    people make me sad
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Were you charged with assault & battery for your physical response to verbal abuse?

Nope and frankly the consequences of my actions were the last thing on my mind because here's the thing.....it's a 'camel's back' situation. A person can take nasty comments week in and week out for a long time (in my case it stretched back to school where I was bullied badly for my weight), but everyone has a breaking point and when they reach it they're either going to implode or explode. I exploded and at the time I absolutely, 100% wanted to hurt him as badly as I'd been hurt down the years. I literally had tunnel vision. I had so much adrenaline pumping through me I puked when I got home!

So that's my words of advice to people who do fat shame....have a care because people do have breaking points and you don't know if you're going to be the straw that breaks that fat camel's back.

Of course the other thing is that the guy would never have reported me - how would that conversion have gone? "Hi officer, I want to report being beaten up. Can I describe the attacker? Yes, she was short, fat and middle-aged" Would he wait around for the sound of a police officer snickering to stop?

Personally, I think what you did -- whether he deserved it or not - was physical assault, and the guy should have complained to the police. And whether or not the police would "snicker" at the guy, they still should have charged you with assault and battery. It doesn't matter if you're obese or not, what you did was wrong. Nobody has the right to put their hands, or their feet, on another person's body part in an act of violence.

It sounds like you're still harboring some serious anger regarding how you've been treated. I think your energy and efforts would be better put to use in getting rid of some of that, instead of bragging about how you turned a verbal assault (which is abusive mentally but not physically) into a physical one.

And, if you're a mom, I do hope you haven't shared this story with your kids, who would read that as: "Mom says it's okay to kick a man in a very sensitive area if he verbally assaults me." No, the words HE said did not justify the reaction you gave.

ETA: I have a black belt degree in Tae Kwon Do. While I thankfully have never had to use it, I do like to think that I can really hurt someone if they deserved it. What self defense training taught me is this: verbal abuse does not justify physical abuse. Only when the verbal abuse turns physical does it deserve to be returned in kind. AND, kicking a man in the crotch is the best way to get him even angrier and potentially more violent towards you. If you REALLY want to damage someone, go for the eyes, the throat, the shins and the kneecaps. THOSE are the "sweet spots". :)

His 'very sensitive area' will heal. This ladies memories of verbal assault will stay with her forever.

My ex boyfriend shouted verbal abuse at me in the middle of the street (granted, it wasn't about my weight) so I slapt him around the face and walked off. He DID go to the police, two weeks later. I was cautioned for battery.

No, what I did was NOT right but neither was his verbal assault on me, in my view, we were both equally in the wrong.

And as for this lady sharing her story with her children, that is her prerogative, her decision and if she does? I am sure she will have very good reason to.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming is a horrible thing....

I know has had a moment where they judge people by the way they look- the clothes they wear, how much they weight, their eye color, etc. But honestly, to the point where you are harassing someone because of their weight is just awful.

I have had personal experience with this as an outsider watching people fat shame my sister.

I love my sister dearly. She is an emotional overeater, so she is 400-500+ pounds. She's also has her demons, but she has a huge heart as well. She could also bench what I could press with my legs in high school. It wasn't all fat, but that didn't matter. People judged and still judge her all the time due to her weight. Being her little sister, many people didn't know that they were talking about my sister when making fun of her in front of me. It made me naseous that people could be so cruel.

Bottom line: treat others as you want to be treated. If you were that weight, would you want to have the things you say said behind your back? I doubt it.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Were you charged with assault & battery for your physical response to verbal abuse?

Nope and frankly the consequences of my actions were the last thing on my mind because here's the thing.....it's a 'camel's back' situation. A person can take nasty comments week in and week out for a long time (in my case it stretched back to school where I was bullied badly for my weight), but everyone has a breaking point and when they reach it they're either going to implode or explode. I exploded and at the time I absolutely, 100% wanted to hurt him as badly as I'd been hurt down the years. I literally had tunnel vision. I had so much adrenaline pumping through me I puked when I got home!

So that's my words of advice to people who do fat shame....have a care because people do have breaking points and you don't know if you're going to be the straw that breaks that fat camel's back.

Of course the other thing is that the guy would never have reported me - how would that conversion have gone? "Hi officer, I want to report being beaten up. Can I describe the attacker? Yes, she was short, fat and middle-aged" Would he wait around for the sound of a police officer snickering to stop?

Personally, I think what you did -- whether he deserved it or not - was physical assault, and the guy should have complained to the police. And whether or not the police would "snicker" at the guy, they still should have charged you with assault and battery. It doesn't matter if you're obese or not, what you did was wrong. Nobody has the right to put their hands, or their feet, on another person's body part in an act of violence.

It sounds like you're still harboring some serious anger regarding how you've been treated. I think your energy and efforts would be better put to use in getting rid of some of that, instead of bragging about how you turned a verbal assault (which is abusive mentally but not physically) into a physical one.

And, if you're a mom, I do hope you haven't shared this story with your kids, who would read that as: "Mom says it's okay to kick a man in a very sensitive area if he verbally assaults me." No, the words HE said did not justify the reaction you gave.

ETA: I have a black belt degree in Tae Kwon Do. While I thankfully have never had to use it, I do like to think that I can really hurt someone if they deserved it. What self defense training taught me is this: verbal abuse does not justify physical abuse. Only when the verbal abuse turns physical does it deserve to be returned in kind. AND, kicking a man in the crotch is the best way to get him even angrier and potentially more violent towards you. If you REALLY want to damage someone, go for the eyes, the throat, the shins and the kneecaps. THOSE are the "sweet spots". :)

His 'very sensitive area' will heal. This ladies memories of verbal assault will stay with her forever.

My ex boyfriend shouted verbal abuse at me in the middle of the street (granted, it wasn't about my weight) so I slapt him around the face and walked off. He DID go to the police, two weeks later. I was cautioned for battery.

No, what I did was NOT right but neither was his verbal assault on me, in my view, we were both equally in the wrong.

And as for this lady sharing her story with her children, that is her prerogative, her decision and if she does? I am sure she will have very good reason to.

NOBODY has the right to conduct physical violence against ANYONE, no matter what gender they happen to be. You're also wrong in slapping your ex boyfriend. What could you have done instead while he was verbally abusing you? How about LEFT him? That's more powerful,and shows more personal strength, in my opinion, than slapping him. But unfortunately, many women refuse to do this and put up with that behavior again and again until, no surprise, they snap and turn to violence.

AND yes, it happens both ways. Many men are badgered and verbally abused by women. Do they report it? No, because they're just as ashamed and embarrassed. But when those men finally snap and conduct violence towards that woman, and the man is bigger and stronger, would you be okay with that "because the woman pushed and pushed and deserved it"?

And if you assume that I have not been bullied, ever, let me assure you i have. I was bullied through middle school AND high school. I was called horrible names by several different boys. Did it permit me to slap them? NO. Did it affect me for a long time afterwards? YES. Words hurt, and verbal abuse is wrong. But somehow justifying your behavior with physical violence is 1000 times WRONG.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That video makes me sad. I do agree with him on two points,

1. Overconsumption is not the problem, it is the symptom of other issues which lead to over eating. It's a coping mechanism.
    2. "Friends" who purposely make fun of you with the intention of making you see that being fat is "bad" are really not doing you any favor, in fact they are making it worst.

However, I do believe everyone has the potential to turn themselves around, especially without all the fat shaming and making fun of fat people. That willpower and motivation has to stem from within. That change you really want to happen can only be done by the person themselves.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    It's not nice to shame anyone. People have different ways of dealing with life's stresses. By overeating, one shows it to the world. By dealing with the demons by drinking or sex addiction, no one sees it, but it is still harmful. My point is we shouldn't judge anyone for how they deal with their problems.
    This.

I haven't read all of the comments on this thread because, frankly, most of y'all seem to lack basic compassion.

Y'all also don't seem to know a damn thing about clinical depression, which is what the guy in the video obviously suffers from. I do feel sorry for him - not because he's obese but because he has not yet found a treatment for his clinical depression and anxiety that works for him, though he says he has been trying (I do hope that's true). As someone who suffers from both and has been battling them for most of my 47 years, I can tell you that, once that treatment is found, it's like night and day. It doesn't mean that I don't still struggle with these issues and any food issues I might have, but finding the right therapist/medication makes the struggles easier to handle.

I really hope that he finds something that works for him. Not because it'll help him to "see the light" and start losing weight (though that would be great), but because his life will be so much more enjoyable when he sees that his depression and anxiety don't have to rule him.

Body shaming of ANY kind is wrong. I don't care if it's fat shaming, thin shaming or concern trolling.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options

He should be ashamed, not because he's fat, but because he doesn't show any effort to change it other than whine on Youtube.

^^^ This!

I was driving to work the other day and saw a woman who appeared to be in forties run/walking down the side of the road. I don't know what made me stop but I did. I got out of my car - not knowing this woman - and cheered her on. I encouraged her for her efforts to obviously try to change her situation and get healthier. She was out there doing it. She came up to me and gave me a big hug and thanked me for my words. She took a few minutes to say that she didn't get that kind of support at home, that her husband and family shamed her because she was fat and she wanted to cry because a stranger had given her that kind of support.

I think if we courage people more change will happen. I have a daughter who has gotten a little chubby and as a 3rd grader the other kids pounced on the opportunity to make fun of her. It breaks my heart because I know she's getting ready to grow taller but they don't care. I'm encouraging her to make healthy choices NOT because of her weight but because in the long run it's better for her body and her mind.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Yes! There is one women in particular at my gym who motivates me.....and she doesn't even know. She is there every day sweating and busting *kitten*. I can see her body changing and it is very inspiring!!!

Maybe you should tell her.

I love this!
    Stop playing the victim and start being your own hero.

Also, I'd like to high five MsPudding, and IN for SoVi's legs. :bigsmile:

I was thinking about it! But after reading the one comment about "inspiration porn" I feel bad......:cry: I don't want her to think she is my "inspiration porn". Personally I don't like porn...I like doing it myself.:sad:

Why not tell her? It's not any different from you telling one of your MFP friends that they inspire and motivate you, and it'll probably make her feel good. Not in a porno way. :tongue: