What delicious food are you allergic to?

12345679»

Replies

• gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Fresh fruit! Causes swelling and irritation to my face/neck internal and ex[termal]. The worst I remember my throat nearly swelled shut, yikes! Allergy reactions were severe in my teens and have lessened, except watermelon. And I'm glad it did, because I never really stopped eating fruit. I like to live life on the edge, i suppose. lol
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Until four years ago, I hadn't met anyone else with a similar allergy. He was 6 years old, poor kid :( But, his parents seemed to make it easier for him :D

The father told me it's a Birch pollen allergy.
  • Bananas!! me too! It's a latex related allergy. Sniff...I miss bananas so much!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Could be an allergy or oral allergy syndrome. Keep track of it. Pay attention to if it is worse at certain times of year (when there are particular pollens in the air) or when eaten in conjunction with something else (almonds, strawberries, pineapple...) I am okay when I eat bananas as long as I haven't had anything else I am sensitive to. But if I've had something else, the effect multiplies.
    There are a lot of different allergies here! Apart from the obvious, like being rushed to the ER or having an immediate gut-wrenching reaction, how did you all figure out what your trigger foods were? I suspect I may have food allergies, but nothing is severe enough for me to be 100% sure... I'm almost positive I have a banana allergy, my tongue feels like it's stinging and tingling after I eat one.
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Hazel nuts .. Lately I have been having a reaction.
  • Oatmeal and peas. So weird!
  • almonds and spicy food:sad:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    A lot of people think that "mild" means intolerant and "severe" means allergic. This is not true. Allergic means that histamines are produced. Intolerant means that they aren't. An allergy can be mild - tingling tongue, itch, headache, blurry vision, etc. You do not need to have anaphylaxis or a rash for it to be an allergy. An intolerance can be severe - celiac gluten intolerance can cause ataxia, intractable diarrhea that puts you in hospital, apraxia (speech problems), and complications leading to death.

If you have a mild allergy to something, you can probably get away with having a little bit now and then. You may be able to avoid it for a few years and then go back to eating it again. You may be able to introduce tiny amounts and gradually increase your tolerance. But "allergy" doesn't mean it is life threatening, it doesn't mean anaphylaxis. There are lots of things that I am allergic to that aren't going to kill me. Hayfever is an allergy. On the other hand, there are a few things that I have an anaphylactic allergy to, that I strictly avoid. I also have intolerances.

Sometimes you can be allergic and intolerant at the same time - for example, someone with celiac disease can also have a wheat allergy. Two different parts of the immune system reacting to the same food.
    Sounds like most of you are intolerant, not allergic. Too different things entirely.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    shellfish.. all of it.. boohooo..
    i'll die if i eat them.. go into anaphylaxis shock.. not fun..

I love them too.. *sniff* grew up eating them...

wahhhhhhhh
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    i'm allergic to kit-kats. i don't even know how this is possible, but i didn't believe it and tried several times - i'd consume 2+ in a day and every time i did i'd end up with ...well, having to run to the toilet constantly.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Strawberries and scallions cause purple marks to appear all
    over my face. No idea if it can kill me so basically I quit them.
    I miss strawberries too.
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Bananas! It's horrible. It seems EVERYTHING has some kind of banana base.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Dairy. I still eat it though, I just get a bad stomach ache and feel sick for a few hours.
  • where do i start... i have celiac (gluten), cherries and all other stone fruits, dairy, peanuts and hazelnuts!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Could be an allergy or oral allergy syndrome. Keep track of it. Pay attention to if it is worse at certain times of year (when there are particular pollens in the air) or when eaten in conjunction with something else (almonds, strawberries, pineapple...) I am okay when I eat bananas as long as I haven't had anything else I am sensitive to. But if I've had something else, the effect multiplies.
    There are a lot of different allergies here! Apart from the obvious, like being rushed to the ER or having an immediate gut-wrenching reaction, how did you all figure out what your trigger foods were? I suspect I may have food allergies, but nothing is severe enough for me to be 100% sure... I'm almost positive I have a banana allergy, my tongue feels like it's stinging and tingling after I eat one.

My husband went to an ENT and got sent for bloodwork to get checked.