Look what fast food & ice cream have done to my cholesterol

Options

Replies

• nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    iifym-if-it-fits-your-macros_design.png

ETA: Please excuse the cursing but its the only word that really works :)
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress! Thank for sharing and continuing the fight for people to use logic and critical thinking skills! =)
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look amazing! I'm another one who won't give up all "bad" foods. It's taken me years to lose the weight that I gained from meds, but I know I'll be able to maintain and continue to improve moreso than had I lost it faster with a really restrictive diet.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I also won't give up my "bad" food. I LOVE me some ice cream!
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about what works for you. I personally am incapable of controlling myself around fast food and ice cream, and eating a little bit leads to bingeing. My body also doesn't react well to those kinds of food; my skin breaks out, I sometimes feel physically ill, and I don't have enough energy or strength for my morning workouts after eating food like that. Clean eating really is necessary for some of us! :)

However, I figured that out for myself with trial and error, and I still like to indulge in the things I can manage in moderation (homemade pie...mmm....). It's completely individual, and more power to you for realizing that you didn't need to limit the food you eat to get results that make you happy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your health improvement. Very nice! But your subject line would be more accurate as "Look what I've been able to prevent fast food & ice cream from doing to my cholesterol"
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about what works for you. I personally am incapable of controlling myself around fast food and ice cream, and eating a little bit leads to bingeing. My body also doesn't react well to those kinds of food; my skin breaks out, I sometimes feel physically ill, and I don't have enough energy or strength for my morning workouts after eating food like that. Clean eating really is necessary for some of us! :)

However, I figured that out for myself with trial and error, and I still like to indulge in the things I can manage in moderation (homemade pie...mmm....). It's completely individual, and more power to you for realizing that you didn't need to limit the food you eat to get results that make you happy!

^^^ This for me, too. I can't control myself with sweets and junk food, my skin breaks out, and I feel bad. I feel a thousand times better when I don't eat it (sad for me, because I'm a junk food Queen of the first magnitude and love that stuff).

Good for the OP for figuring out what works for you. Congrats for your numbers.

Here's an interesting article about cholesterol (there are other articles on the same topic). It points out that the size of the cholesterol pieces have a lot to do with the damage it causes in your body. Larger pieces pass through, smaller pieces don't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/15/us/living-longer-and-larger-it-s-in-the-size-of-cholesterol-carrying-molecules.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your health improvement. Very nice! But your subject line would be more accurate as "Look what I've been able to prevent fast food & ice cream from doing to my cholesterol"

That's a BS title that implies fast food and ice cream have some sort of causative effect on cholesterol that other food would not. That's false.

The real story here is that exercise, calorie control, and macronutrient control are what have lowered my cholesterol. The fact that I eat a lot of fast food instead of "clean" food is completely irrelevant. I didn't get fat in the first place because I ate fast food; I got fat because I ate too much food. My cholesterol was bad because I was fat and didn't exercise. My cholesterol is now good because I have low body fat and exercise.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    it is about what works for you. Your post is just as bad as clean eaters criticizing junk food eaters. I could not eat like that and have the same results period. I had one weekend of junk food eating while still exercising, and my PT session Monday was still harder than any I had while simple eating, and I had no energy all weekend. So, be comfortable and proud of yourself without being snide and smug. What works for you doesn't mean it should be the norm. And what works for me does not mean it should be the norm.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I read this post while enjoying a bowl of triple chocolate peanut butter sundae ice cream. Rock on! I won't give up eating what I like either. I just eat less of it....or at least try to. lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That's a BS title that implies fast food and ice cream have some sort of causative effect on cholesterol that other food would not. That's false.

The real story here is that exercise, calorie control, and macronutrient control are what have lowered my cholesterol. The fact that I eat a lot of fast food instead of "clean" food is completely irrelevant. I didn't get fat in the first place because I ate fast food; I got fat because I ate too much food. My cholesterol was bad because I was fat and didn't exercise. My cholesterol is now good because I have low body fat and exercise.

My change implies nothing about other foods. Your subject implies the fast food and ice cream caused your cholesterol levels to lower. Which is false.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    And so it begins. Where did I put that kettle corn...
  • jonnythan
    Options

My change implies nothing about other foods. Your subject implies the fast food and ice cream caused your cholesterol levels to lower. Which is false.

The thread title is tongue in cheek. The obvious intent of my initial post was that the "cleanliness" of the food doesn't matter. Nutrients, body composition, and exercise are what matter.

Fast food is inherently neither good nor bad.
  • shootergirlnc
    shootergirlnc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow! I also see no "spare tire". You look awesome!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Very nice! I don't eat a lot of fast food & ice cream, but not because I think it's evil or something. Your story definitely shows the power of exercise, especially resistance exercise, in bringing your lipids & BP in line.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    Your subject implies the fast food and ice cream caused your cholesterol levels to lower. Which is false.

This.

From my understanding, there is a huge difference between blood and dietary cholesterol. I'm not an expert in the subject matter but supposedly, "About 85 percent of your blood cholesterol level is endogenous, which means it is produced by your body. The other 15 percent or so comes from an external source -- your diet." This means that your diet may or may not have been a factor in relation to your past and current cholesterol levels.

When it comes to exercise, let us not ignore reports about athletes dying of heart attacks even at a very young age.

My apologies for not being able to reason well but I hope I get the message across: Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good. Just be careful and best of luck on your journey.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think you look DAMN HOT and don't see that tire you refer to! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    it is about what works for you. Your post is just as bad as clean eaters criticizing junk food eaters. I could not eat like that and have the same results period. I had one weekend of junk food eating while still exercising, and my PT session Monday was still harder than any I had while simple eating, and I had no energy all weekend. So, be comfortable and proud of yourself without being snide and smug. What works for you doesn't mean it should be the norm. And what works for me does not mean it should be the norm.

Showing that it can be done another way through your own story does not make you snide or smug. I think he's saying if you find it hard to cut out processed food, sodium, fast food, etc...try moderation. I really don't understand why MFP makes assumptions about how "proud" or "comfortable" you are based on posts like these. I'm not knocking clean eating, however my experience was that trying to do clean eating 100% of the time made me miserable. I was not comfortable or proud and my relationship with food got worse instead of better. I didn't feel any better either. I felt a lot worse because I hadn't dealt with the REAL problem, which was not "dirty" food for me. I'm sure it IS the problem for some people but that wasn't my truth. There's a billion and one people out there preaching that fast food, sodium, processed food, etc makes you fat, unhappy, and unhealthy. It's just a bowl of lies, over consumption is the problem and whether your food is clean or dirty if over consumption is your problem, moderation is the answer. Calling out those lies is not wrong or an attack on clean eaters. It is simply saying you do not need to cut out everything you love to be healthy and feel awesome...which is 100% true.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I really don't understand why MFP makes assumptions about how "proud" or "comfortable" you are based on posts like these.

It's pretty simple. If you have success doing something the way person x does it, you get applause and commendation from person x.

If you have success doing something the way person x thinks is no good, then you get accused of arrogance, preaching, and future health problems from person x.
  • More_Dakka
    More_Dakka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This post probably got the OP marked by The Cult of Clean Eating
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!