USA! USA! (DOMA)

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    A "Supreme" waste of taxpayer money in my opinion.....anyone should be able to get married if they want to make the committment. I'm happy it went the way it did, but doesn't the government have bigger things to concern itself with?

LOL! It just goes to show that you do not understand how huge of an issue this is for millions of people. It's not about the ceremony. It's about legal rights to spousal benefits, immigration, adoption, and a thousand more. There are no "bigger" things than civil rights.
    Maybe I didn't word it right....but my point was that its ridiculous that (in this day and age) such a discriminatory movement actually took up this much time and money being heard by the Supreme Court. I totally get that its a big issue for a whole lot of people (and some those people are friends of mine). What I don't get is why people would go out of their way to support an act like DOMA in the first place. Why should anyone care who anyone else wants to marry?
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    SCOTUS only struck down part of DOMA, but they struck the most important provision that denies federal benefits to same-sex couples. DOMA is still alive, but it's toothless at the federal level. States, on the other hand, are still free to not recognize other states' same-sex marriage.

Considering section 3 of DOMA both infringes on states' right to define marriage AND unjustifiably deprive liberty to people not convicted of a crime, it makes perfect sense that they invalidate it. I'm just a little concerned that it was decided with such a narrow margin.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of political groups. Feel free to join it. My point is, if this were a thread lamenting DOMA being stuck down it would last about 2 minutes before it was removed.

Then feel free to test that theory instead of raining on our rainbow parade.
    First off I want to say I completely disagree with Lone_Wolf. I do think this is something worth celebrating.

That said I think Lone_Wolf and everyone who agrees with him should be allowed to rain on our parade and that we should just learn to dance in the rain.

We are having this conversation in an open chat forum on the internet. This means we should expect that not everyone is going to agree with us and that even those that disagree with us should have the right to post the same as we do.

I say that the best thing to do is to put their comments through logical scrutiny. If they can defend their position with logic then they their position deserves to be heard. If their position does not stand up to logic then it deserves to be publicly destroyed.

I welcome everyone's input because I certainly don't want mine excluded.

I also think that they should be allowed to make a thread lamenting the loss of DOMA's power and they should expect people like me to be in there debating with them.
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great day for the USA - congratulations to all those affected!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of political groups. Feel free to join it. My point is, if this were a thread lamenting DOMA being stuck down it would last about 2 minutes before it was removed.

First off I want to say I completely disagree with Lone_Wolf. I do think this is something worth celebrating.

That said I think Lone_Wolf and everyone who agrees with him should be allowed to rain on our parade and that we should just learn to dance in the rain.

We are having this conversation in an open chat forum on the internet. This means we should expect that not everyone is going to agree with us and that even those that disagree with us should have the right to post the same as we do.

I say that the best thing to do is to put their comments through logical scrutiny. If they can defend their position with logic then they their position deserves to be heard. If their position does not stand up to logic then it deserves to be publicly destroyed.

I also think that they should be allowed to make a thread lamenting the loss of DOMA's power and they should expect people like me to be in there debating with them.

Excuse me sir. All I have said is that this topic doesnt belong here. Thats it.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    WWWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Does this mean Ted Nugent can marry the love of his life, his own penis?

Came in to express my excitement that we're making progress, stayed to laugh my @ss off at this.

Edit for typo
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A beautiful song for a wonderful moment in time

:heart: MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT :heart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0

CONGRATS!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's a great day for humans :flowerforyou:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

My guess is that you are a fan of country music.

Hey! I'm a fan of country music - don't lump us in with the bigots

This for sure.
    I'm a huge fan of alt-country and americana. Lots of us are liberals and care about the poor, and the rights of others.

I have already explained what I mean in this thread but I will post the same response to you as well to make sure nobody walks away thinking I am generalizing about people that are fans of country music.
    =======================================================================================================
    I like country music too. I was not saying that because he is against gay marriage. I was saying that because he is paraphrasing the lyrics to a country long.

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything- It is by Aaron Tippin

When I was a kid it came on the radio every morning so I don't think I will ever forget it.

=======================================================================================================

I recognize that there is a stigma that people that like country music are also conservative bible thumpers but trust me that is not at all what was going through my mind when I wrote what I wrote. He just said something that make me think of that Aaron Tippin song I used to hear every morning when I was a kid.

i got what you meant. i'm a liberal and i listen to country music too.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    I will have to make these tonight to celebrate!

Rainbow-Meringues2_1W.jpg
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I'm lost... someone help me out here?

The supreme court just eliminated DOMA. DOMA is the defense of marriage act which was an act that defined marriage as being between one man and one women. Since there was no secular justification for the claim it was determined that the act was respecting the rules of an established religion which makes it a violation of the first amendment and therefore unconstitutional. Please bare in mind this is a laymen interpretation of the information that I have read and heard in the general media. I am sure the case was a bit more nuanced then that but in a nutshell that is what I have read so far.

I believe it was actually found unconstitutional under the 5th amendment as a deprivation of equal liberty.

The 5th amendment states that you don't have to testify against yourself in court.
    It just occurred to me that you must have meant the 14th amendment. That also sounds like a logical case for its unconstitutionality. It is messed up that an act which violates two constitutional amendments was able to survive as long as it did.

It is also a little embarrassing that it took me as long as it did to realize what you meant to say but I am a bit distracted with other stuff.

No I meant what i said :)

A ruling under the 14th amendment's equal protection would have been much, much better; Kennedy would have never gone for it, though. I really did mean the 5th amendment. Equal liberty is not the same as equal protection.

I completely agree that equal liberty is not the same as equal protection which is why I thought you must have meant the 14th. Still this is an interesting application of the 5th amendment. One of my friends actually said he thought the 5th amendment would bring it down and I said he had to be mistaken. I guess I have to call him up and ask how he managed to predict that.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Yay!

For the record, don't judge all those that aren't happy as being TOTAL ignorant @$$es. I used to be one of them. Why? Because I didn't know any gay people and didn't know how it affected them. It took becoming best friends with someone that couldn't marry the person they loved. Some people that are upset by this may just need to have their eyes opened by someone that's affected, and it hasn't happened yet.

I don't judge them. They are entitled to their own opinion, as we all are. I just assume that this does not affect them or ones they love and care for.
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I got back from my morning walk, and was greeted at the door by my mom, yelling, "We won!" I was still on my endorphin rush, and wasn't sure what she was talking about. My son is gay, and I am so relieved that one day, he may be able to find and be with the love of his life, equally.

I wish every gay child in the country had a parent like you! Good on you!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act
    By Pete Williams and Erin McClam, NBC News
    In a landmark ruling for gay rights, the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law blocking federal recognition of same-sex marriages.
    The decision was 5-4, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy. It said that the law amounted to the “deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment.”
    In a separate case, the court ruled that it could not take up a challenge to Proposition 8, the California law that banned gay marriage in that state. That decision means that gay marriage will once again be legal in California.
    The ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act means that the federal government must recognize the gay marriages deemed legal by the states — 12 plus the District of Columbia, before the California case was decided. The law helps determine who is covered by more than 1,100 federal laws, programs and benefits, including Social Security survivor benefits, immigration rights and family leave.

huh...I can't believe this is still an issue. I was in a same sex wedding party 5 years ago, and the wedding was at the legislature grounds of our provincial government
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Finally! Hopefully all 50 states will have marriage equality, soon!

tumblr_mp07ov4f2U1qzh7bfo1_500.jpg
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This is a very exciting day!!
  • soldier4242
    Options

Ok then perhaps you are not against gay marriage. My bad. I still stand behind what I said in a general sense even if you are not a member of the opposing camp.

I know that MFP might have it's own position with regard to what we are allowed to discuss in the general forums and it is their right to shut down any thread that they see fit. So from the perspective of MFP any topic that can be considered divisive they can shut down.

I think MFP really just cares about maintaining a positive atmosphere within the community. In other words if we can discuss a topic maturely then they are less likely to enforce the rule. Their rules are theirs to enforce in a manner consistent with their own arbitrary whims.

I think we should be less like a bunch of children running and a playground looking for infractions to complain about and more like civilized adults discussing topics in a logical manner and that means that we have to allow everyone to have their say.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

right?
    i have NO idea why you are all of a sudden taking shrapnel in here.

methinks people aint readin.
  • bikeswimrunnergal
    Options

You don't make the rules for MFP. This is a divisice topic and should not be allowed to be up.
This discussion has been closed.