"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

This ^
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just keep looking at the tops and thinking, wow, those may fully cover the twins and even supply a little more support than those tiny little triangles on regular bikinis.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    For me, I do agree.

I was in Cancun recently, rocking my sensible, supportive one-piece swim suits. I felt pretty good about how I looked. I saw a few people in suits that I wouldn't have left my room wearing. On the one hand, I have to kind of admire the confidence, but on the other hand - they looked pretty bad with rolls hanging out all over the place (men as well as women).

I can't say that what is right for me is right for everyone, though.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.
  • TabbiKat15
    TabbiKat15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This made me giggle.. Love it. :happy:
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Seriously, those things are a few inches of fabric away from being one pieces.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I find truly unflattering is ill fitting cloths. This is true for any size or weight.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I am so confused OP.

You say that these decent-looking bikinis, which support and cover some of the problem areas, should not be worn due to the fact that it encourages people to stay fat because it's easy? What are women supposed to wear if they are in the process of slimming down or even using swimming to obtain a fitness goal? Just a "decent, covering" one piece? I have seen many one-pieces that show a lot more than those bikinis pictured on the previous page show.

Look, it's OK to feel pretty, even if you are carrying around baby weight or had a thyroid problem or hit menopause and your weight bloomed out of control. It's OK to wear something that covers less than a 1920's swim dress when you go to the beach. We are modern people, who wear modern things, and I don't see a bikini style encouraging anyone to change anything they don't want to change already.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Seriously, those things are a few inches of fabric away from being one pieces.

Basically. The way the OP is going on you'd think it was some kind of string bikini and butts were being shoved directly into her face, not a crop of high waist, long top, actually fairly cute bikinis.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what anyone else considers appropriate doesn't matter. If a person feels confident and attractive in something I say wear it if they want to. I actually kinda like the plus size bikinis they're a bit vintage and look supportive in the top. I don't know if I'd wear one myself, but there should be no shame in choosing to. Who says you have to wait until you get to your goal weight to wear something you find attractive?
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

Oh I love these! I'm not overweight, but buy bikinis that are this sort of style from pinupgirlclothing.com- this style was all the rage in the 50's by thin and curvy women alike. I think they are flattering!

And, to the OP- what exactly do you have a problem with here? Yes, obesity can cause health problems, but I doubt anyone in a healthy range is looking at these bikinis and saying "MAN, I should gain weight!" I love the style, and buy it in a size small from a clothing company that specializes in retro styles. And at 129, I can only hope to have an ounce of the beauty and confidence these women exude in the photos.

Everybody deserves to feel good about what they wear, and have a variety of styles available to them. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, and nothing made me more sad than seeing women on the beach in baggy tshirts and shorts looking miserably hot and uncomfortable because they were ashamed of being seen in a swimsuit.

This is totally not the point, either, but I actually think these swimsuits are so much more flattering than most one pieces available to plus size women.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I'm "fat" right now, and I would never wear some of the stuff I see. I cover my blubber, so why can't others cover theirs?
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have two views on this:

1. They seem to me to be very flattering swimwear for larger women.
    2. I don't understand the mentality of people who seem to have something against larger women wanting to look fashionable. Would they prefer a Government approved smock with a big yellow O for 'Obese' on it just so that, in case someone's size wasn't a give-away, larger folk could be easily recognised so that everyone could point at them and shout "You should be ashamed!"?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't care what you wear. I don't care what you look like.

I care about your health and your health risks, and I care about any issues that may have contributed to your weight gain, but I'm not abhorred by the very site of adipose. Come on.

I don't agree that society is telling people it's ok to be obese or sweeping it under the rug. The only people I see saying "fat is awesome" are overweight celebrities who are still struggling with the same burden a lot of us are. And then guess what? They wake up lose weight and seem pretty darn proud of it.

Yes, people sell plus size bathing suits, lingerie, and miniskirts, because there are obviously enough plus size women who wan to wear those things, and they have every right to.

I think we could all spend a little less time worrying about what other people "should or shouldn't" be doing and a little more time on ourselves.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I'm "fat" right now, and I would never wear some of the stuff I see. I cover my blubber, so why can't others cover theirs?

That is your prerogative. I have a couple unflattering scars from being accident prone. Other people chose to hide unflattering scars. I don't, they are part of me, *I* am not ashamed of them. To me, your comment is on par with someone seeing the burn scar on my stomach and saying "I cover my scars, why can't you cover yours?" Besides I don't care to, that's why.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

They are cute!

And they look better in them at their size than I would at my size. I have more flab and cellulite than they do!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I try to get myself worked up about this and I can't.

At 250lbs, I am not anywhere close to comfortable in a bikini in public. So I won't be buying one for a long, long time, if ever.

But if another woman my size is comfortable rocking a bikini, then good for her. Over and over I hear men say that what they look for in a woman is confidence. I would only be jealous that I'm barely comfortable in my Land's End tankini while she's out there rocking a bikini.

And then I would go back to playing with my son in the ocean.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

I'll just ditto this. Please stop trying to impress your viewpoint upon others as though it's some definitive fact. Why oh why do you care about the swimwear of anyone but yourself? Talk about a buttinski.

Ditto. OP, you have no right to judge anyone else but yourself. Something about glass houses and throwing stones...

^QFT.

Here’s an idea OP: If you don’t like what other people are wearing, why don’t you stay in your house where you get to control all the clothing?
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like them. Why can't overweight people still be stylish? This reminds me of when I was pregnant and all of the maternity swimsuits were frumpy ugly things. I was 25 when I was pregnant and the bathing suits available looked like they were made for women in their sixties. So I bought a tankini from the juniors section in an XL instead. Anyway back to the point, it's ok to make stylish, fun apparel for all shapes and sizes.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I find truly unflattering is ill fitting cloths. This is true for any size or weight.

I do agree with this though.