How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Help me! I am stuck on week 4.

I have tried three times and I can not complete week 4. My mind and body give up every time with 2:30 left in the last run. Same place every time (I always finish it out walking...but not running). I don't want to give up, but I feel like I need something to get me over this hump. I don't want to move on to week 5 until I am confident I can do week 4.

Anyone else get stuck?
    I got stuck before, and I'm the same way where I don't want to move on until I feel "comfortable" with the week I'm on. I don't know what kind of pace you do, but maybe try slowing down on the first 2 running intervals so that you can keep up the pace on the last one.

One thing I do when I get to the point that I feel like I have to stop running is pick a spot ahead of me (fairly close sometimes when I'm getting really tired), and I tell myself, "Okay. when I make it to that tree/crack in the sidewalk/post/whatever, I'll walk," but then when I get there, I do the same thing and pick another spot. Then I just keep myself going.

I'm finishing week 4 this weekend, and now that the running times are longer, I can estimate how many songs I'll get through on Pandora before walking so I try to think, "Okay, well I only have to get to the end of the next song. I can do that." That kind of distracts me from the running because I start to just listen to the music and let my feet go.

Hope that helps!
  • crista_b
    Options
    ME! ME! I am too! Almost done with week 5! :bigsmile: . Adding some intervals now too. Its been awesome! We should all be proud of ourselves no matter where we are stuck or how fast we are breezing through it. My daughter (15) and I have agreed to do the RunDisney Tinkerbell 5K in January. Does everyone have an event they are working toward?
    I hope to do a 5K in 2013, and I'm working towards doing the Disney Princess Half Marathon before I turn 30 (so I have until the 2017 half to get it done).
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    I am starting this evening. I was supposed to start a few days ago but the weather hasn't been that great here.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a combo of the runkeeper app and the c25k program. I'm on workout 7 or 28 (so like week 2-ish). I walked/ran a 5k last week and I felt pretty good afterward. My only issue is my plantar ficitis acts up from time to time so my feet ache something terrible for awhile after each run which makes me a bit nervous. But I'm training for the Susan G Komen race for the cure this fall. Right now I'm only training for the 5k but since it's so far away I may do the 10k. But I want to see where I'm at in mid-late July before I make that decision.
  • crista_b
    Options
    I've been doing a combo of the runkeeper app and the c25k program. I'm on workout 7 or 28 (so like week 2-ish). I walked/ran a 5k last week and I felt pretty good afterward. My only issue is my plantar ficitis acts up from time to time so my feet ache something terrible for awhile after each run which makes me a bit nervous. But I'm training for the Susan G Komen race for the cure this fall. Right now I'm only training for the 5k but since it's so far away I may do the 10k. But I want to see where I'm at in mid-late July before I make that decision.
    Have you gone to a running store to get fitted for shoes? That might help. If you do that, make sure you tell them that you deal with plantar fasciitis too. They can probably recommend good shoes and/or inserts to help.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am in week 3 of the C25K app by Zen Labs. I am really enjoying it so far. :)
  • MrsKato1021
    MrsKato1021 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hello! I'm finishing up week 2..C25K from zen labs, really like it...although since I started I have gained 3lbs, I'm hoping this is just water gain from my muscles getting stronger. I can def feel that my calfs are getting stronger.. Hoping to do a 5k end of july begining of august. :smooched: :smooched:
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a running store to get fitted for shoes? That might help. If you do that, make sure you tell them that you deal with plantar fasciitis too. They can probably recommend good shoes and/or inserts to help.

I have but the challenge is I need shoes that have a lot of support but are cushy as well. So I have good shoes but I think the shoes I have may need some extra support. Blah to foot issues!
  • crista_b
    Options

I have but the challenge is I need shoes that have a lot of support but are cushy as well. So I have good shoes but I think the shoes I have may need some extra support. Blah to foot issues!
    My mom has problems with p.f. sometimes too. If your shoes are good, maybe some inserts that are specifically for plantar fasciitis will help?
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The rain finally stopped but now the infamous summer FL heat is here. I did my whole 5K but it took me 49 minutes. I just didn't have anything left for a rally at the end. A treadmill is tempting, but if I have to do my runs in the heat I figured I'd better train in it too.

I signed up for the Christmas Story House 5K on Dec. 7 as they have a virtual option where you can run in your own location. That's one medal I'll treasure (it's a leg lamp, of course).
  • crista_b
    Options
    I signed up for the Christmas Story House 5K on Dec. 7 as they have a virtual option where you can run in your own location. That's one medal I'll treasure (it's a leg lamp, of course).
    Awesome!!! I totally have to sign up for that one! :laugh:
  • aimeekrn
    aimeekrn Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I looked that up online and I would love to do that but I think Id be doing it alone! Of course I would have to wear the bunny suit, not sure how that would go over.... a lone runner in a bunny suit. My neighbors would think I was a creeper. Are you doing it with a group or by yourself?
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Probably by myself. My husband says I have to at least wear the bib. Of course, even if I ran in a bunny suit, my friends all know how much I love that movie so it probably wouldn't phase them.

I'm starting week 7, still modifying to shorter intervals and doing a whole 5k. The 90 degree heat is killer. Couldn't make it faster than 50 mins. today. Running in the fall and winter will feel like paradise.

I looked that up online and I would love to do that but I think Id be doing it alone! Of course I would have to wear the bunny suit, not sure how that would go over.... a lone runner in a bunny suit. My neighbors would think I was a creeper. Are you doing it with a group or by yourself?
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Starting week 5 tomorrow. I am thinking it may be easier than Week 4 since there is a three minute break. I want to at least fool myself into thinking that. The last day definitly has me concerned. My husband said he thinks we will get caught up on the twenty minute run and hopefully we can finish before we go on vacation in August. He thought 20 minutes was the end of the program, he did not realize it was Friday for us! I am hoping we can get through it, but kind of prepared to repeat a few times. Good luck this week everyone!
  • carolmonson
    carolmonson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have just restarted today. Hubby bought me a treadmill today so there is no more excusses and nothing to stop me.

:happy:
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just did W7D1 yesterday. I've noticed, that I can run the 25 minutes (yay!), but it isn't 2.5 miles. I ended up doing a little less than 2 1/4 miles in the 25 minute time. Any thoughts on increasing distance/speed without wearing myself out or injuring myself?
  • crista_b
    Options
    I just did W7D1 yesterday. I've noticed, that I can run the 25 minutes (yay!), but it isn't 2.5 miles. I ended up doing a little less than 2 1/4 miles in the 25 minute time. Any thoughts on increasing distance/speed without wearing myself out or injuring myself?
    Just focus on endurance for now. Pacing will come later. Or if you're tracking distance while going, you can try to focus on doing the 2.5 miles and keep going until it's complete, even if the app says to be on the cool down.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Good advice there to just keep going. I've started doing a full 5K in each session, no matter how long it takes, while slowly but surely working on getting the speed up.
    Just focus on endurance for now. Pacing will come later. Or if you're tracking distance while going, you can try to focus on doing the 2.5 miles and keep going until it's complete, even if the app says to be on the cool down.
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    I'm on week 2, day 1 (finished it this morning) I handled the increase okay, but I'm used to running on the treadmill. I was short on time this morning, so I ran in my neighborhood instead. It was an adjustment when accounting for terrain and hills. I still made it though!

I'm really interested in the Zombies, Run! app. I started doing this training a) to mix up my routine, and b) desire to run a zombie 5k obstacle in the fall.
  • butreally12
    butreally12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I finished the program a few weeks ago, and I am SO happy with the results! I went from not being able to run for 30 seconds (After that first week, I truly thought I had died) to being able to run an entire 5k! I still can't run much past 30 minutes without having to stop, but that's still a HUGE improvement! I have a real 5k race scheduled for Saturday so we'll see how that goes, but right now my best 5k time on my own is 27:40. Woooo!