"You're really pretty, but...

Options

Replies

• chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you think women in the Asian & African societies that glorify big women get as offended when someone tells them they could gain a few pounds?

Interesting thought....

Then again it's a bit more serious for women in that situation. In those societies it's near-impossible for thin women to get a husband, thus becoming shunned & hurting the family name
  • yuko120
    yuko120 Posts: 36
    Options
    Wow...your post brought back so many memories. The most memorable one that still haunts me to this day was when I was in my early teens, and the guy I liked (a lot) told me he really really liked me, but it's a shame I was fat. He told me I was so pretty and had a great personality, but he can't date me unless I become thinner. He broke my heart and made me feel so bad about myself. People don't understand how much comments like that affect people. I still truly believe beauty lies within, and though it's important for us to be healthy, what's on the outside should not define who we are. You are beautiful just the way you are. Lose weight for your health #1, and anything that comes after that is just a bonus!:wink:
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least they are telling you that you'd be pretty or that you are pretty now. I wasn't pretty before I lost weight and now that I've lost weight, that hasn't changed. Why are people dying to be pretty all the time? If you had it once or you can have it...I would think one should be grateful because some people can't be pretty with or without weight loss.
  • AdriSaysRelax
    Options
    THIS ONE IS GONNA BE LONG, FOLKS.
    I'm all *hot and bothered*.
    Personally, I'll take a compliment where I can get it, and return one as quickly. Doesn't mean I don't have A HELLUVA lot to say on the subject.

I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but I think most of you here are twisting what was meant to be a compliment (and possibly motivation) into an insult because of your own insecurities. "You are pretty now, but once you lose a few pounds you will be smokin'!!" is a good thing in my eyes. Much better than "You are pretty now, so do not bother losing weight because it will not improve you in the least." is a slap in the face.

It is your unhappiness with yourself that is making you take it in a negative light, because you believe in your heart that it is true.

I call bullsh*t. Body image, especially for American females, is a tremendously complicated issue and the oversimplification going on here, while not unexpected, is sorta sh*tty. (I'm not attacking you, Whierd, because I understand where you're coming from. Just think you're super duper wrong.) Accepting a compliment gracefully is as much a learned social skill as is presenting yourself as a competent professional. Accepting a back-handed or tactless compliment gracefully takes additional skill points, regardless of your level of personal security.

You know what I believe? Comments like these, along with the desire to conform to societal beauty norms that's brought many of the offended to MFP (self-included), stem from pervasive and deep rooted misogynistic messages that are taken as matter of fact aspects of American life. We lovely ladies internalize these messages and learn to hate ourselves for not being the ideal. Hearing from even the best intention the verbalization of the hate that we face every day adds to an already considerable load. (Whether or not you recognize it or agree with it, studies prove that women are at higher risk for suicide. Women are at higher risk for cutting and other types of self-harm. Women are at higher risk for dangerous elective cosmetic surgeries. All of these acts stem from feelings of compromised self-image, and self-loathing. Google it. )

Consider how female to male transgender individuals report *marked* reduction in the body image shaming and fat shaming that occurred after transition to male gender norms. As in, before transition being told she ought to lose weight to be attractive (as is the focus of this thread) and having fat slurs directed towards her, while once transitioned and at the same weight, no longer receiving the unsolicited *advice*. Pretty much, women are supposed to be kind, quiet, and small while directing most of their resources towards being physically pleasing. It's about power, it's about social standing, it's about the multi-billion dollar beauty industry that survives on that self-loathing. It's odious and it's apparently inescapable, even in a community ostensibly here to support each other.
    Exactly. It's a freaking compliment, and it is based on reality for the majority of people out there, especially the person making the compliment.

For most people the same person at 25 BMI looks prettier than the same person at 35 BMI. I sure prefer the way my husband looks at 20% BF over when he was at 25%. I'll love him if he gained 50 lb instead just the same. His worth has nothing to do with his fat %, but given the choice, I like to feel the abs!

Demanding that people act as if 'fat' is as pretty as 'normal' or 'skinny (not anorexic skinny.. reasonably skinny)' is like demanding that people stop considering asymmetrical features less attractive than symmetrical. We humans just generally consider symmetrical faces prettier. Congrats if yours is symmetrical, regrets if not!

Fact is that 2/3 of America is obese. Given that we're the majority, you'd *think* beauty norms would change. But take a look at my argument above. They haven't. For obvious reasons.

The symmetry points stands, because it is a natural fact (golden ration, y'all). However, using it to bracket the first sentence where fat is relegated to *abnormal*? Doesn't follow. Check out the stat above- 2/3 of America is obese. FAT is *normal*. Then consider the value judgements in the same sentence about just how skinny someone should be. Seriously? Seems the definition of an acceptable body is pretty restrictive. Ever wonder why? Ever consider that it's damaging to carry those definitions, to internalize them?

I'm not saying that obesity accompanied by poor health indicators (like elevated blood pressure, blood sugar, or cholesterol) is ideal, more or less beautiful than any other body type, or a reflection of self love or self-loathing.

What I am saying is that whether someone is obese or not, their body is acceptable. It's theirs. It's not open for judgement. It's not open for discussion. It will not be more worthy if there is less of it, or more of it, if it is symmetrical or asymmetrical.

We should support each other through our personal victories. We should lift each other up through our struggles. We should encourage each other to be as healthy as we can be, to live long and happy lives.

Body shaming doesn't belong here. (And a lot of the replies to this topic have been FULL of it.)

(Shoot son, that got away from me. RAAAGE AGAINST THE MAAAACHINNNE.)
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It is a hurtful way of saying Oh you're not as good as you should/could be and what does matter?? What I look like on the outside or what I have to offer that comes from the inside??? Beauty fades and and let me me tell ya I dont care how fine *kitten* ya may work and get some day that *kitten* WILL sag!! LOL laws of gravity unless ya got the money for all the plastic surgery to hold off the ravages of time!!

Don't judge a book by it's cover or a person by the way they look, dress or what they weigh!! Has always been my motto!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I will back up my point with: You are all here. :wink:
  • AdriSaysRelax
    Options

...which pretty much backs up everything I said about the jacked up beauty standards that would lead someone to be here, AND to be less than happy at a tactless compliment. :tongue:
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

...which pretty much backs up everything I said about the jacked up beauty standards that would lead someone to be here, AND to be less than happy at a tactless compliment. :tongue:

Hey hey hey, my lack of tact is not my problem. :tongue:
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think the first issue is just having the grace to understand that most ppl are not trying to be *kitten*. It is sort of funny to see the people on here that say things like, "what they really mean is..." and "you know they are thinking..." NO! You do not know what they really mean or what they are thinking (sans a partner or close friend where you may have a shot of knowing).

The truth is, this is how you took it. You are assuming that you know what they mean, when really it is how you interpreted their comment. At the end of the day, we all want to partner with the most suitable companions (and not just sexually). It is true. Let's take weight out of it. For the average person do you want to be around an able-bodied person or wheelchair-bound? Disfigured or unblemished? Stutter or fluent-speaker? If we are being honest, we choose the most "normal" of those characteristics. I am not saying we don't give those other people chances, but it is not the first instinct. Also, if the person was, say, disfigured and an *kitten* - definitely not hanging out with them again!

Finally, first impressions are HUGE. When you meet someone in the first 10 minutes, the main thing you may be able to judge them are...wait for it...face/smile/eyes, body, and maybe humor. No one has time, yet, to know how amazing you are. Amazing how most ppl on here got compliments for the things that acquaintances or strangers had time to assess. You mean to tell me, the guy at the club didn't know you take underprivileged kids from the ghetto and teach them to soar?

My point...as the fat dude that has been a really great friend to many, many women (although many ladies still wanted a bite of the Chocolate Chunk) is that ppl generally are not trying to be mean. They are trying to motivate. They really think that you have beautiful eyes, and smiles, and are funny. They really think you are pretty...they also really want to congratulate you on the weight loss. We should assume we know what they mean, because just like "they don't know you" you don't know them. If no one in their family has battled weight issues, maybe they don't know the exact way to express their pride in you. Just take what you can from the compliment and use the rest to fuel.

That all being said...beautiful women on this post at all sizes!
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    I like your post Bornofthorns.

My 2c... if we honestly all believed that we were "beautiful" at any size then why are we all trying so hard to get freakin' well slimmer?!

Fact is that fit and healthy bodies are more aesthetically pleasing to look at than fat ones - I knew that when I was fat and I know it now. It don't matter a damn how pretty or ugly your face is.
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    honestly, my ex hubby has gone as far as to call me a "fat B!tch" iin the past....and my reply would be "i can change fat but unfortunately YOU cant change stupid" needless to say i haven't heard those sorts of things from him lately INFACT Last time i saw him to drop off the kids for the day he complimented me on how solid my calves were looking.......Hmm
  • megsagogo
    megsagogo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's rude...but people don't think before they speak.
    Having gone through this post, I can relate with what so many people have said. It's so sad that we harp on the negative things that we've heard in life and not on the positive.

If anyone is looking for a new friend, I just restarted my weight loss efforts and would love some buddies :)
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    honestly, my ex hubby has gone as far as to call me a "fat B!tch" iin the past....and my reply would be "i can change fat but unfortunately YOU cant change stupid" needless to say i haven't heard those sorts of things from him lately INFACT Last time i saw him to drop off the kids for the day he complimented me on how solid my calves were looking.......Hmm

Im glad hes your ex, that was awful of him to say to you!!!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say to that is "Well, it's a good thing for me that I'm not concerned with what you think about how I look."
  • olyabe
    olyabe Posts: 36
    Options

What I am saying is that whether someone is obese or not, their body is acceptable. It's theirs. It's not open for judgement. It's not open for discussion. It will not be more worthy if there is less of it, or more of it, if it is symmetrical or asymmetrical.

Body shaming doesn't belong here. (And a lot of the replies to this topic have been FULL of it.)

Hey, don't get me wrong - I never said that anyone's body is not acceptable. In fact, I'm a big believer that step number 1 is to accept and like yourself and your own body, whichever size, symmetry level or other physical condition you got. Can a woman be very pretty while overweight? Absolutely! Will she likely be viewed as prettier if she got closer to normal BMI range? I bet! At least the modern ideal of beauty it's pointing us into the healthy direction most of the time!

It's not body shaming, it's just accepting the reality that people with near normal BMI are typically perceived as better looking. Just like people with symmetrical features. Or people with straight white teeth. (That's becoming less and less of a differentiator as the orthodontic technology moves forward). It does not diminish anyone's value as an individual, but it objectively affects perception and first impressions.

I agree that with 2/3 of the country being overweight, you'd think the standards would be different.

Curiously, if you look at Ming Dynasty beauty ideals, while most of the population was quite skinny from hard labor, the "famous beautiful women" of that era depicted in sculpture pack at least extra 50 lb by our modern standards. Similar story with renaissance portraits - I promise you an average female had a pretty different, much more muscular body shape with a lot less softness and glow. Remember the 'beautiful' foot binding in China? Not feasible for most women except most wealthy... And the modern supermodel who is not only skinny, but also nearly 6 ft tall - what % of the population fits that mold?...

Maybe it is just normal for cultural body ideals to be just that - something that is relatively rare and not easily attainable for the majority?
  • SiriusStar33
    Options
    Had a woman tell me just today: "you're too pretty to be hefty" I was like "what the h*ll lady!!" I don't know you, you have no idea what I'm going thru, what I've been thru and why I've gained so much weight. How dare you be so smug as to declare that I'm not beautiful just the way I am!!!.... am I the size I would like no BUT I'm working on it and I'm not going to let my weight define how pretty I feel. Of course...... I didn't have the nerver to say this to her.... I just stood there sheepishly trying not to well up and nodded me head while she rambled on her weight loss advice. Why do people have it engrained in their little minds that you have to be skin and bones to be beautiful????? I just want to be healthier and to start good habits.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't think that weight=beauty, so these comments always make me mad.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side...you're pretty! Even if you don't lose weight, you will still be pretty. Losing weight will just make you pretty...and fit. :flowerforyou:
    Unlike those of us who lose weight and are just...fit. :ohwell: :tongue:
  • Jensenwellington
    Jensenwellington Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Even though the cliches seldom work and maybe just show how insecure some are (including me) I like this saying, albeit a bit angry and negative:

You are fat!
    I: "Well yeah, but I am working on it and can lose that weight, you will always be ugly on the inside, try losing that!"

I would have used that saying years back when I was at my heaviest and a lot more insecure. Really, coming out on the other side (after losing weight) puts things in perspective, even though I am proud of what I have done, there are so many other things more important in life :happy: