How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    @nighterror21 myself and some friends are doin the colour run on july 14th in ireland... i cant wait..... dont no how i will be able to keep the giggles to a minimum though...
    just done week 5 day 3............ always longed to run but thought i couldnt until i got into this c25k ........... myself and my friends run past many walkers on our route and the amount of people that say "fair play to ye girls" "keep it up" is amazing. ... i so cant wait to be able to run without the walkin part :-D

That is lovely! I get lots of smiles and waves from people walking, cycling and driving by - and I don't even know all of them. :-D
  • missjaneypie
    missjaneypie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes beattie 1 your right its lovley..... i used to always look at people running and never say it to them but i was so envious... but to hear people say it to us it fab as it spurs us all on... so im resting the weekend and ready for week 6 day 1 on monday :-D
  • ashori602
    ashori602 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25k on the treadmill and was wondering that if im on the treadmill how fast should I be going? Im doing 4mph right now but thats more of a 'jog' and not really a 'run'. Should I slowly increase the speed each week? Or go back a few weeks in the program and start running at 6mph? Any advice would be appreciated ^_^
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25k on the treadmill and was wondering that if im on the treadmill how fast should I be going? Im doing 4mph right now but thats more of a 'jog' and not really a 'run'. Should I slowly increase the speed each week? Or go back a few weeks in the program and start running at 6mph? Any advice would be appreciated ^_^
    Do it at whatever speed works for you. Some people can do 6mph, some do 3. Your pace will increase as you go and get stronger anyway. Personally, I think it's better to do it outside so your body can set the pace and increase it naturally, but if you do a treadmill, just do whatever works for you.
  • beattie1
    Options
    I did W5D1 today. ALL of the second 5 minute run was uphill, but I managed to keep going and ended the session feeling confident about the next one. Finished with a 30 minute walk home as I'd intentionally arranged the session to finish at the paper shop to save another trip out to pick up today's newspaper.
  • SuziJones1982
    SuziJones1982 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 4 session 3 and am absolutely loving the programme. I'm hoping that I continue to enjoy it as the breaks become less frequent though. Not sure how I'm feeling about week 5 session 3 which is hopefully next Sunday.
  • SavingSarah41
    SavingSarah41 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started the app today. Can I still join you all? It was not easy for me. I started out and on my 4th jog I pulled something so I ended up walking the rest. But I am going to keep trying and build myself up. I have not physically ran in about 25 years because of my size but I really want to have a goal that inspires me and doing a 5k does just that.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I just got in from doing week 1 day 2. I'm nervous about running at my weight, but so far so good. Of course it's only 8 minutes of running at this point, but I'll stick with it and see how it goes.
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    I have been doing C25k , just finished week 6 on Thursday and then did my first 5k ever on Saturday(color me RAD) not timed so no issue there my goal was to finish, have fun and not be last......I am not fast but did finish and wasnt LAST! I love the program, but using my own music(sometimes a struggle with the timing) until someone posted about the free downloads on Itunes.....found them and have started using them. The music is ok but love the narrative voice feature-its so much easier. :bigsmile:
  • beattie1
    Options
    I just started the app today. Can I still join you all? It was not easy for me. I started out and on my 4th jog I pulled something so I ended up walking the rest. But I am going to keep trying and build myself up. I have not physically ran in about 25 years because of my size but I really want to have a goal that inspires me and doing a 5k does just that.

I hope whatever you pulled is OK for your next jog - maybe have 2 or more days rest if needed? You could do some brisk walking to keep the fitness up if you're not quite ready to run again on Tuesday.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here. I've been doing c25k for about a month now (started on May 23rd) and I'm only in week 2 (and I'll be doing week two again next week) but my goal is to keep at it, and if it takes me a year to go through a "nine week" program, so be it. I'm registered for a 5k on 9/15 and even if I have to walk some of it I will be very excited to do it.
  • 5000thAngel
    5000thAngel Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing c25k specifically, but doing a similar program that is structured like it but spread out over 12 weeks instead. I've been at it for probably 6 weeks, but am only on week 4, and will be on week 4 for another week or two (week 4 is run 1.5 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes) until my lungs strengthen. I could definitely use support, so if no one minds, I'd love to join the thread. :)
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm right in the beginning of Week 1 so I'll just jump in....

I'm recovering from plantar fasciitis which I have been healing for about 6 months now...I feel like I am on the tail end of it and should be good to go.

I am going to aim for 3 to 4 times a week and mix with some yoga, pole dancing and yoga as well
  • aimeekrn
    aimeekrn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Just wanted to remind everyone to please take your rest days! And be careful about how fast you are adding milage each week. Im on week 8 and decided to be invincible yesterday (after having done a 45 minute run on Friday) and I hurt myself after about 4 miles. I did the workout for week 8 day 2 then decided during the cool down that I wanted to do it again. About 14 minutes into the second round hurt my knee. So now its into the pool for a couple days. Blah.

Hope everyone is being careful and feeling great becoming runners!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I've never tried to run on a treadmill. I did C25K outside and continue to run outside. I tink you should set the pace at whatever feels comfortable. I know a few people who "run" at a pace slower than I walk - and a few who "walk" at a really really fast pace! I don't think there is a "right" speed. Be sure you are not going at such a fast pace you have nothing left to give at the end! I know I tend to speed up and slow down a lot during my runs. Not sure I would be able to maintain a steady pace the whole time without getting very exhausted!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I finally got back to my running after four days off due to work (had to cover events four days in a row, although thankfully they involved a lot of walking). It felt sooooo good, and I finally made 5K in under 50 minutes! It was barely, and I know that's still slow, but it felt so good.

Today should be a rest day, but I can't run tomorrow because I have another event to cover, so I'm going to run again tonight. It will be the first time I've done two days in a row, but between my goofy schedule and needing to burn off some extra calories today, I'm going to give it a try.
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Dis W3D2 this morning. Had a little knee pain, but it got better the further I went. Guess it was just stiff at 6 am!
  • beattie1
    Options
    I was going to do W5D2 today, but I have a sore knee too, so I'm deferring it until tomorrow, probably!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Tomorrow arrived and I DID do W5D2 today. I wasn't knackered after the first 8 minute run - could have kept on going, but did the 5 minute walk in the middle - uphill all the way. Then did the second 8 minute run with a long uphill section at the start. The bonus was the level top of the hill and the long descent down the other side. I was still going well when the time was up, so kept running for a few more minutes. After a walk I ran for a few "bonus" minutes as I was still some way from home.

I reckon I'll be able to do the 20 minute run when I do W5D3 in a couple of days. If I can't I'll just stay on it till I can! My knee is a bit sore now, but I expect it will improve.
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have completed W5d2... Gearing up for the big 20 min run on day 3... Not sure if I will get to do it tomorrow or Friday. (The weather forecast for tomorrow is questionable...)