Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    up until last year I could eat anything I wanted in any amount and not gain an pound. I had muscles a woman should not have and loved it. actually gained 10lbs and lost a pant size at one point 5 years ago. now that I quit smoking and was on some meds I gained 20lbs and cannot for the life of me lose a lb. what a drastic change! HATE IT!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    OK, so I know this is not "helpful" and is possibly "rude" but as I was enjoying this thread I wondered does anyone else think an ectomorph sounds like something the Ghostbuster would catch?

Do you remember the ectocoolers with slimer on them? Think it was Hi C
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
    Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.
    But like anyone else, if he over consumes, he's going to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And again I agree with you, but the point being is that he trains and eats for what is right for his body.

Most of the time they are eating to fuel the main energy store that their particular activity will deplete the fastest during exercise. That doesn't have anything to do with body type, but more to do with sport specific.

QFT......... has nothing to do with his body type and everything to do with his energy expenditures.. Fueling his body for the demand that he is asking of it to do........

[/quote

Ok...I agree with this. The more you burn the more you need to fuel. But (and I am asking seriously, because I do want to know what you think) do you think that because of his body type or that his body type may paly a role in how effectivly/quickly he burns calories or how quickly his body can change/adapt to his training?

Thanks.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

IDEA Fitness member

You won't classify people by somatypes but you have no problem making sweeping statements like "thin people don't eat enough". We've all known plenty of thin people who overeat every day and never gain any weight.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    OK, so I know this is not "helpful" and is possibly "rude" but as I was enjoying this thread I wondered does anyone else think an ectomorph sounds like something the Ghostbuster would catch?

Lol...:laugh: Def agree with this. I also though the terms sounds very cave-mannish.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Do you remember the ectocoolers with slimer on them? Think it was Hi C

I do, but I don't remember if I ever drank that flavor or not.

Here's a good question... if it were around today, could ectomorphs drink Ecto Cooler? Or would it mess with their goals?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ecto-cooler-box.png
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    up until last year I could eat anything I wanted in any amount and not gain an pound. I had muscles a woman should not have and loved it. actually gained 10lbs and lost a pant size at one point 5 years ago. now that I quit smoking and was on some meds I gained 20lbs and cannot for the life of me lose a lb. what a drastic change! HATE IT!!!!
    [/quot\]

I'm sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating this can be. I would encourage you to not give up with being healthy. Being healthy, physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually is really what is all about. And congrats on giving up smoking. I know it's difficult, (I quit several years ago) but I feel so much better for having done so. :smile:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Ok...I agree with this. The more you burn the more you need to fuel. But (and I am asking seriously, because I do want to know what you think) do you think that because of his body type or that his body type may paly a role in how effectivly/quickly he burns calories or how quickly his body can change/adapt to his training?

Thanks.

Honestly, no. It really does depend on the type of training/sport the athlete would be preparing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
    Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.

IDEA Fitness member

And again I agree with you, but the point being is that he trains and eats for what is right for his body.
    No he's training and eating for the NEED of what he's trying to accomplish. If his accomplishment was to just stay at the weight he is at now and not compete anymore, he would drastically have to change his diet. His body wouldn't change if he kept his calorie intake for his output correct.

IDEA Fitness member

Again I agree. And at a different stage in his life will require him to change his eating. I also do NOT believe that we will stay a specific body type our whole lives. As we age or our diets change or weight...etc. We will have to compansate. But, if we are just starting with weight lose/healthy lifestyle ir just trying to (and I hate using this word) tweaking our diets then it is something that could be helpful. Why does that bother you so much? I would think that trying to help people find what works for them and is healthy would be important to not only a trainer, coach, nutrituonist...but for everyone who really does just want to help people.
    It's true that I am not a trained, I don't have a PHD, I do have years of personal experience and a sympathy for everyone who is trying their hardest at losing weight, but feeling hopeless and helpless because they can't, even if everything they are doing is right by the weighlose thinking.
    Sorry but I disagree. Our "body type" doesn't change. We retain the same genetics and shape for life unless altered by surgery or trauma. If we're speaking of changing of diet due to METABOLIC factors, then yes I agree.
    And yes I do help people, by not adhering to the BS that is being passed on in fitness (broscience) and other misinformation. Ask any client of mine who's successfully got to goal WITHOUT having to diet or use supplements or magic pills. They'll tell you that I use a no nonsense Tough Love approach.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.

IDEA Fitness member

You won't classify people by somatypes but you have no problem making sweeping statements like "thin people don't eat enough". We've all known plenty of thin people who overeat every day and never gain any weight.

Thank you for pointing this out. The idea behind this post was not to try to classify people of lump them into a sterotype. I'm sorry to everyone for the misuderstanding. The point was to have a, non juge mental, rude or shaming discussion because I really want to know what people think.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Question.

IDEA Fitness member

Most of the time they are eating to fuel the main energy store that their particular activity will deplete the fastest during exercise. That doesn't have anything to do with body type, but more to do with sport specific.

QFT......... has nothing to do with his body type and everything to do with his energy expenditures.. Fueling his body for the demand that he is asking of it to do........

Thanks.
    No. Because you get someone with the same exact body type and they DON'T burn as many calories a person who's fitter.
    There are lots of world class muscular sprinters who burn more calories than someone with the same physique who doesn't run.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I *thought* I knew thin people like that... basically living on junk, eating whatever they wanted and not gaining weight. When I thought about it more and paid attention I realized these people got full pretty easily, didn't eat large portions, would sometimes skip meals and/or had pretty active lives. For instance, every time I go to my brother's house he has Reese's cups, Oreos, ice cream, soda, and other treats on hand. I wondered how he could eat all that and nmaintain a healthy weight all these years, and when I thought about it I realized a few things.

First, he usually doesn't eat very larger portions. He's cheap, so the only times you'll really see him pig out is if someone else is footing the bill and even then I can out-eat him most times. Second, he's on his feet all day at work. Third, he has no attention span so he's constantly fidgeting and pacing around... he can't stay still. Lastly, in addition to exercising regularly he walks to places that are close enough (grocery store, barber, etc);

I think there are lots of examples like this where we can see people are not actually "overeating" without gaining weight.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I only refer to somatypes when I have really bad days. I'd be like, "ah wells, can't seem to lose weight today, it is okay I am an endomorph" lol. It somehow makes me feel better.

Otherwise, I don't bother with them. I just eat at a calorie deficit. and train hard. :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

If they overate, they would gain weight. You don't break the law of physics by not meeting a calorie goal. Being at this for 30 years, I've seen my share of "thin" overeaters....................and they don't overeat. Sorry.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I *thought* I knew thin people like that... basically living on junk, eating whatever they wanted and not gaining weight. When I thought about it more and paid attention I realized these people got full pretty easily, didn't eat large portions, would sometimes skip meals and/or had pretty active lives. For instance, every time I go to my brother's house he has Reese's cups, Oreos, ice cream, soda, and other treats on hand. I wondered how he could eat all that and nmaintain a healthy weight all these years, and when I thought about it I realized a few things.

First, he usually doesn't eat very larger portions. He's cheap, so the only times you'll really see him pig out is if someone else is footing the bill and even then I can out-eat him most times. Second, he's on his feet all day at work. Third, he has no attention span so he's constantly fidgeting and pacing around... he can't stay still. Lastly, in addition to exercising regularly he walks to places that are close enough (grocery store, barber, etc);

I think there are lots of examples like this where we can see people are not actually "overeating" without gaining weight.

this
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Meds change hormonal response. See an endocrinologist to see if they can help.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Question.

IDEA Fitness member

No he's training and eating for the NEED of what he's trying to accomplish. If his accomplishment was to just stay at the weight he is at now and not compete anymore, he would drastically have to change his diet. His body wouldn't change if he kept his calorie intake for his output correct.

IDEA Fitness member

Again I agree. And at a different stage in his life will require him to change his eating. I also do NOT believe that we will stay a specific body type our whole lives. As we age or our diets change or weight...etc. We will have to compansate. But, if we are just starting with weight lose/healthy lifestyle ir just trying to (and I hate using this word) tweaking our diets then it is something that could be helpful. Why does that bother you so much? I would think that trying to help people find what works for them and is healthy would be important to not only a trainer, coach, nutrituonist...but for everyone who really does just want to help people.
    It's true that I am not a trained, I don't have a PHD, I do have years of personal experience and a sympathy for everyone who is trying their hardest at losing weight, but feeling hopeless and helpless because they can't, even if everything they are doing is right by the weighlose thinking.
    Sorry but I disagree. Our "body type" doesn't change. We retain the same genetics and shape for life unless altered by surgery or trauma. If we're speaking of changing of diet due to METABOLIC factors, then yes I agree.
    And yes I do help people, by not adhering to the BS that is being passed on in fitness (broscience) and other misinformation. Ask any client of mine who's successfully got to goal WITHOUT having to diet or use supplements or magic pills. They'll tell you that I use a no nonsense Tough Love approach.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to offend you by what I said or try to say that you didn't/don't help people. I just don't understand the attack ... because I would like to hear what other people have to say without all the rude comments. Plus I also do not buy into fad diets or pills...etc. I think they are dangerous. But I don't see why it is so difficult to believe that because our bodies are different it means that maybe it won't be as easy for me lose weight as it is for someone else.
    Personally, I would have enjoyed hearing more of what you had to say especial since you are a certified trainer and I have not had the opportunity to talk with a trainer, coach, nutrtionist, but why the need for assault when I am simply asking a question?
    Btw...I have posted before trying to get others opinion about nutrition/diet...etc and I was met with the same negativity as I am seeing now. It is very frustrating and defeating when someone is just looking for help and support. Where else are we supposed to look for it if not at a place that's there for the reason to help us with one of those ways being support and motivation? (Long sentence, sorry.)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for pointing this out. The idea behind this post was not to try to classify people of lump them into a sterotype. I'm sorry to everyone for the misuderstanding. The point was to have a, non juge mental, rude or shaming discussion because I really want to know what people think.
    But you did lump them by somatyping.:laugh: Here let's use some actual peer reviewed scientific studying here:

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt5489n783;NAAN=13030&doc.view=frames&chunk.id=d0e8888&toc.depth=1&toc.id=d0e6478&brand=oac4

Usefulness of Somatotyping
    Hughes

Has somatotyping gotten us any closer to answering the relative contribution to physique of genetic endowment and environmental factors?

Roll

No, not really. There have been some interesting studies of twins, particularly twins who have been separated at birth. The idea is to see whether they will develop the same somatotypes irrespective of environment. They do seem to be more like each other than siblings are when separated and brought up in different environments.

But I would say that the usefulness of somatotype is implied rather than real. Perhaps one way of putting it would be that Lindsay and I, and I in particular, have spent our time in modifying and perfecting the technique. I have said that, ever since I adopted somatotype as my chief enterprise, I have addressed myself to methodology and not application. One can't do both. I realized we had to have a proper tool before it would be very useful. I made peace with the idea that I was not going to prove its usefulness myself. That's for someone else to do.

In the somatotype book, in the last chapter, we discuss new directions and possible applications. I think there are some specific areas in which it could be extremely useful. We talked earlier about the significance of dysplasias. I think dysplasias are certainly reflections of direct genetic inheritance. I don't think there's any doubt about that. The genetic aspects of somatotype have not been investigated, and I think will not be until researchers are interested in directing their attention to describing dysplasias, really including them in the somatotype. Logically it is the next step.

IDEA Fitness member