What made you fat and how are you overcoming it?

Options

Replies

• Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Too much food traveling down my neck made me fat. I used to teach 6 Tae Kwon Do classes a week, weight train, and hit the trails on my mountain-bike. I stopped doing all of that about 10 years ago, and continues to eat like I didn't. I'm not sure why it never really mattered to me that I gained a massive amount of weight, but once I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes it suddenly became very real and very serious.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Graduating college and having an hour and a half commute each way to work, along with a job where I lived in hotel rooms (before the whole microwave and mini fridge were almost standard), AND getting heat exhaustion and exertion migraines very easily (living in Houston TX didn't help there) .....contributed to me putting on 10 pounds......since I didn't decrease how much I ate to compensate. (at graduation I was 135 pounds ~20% bf)

Getting a personal trainer, and getting close to my goal....I tore a hamstring muscle.....and from that injury, I developed really really bad tendonities in my knee....so another 10 pounds got out on due to inactivity, and again, not watching/decreasing how much I ate.

Then went up a little more once I moved and got into a relationship......but started losing it and was back down to where I was after the injury (so still 20 from where I wanted to be)....then got pregnant......will admit to being inactive, although I watched what I ate.....my body was packing on the pounds there at the end, and I was watching what/how much I was eating closely (6 pounds overnight WTF?!?!)....had the kid and due to rather sever blood loss and other pelvic issues I pretty much had no energy/was barely able to move for 3 months took another 3 after that to be able to move normally.....even BFing and having the kid, only went down 12 pounds, and again, was generally watching what/how much I was eating......

So 8 months after having the kid got a personal trainer again (explained the injury) and joined WW. Was religious in logging and exercising.....after 6 months, no loss, not even a decrease in clothing size....got depressed.....thought, why bother? why am I spending all this money for nothing?!?!?! So stopped caring

Went back on BC pills a year after having the kid.....lost 20 pounds in a MONTH. Didn't change my eating habits.....(mainly drinking habits....my job was getting super sucky and stressful at this point) Body got used to the hormones.....put it all back on.

Stayed 12 pounds less than my HW while pregant.....didn't watch what or how much I ate or drank.....or get exersice. Did a lot of travelling for work, continued drinking due to stress.

Got a new job. Stress drinking stopped. Saw a picture of myself and didn't even realize it was me.

Joined MFP.....have not been consistent. But lost 10 pounds from my post preg high weight....and have been more mindful of what I'm eating even when not logging. Got a bodymedia link armband.....trying to be more mindful for getting exercise. I still have to be mindful of the injury (even 8 years later) and the tendonitis....but I have to be even MORE mindful of NOT letting the injury be an excuse for not being active.

TL:DR version: Ate too much for my activity (or lack thereof) level.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Eating out. I truly had no clue that eating a cheeseburger out wouldn't be the same calories as eating one at home, why would you think it would be any different? Now I know better. I skip going out, the calories are not worth it and I learned to cook to make my meals taste better anyway!

this was my problem, I thought I was being good bc I was ordering items like Lettuce wraps with chicken sans noodles, only to find out just a few small ones had my daily caloric intake and tons more sodium..I couldnt figure out what my problem was. Now I only eat restaurant food once/week on date nights or social nights out. The rest of the week all of my food is organic and simple and homemade
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    In for all the excuses, for me it was over consumption of calories

^ This + pure laziness.

I overcame it by eating less calories and moving more.

Yep. I will add, I was also very unknowladgeable about health and nutrition. My Dad ate twice what I did when fat and he stayed a string bean! :laugh: It's okay, we're cool now ;)
  • Tiffanie0407
    Tiffanie0407 Posts: 112
    Options
    I made myself fat by thinking when i got pregnant it was a excuse for me to eat a lot a whole lot im talking about like 9-11 times a day. Yup i know sad!!!!
  • JackieMarte2013
    Options
    Having kids does it. I have 4 and my last is going on 3 so I need to stop using the excuse that I just had a baby :)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    What made me fat -

Upbringing to begin with.

Then living on my own, deciding on poor food choices.

Overcoming it -

Education. Currently in the 7th month of learning what to do, how to do it, wash and repeat.

Still feel like im only scratching the surface, but i already know much more than i did 7 months ago.

And its only getting better.
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sitting on my butt and overeating. Now I'm getting off my butt and eating healthier.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    Zebra cakes would just jump into my mouth when I was pregnant. Then I gave birth and found MFP (diet & activity). Learning a lot a lot!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Being on steroid medications as a kid, not being able to be really active due to really bad asthma, not learning really good food shopping habits, financial situations, stress, an eating disorder, there are a few contributing factors.

Now, I'm working on a lot of self love, eating better, and exercising more.
  • ital13
    ital13 Posts: 5
    Options
    Overeating from getting married and at the same time my parents getting divorced after 30 years. Income issues and stress at work.
    I over came all the above and finally have decided to put my health as a priority and not just an after thought.
  • bethanyo13
    Options
    I have two big problems. Number one....Food! I like it all! I've never been a picky eater and have been taught to eat what's put in front of me. The only problem is that I eat EVERYTHING that is put in front of me. I am a sister to five brothers who all eat like pigs as most growing boys do. They're always eating what I don't, yet I'm the only one of us who struggles with weight! My second problem is that I can let others convince me that I don't need to lose weight, and it discourages my willpower. I don't want to be super skinny, but I do want to look healthy and slim. To do this, I need to lose a good twenty pounds. I'm still pretty young, 22 years old, so its now or never! My Fitness Pal is great, but I have got to stick with it!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than I burned. Now I'm eating less calories than I burn.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Too many indulgences and 'no' accountability.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Depression.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    convenience of junk slash fast food and lazyness
    working out n will power
  • zoielouise
    zoielouise Posts: 21
    Options
    Having a baby. While I was always on my feet looking after my daughter, I was constantly eating kebabs and McDonald's and KFC ect eventually the weight crept on and before I knew it I'd gained 77lbs.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    (reason) indulgence, and not taking an interest in what i ate,
    just used to snack a ridiculous amount

(solution) taking accountability and doing the opposite of the above
    and also working out a bit
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and ate ALL the ginger biscuits. The I got pregnant (6mths later) and ate ALL THE FOOD. And I got fat (shocker, I know)

I lost the pregnancy weight last year and I am now back to loose the quit smoking weight. I am doing it by eating right and picking up heavy stuff.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Injured hip + lots and lots of Starbucks.

I've cut back to 2 cups of coffee a day, at most and got a referral to PT for my hip. I went from not being able to stand for more than 2 minutes without pain to walking 7 miles yesterday :)