Gym Pet PEEVES

Options
1234568»

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The only funny gym story I have is from when I first started going. This guy was doing arm curls with a 20 pound dumbbell,and kept kissing his biceps,and making kissy faces at himself in the mirror. He also kept talking to himself,saying things like "oh yeah get it you sexy beast" ect.. Normally when im at the gym I zone out and am not real aware of whats going on around me,but we were the only people there so it was hard to miss.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    when the A/C is broken. In July. :explode:
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just pay attention to me, and the barbell.

okok i DO imagine who i might like to bite, but that has nothing to do with pet peeves.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ME: thats who i annoy at the gym...

i bet you could start this topic about;

traffic

shopping malls

restaraunts

all the same people would post similar things,

"if you spend time noticing the imperfections of others, then you are only projecting the imperfections of yourself "
  • gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I usually plug in and tune out to get a good focus on my lifting but there are a few things that drive me NUTSO at the gym...

People who fail to use deoderant, it's very offensive!! Ugghhhh
    People who have a conversation in between sets while you are waiting to get on...
    People who lift wayyyy too heavy then grunt so loudly you have to look their way to make sure they didn't drop on the floor.
    People who have no idea how to lift, go in and pick up the light dumbbells do 3 reps and then walk on the treadmill and watch tv.. REALLY??REALLY??

Makes for a good laugh for me I just smile and keep moving... What are you pet peeves or funny gym stories?

This IS my workout!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    people who stare at me with their judgemental eyes when my deadlifting bar hits the ground (well technically the plates, which are not drop plates).
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    LOL! I have to agree...
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.
  • neverquit33
    neverquit33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.

Ouch.. Guess we are not among the "gym elite" yeesh!

hahah! I was thinking the same thing.
  • neverquit33
    Options
    Grunting and dropping weights....is it necessary??? UM...No.

That's a joke, right?

I hope so... or SOMEBODY never lifted to failure.
    I was GROANING this morning as I pushed out my final bench press...God I thought I was going to puke...but I maintained form and pushed through it. But OMG I grunted....GASP :laugh:
    you GO on and GRUNT! cuz it gets you there. :smokin:

groaning and grunting is what I do too during my lifting sessions. how in the hell are you suppose to be silent when you're giving i your all? But then you those are so overly obnoxious with their grunts its ridiculous. They're basically screaming for attention.
  • neverquit33
    Options
    There is always at least one at the gym...There is this lady in my Cardio Blast class who always has to compete with everyone;. If we all have to run to the other side of the room, she treats it like it's a marathon and beats everyone to the finish. It's getting so old, I think she could hear my eyes roll, LOL!!!!!! No need to compete, lady, we are all here for different reasons. If I am on the elliptical, someone has to get on the one right next to me and go harder and faster. You wanna race? You got it, so I go even faster, LOL!!!!!!

haha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who seen these "competitors" when there's no race going on. Anywhere. lol
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve

1016804_595383957159526_1681809034_n.png
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup and my hair is done when I go to the gym, but that is because I come straight from work. However on the weekend, I get up and go to the gym, looking like a completely different person sans makeup and coiffed hair!
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I once worked next to someone on the elliptical who stunk so bad that I could taste his BO. I thought I was going to throw up. Needless to say I moved to another machine but I could still smell him
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Throwing weights down. I dumbbell bench up to 65kg per arm and put them down softly without a noise. I'm sure you can do the same with a 1/4 of the weight, without any hardcore grunting either (sure maybe the last few reps).

I don't want to use dumbbells that are banana shape because you can't respect the gym's property!
  • gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Throwing weights down. I dumbbell bench up to 65kg per arm and put them down softly without a noise. I'm sure you can do the same with a 1/4 of the weight, without any hardcore grunting either (sure maybe the last few reps).

I don't want to use dumbbells that are banana shape because you can't respect the gym's property!

If only everyone was like this!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve

1016804_595383957159526_1681809034_n.png

THIS is HILARIOUS!!!
  • FightingFox
    Options
    haha! My pet peeve are "the competitors." I would do intervals on the elliptical but minute I start going all out for that 30 seconds, suddenly I see "Mr/Mrs Me too" jumping on the elliptical on the side of me pumping so fast to match my pace. Once they realize I'm doing intervals they get off. The same happens when I'm in the weight room. I lift to only tone, no bodybuilder here but for some reason if I'm doing curls, or squats here comes "competitor" pumping 10 x as fast and double the weight right by me. smh LOL!

My other pet peeve was some ppl in my class wouldn't do the entire move. If the body pump instructor tells us to lower slowly down during a curl this person would just let it drop. Or they would do have a squat instead of a whole one. I thought maybe she was injured and was taking it easy but she wasn't. Every class shortcuts with her. I know its her money she's wasting but ugh, so annoying. Do it right, correct form, or don't do it at all. LOL
    ^^I am a BodyPump instructor, and last night one of the participants was using too heavy of weights for side raises; after I cued & demonstrated correct form, I finally had to make eye contact and said go ahead and move down in weight so that you can do the move correctly." Then repeated it.... she looked right at me and shook her head no. ...*sigh*
  • FightingFox
    Options
    for everyone complaining about deodorant is actually REAAALLLYYY bad for your skin when you wear deodorant and sweat an excessive amount, youre not meant to wear deodorant when working out.

^^that's not fair. It's sickening to smell really bad BO, and it affects the whole gym. Clean yourself more often so you don't reek so bad.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    for everyone complaining about deodorant is actually REAAALLLYYY bad for your skin when you wear deodorant and sweat an excessive amount, youre not meant to wear deodorant when working out.
    ^^that's not fair. It's sickening to smell really bad BO, and it affects the whole gym. Clean yourself more often so you don't reek so bad.

Yes, stop your cardio as soon as you notice you might be perspiring, and hit the showers. Wouldn't want to offend.

Maybe that'll teach anyone who doesn't leave that "courtesy machine" separation when the gym's not busy.