Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nope. Hydrogenation doesn't imply full hydrogenation.

Ask a chemist.

this is where the troll label comes in. you split hairs to an absurd extent.
    This is not the definition of a troll.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I know I need two tablespoons and
    you can use nut butter but since peanuts are not nuts...

How are peanuts NOT nuts???

They are not a true nut because they are part of the legume family.
    Interestingly, peanuts have more protein per 100g than the 'true' nuts. I think for peanuts...25g per 100g. For almonds it's 21g, walnuts 15g, for macadamias you only get 8g.
    I've found very few nuts or legumes with higher protein ratios...maybe lentils.
    For someone who isn't much of a meat eater this is really important :)
  • today2
    today2 Posts: 4
    Options
    I spread 2 tablespoons of Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter on crisp celery for a quick snack. It is really filling.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Interestingly, peanuts have more protein per 100g than the 'true' nuts. I think for peanuts...25g per 100g. For almonds it's 21g, walnuts 15g, for macadamias you only get 8g.

Dry roasted edamame has 14 g protein per 30 g, or 46.6 g per 100 g.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options

Dry roasted edamame has 14 g protein per 30 g, or 46.6 g per 100 g.
    Yeah dry roasted edamame is pretty good. How could I forget!!! Any other suggestions for non-meat foods with high protein counts would be welcome!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is one of those things I could take or leave. It does nothing for me.

All fats in moderation are healthy. The body needs Omega-3, Omega-6, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. The only thing it doesn't need is trans-fats or partially hydrogenated fats (like hydrogenated soybean oil or shortening).

It's all about balance.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's original question, peanut butter is mostly 'good fat' with some saturated fat, but I think you should be careful about just adding 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to your diet, because it is quite calorific and really your total fat intake should come from a variety of different sources.

Do you know how much fat you are already eating? Do you know how much is saturated or not? It's probably a good idea to find this out before just eating peanut butter because you might not need it or you might not need as much as you think you do.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter and prefer crunchy Jiff over the organic stuff that costs twice as much and tastes like muck.

In my opinion, there is way too much emphasis here on organic and other "special" food. I can't say this enough but it is food and not a religion. Eat what you like, just learn to do so in moderation and get your macros right.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Makes me laugh people ignore jonnythan when he's usually the one stating fact and not some pseudo version of it to suit themselves. 2% won't do jack. I'll continue to eat my 62p per 340g (and so £1.80 per kg) PB rather than jacked up £6 1kg for 2% more PB or palm oil like the Merida stuff.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter and prefer crunchy Jiff over the organic stuff that costs twice as much and tastes like muck.

In my opinion, there is way too much emphasis here on organic and other "special" food. I can't say this enough but it is food and not a religion. Eat what you like, just learn to do so in moderation and get your macros right.
    Skippy Natural is the best-tasting PB I have ever tried.

It has added sugar, but I think it's 4 grams per serving or something. Not exactly tons of sugar. I eat it daily. So far, healthy and alive. But maybe if I ate PB with only peanuts, I wouldn't have broken my wrist ...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    jonnythan = troll

/ignore

This is beyond disrespectful and one of several reasons I'm quickly losing respect for the clean eating crowd on MFP. Hijacking success stories of IIFYM eaters is another. Someone refuting your beliefs with science doesn't make them a troll. Food =/= religion.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Recommendations

Peanut butter can be part of a heart-healthy diet since it provides mainly healthy fats. However peanut butter is high in calories and should be consumed in moderation to help prevent overweight and obesity. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010 encourages adults to limit overall fat consumption to 20 to 35 percent of their total daily calorie intake, and limit saturated fat intake to less than 10 percent of their daily calories. For a 2,000-calorie diet, this means consuming between 44 and 78 g of total fat and less than 23 g of saturated fat.

FRom LIVE STRONG.com
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

I think "no bueno is a fair term to use & hydrogenated is a scary word.

Per Mayo Clinic

"Scientists aren't sure exactly why, but the addition of hydrogen to oil increases your cholesterol more than do other types of fats. It's thought that adding hydrogen to oil makes the oil more difficult to digest, and your body recognizes trans fats as saturated fats."

"in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits. "

"if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. "

"tropical oils — coconut, palm kernel and palm oils — contain a lot of saturated fat. Saturated fat raises your LDL cholesterol. "

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

It's not a good thing to eat something we arent sure just what it is or how it's been manipulated.

Im think sticking to basic foods with less ingredients is a good habit to adopt.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

Per Mayo Clinic

"Scientists aren't sure exactly why, but the addition of hydrogen to oil increases your cholesterol more than do other types of fats. It's thought that adding hydrogen to oil makes the oil more difficult to digest, and your body recognizes trans fats as saturated fats."

"in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits. "

"if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. "

"tropical oils — coconut, palm kernel and palm oils — contain a lot of saturated fat. Saturated fat raises your LDL cholesterol. "

It's not a good thing to eat something we arent sure just what it is or how it's been manipulated.

Im think sticking to basic foods with less ingredients is a good habit to adopt.

I'm curious. Why did you cut out the paragraph in the Mayo Clinic article that states that "fully hydrogenated" oils (such as listed in the above ingredients) does not contain trans fatty acids?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

Per Mayo Clinic

Again, fully hydrogenated oils contain zero trans fat. If they contained trans fat, they wouldn't be fully hydrogenated.

We agree trans fat is bad. The article you linked to is about trans fat. Fully hydrogenated oils have no trans fat.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

Per Mayo Clinic

I'm curious. Why did you cut out the paragraph in the Mayo Clinic article that states that "fully hydrogenated" oils (such as listed in the above ingredients) does not contain trans fatty acids?

Stop trying split hairs. You should focus on the article I posted and draw your own conclusions. What I chose to cut or include has nothing to do with the facts that I did post.

My conclusion is that hydrogenated oil in either form is a bad thing; but you eat all of it you want.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

Per Mayo Clinic

Again, fully hydrogenated oils contain zero trans fat. If they contained trans fat, they wouldn't be fully hydrogenated.

We agree trans fat is bad. The article you linked to is about trans fat. Fully hydrogenated oils have no trans fat.

Take it up with the Mayo Clinic.

""if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. " "
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

""if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. " "

The label doesn't say just hydrogenated. It says fully hydrogenated. That's the distinction the article makes. Did you even read it?

"It sounds counterintuitive, but "fully" or "completely" hydrogenated oil doesn't contain trans fat. Unlike partially hydrogenated oil, the process used to make fully or completely hydrogenated oil doesn't result in trans-fatty acids. However, if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat."
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

The label doesn't say just hydrogenated. It says fully hydrogenated. That's the distinction the article makes. Did you even read it?

"It sounds counterintuitive, but "fully" or "completely" hydrogenated oil doesn't contain trans fat. Unlike partially hydrogenated oil, the process used to make fully or completely hydrogenated oil doesn't result in trans-fatty acids. However, if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat."

"What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word." Do even realize what you wrote??

Im done here. Later tater.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I became addicted to the honey roasted fresh ground PB from Whole Foods, yum!

Also, making nut butter is super simple, for any of you that have a food processor at home. if you process them enough, the oil in the nuts are "released" (sorry don't know best way to put it) and turns them into nut butter and you can control whatever is in them :)

I have made almond butter with a little cinnamon added, if you like it sweeter add some form of sugar, options are endless and it is fresh ground and you don't have to worry about what is in it because you made it yourself :)

Just a thought, and most times a lot cheaper than buying it in the store. I know some nuts are a bit pricier than others, but I find it is a cheaper alternative for those looking to save a bit of cash :)