"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    In my country, obesity is a public health issue. I guess I understand people who are happy being obese, but there is enough scientific proof that obesity is the main cause for multiple diseases (heart condition, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc).

Just NO.
    There are plenty of thin diabetics in this world, it has more to do with genetics than diet.
    Did you know that uncontrolled blood sugars cause heart disease and high blood pressure among other things?

You cannot eat your way to diabetes. It's actually a symptom of lots of things. Ever hear of MODY? LADA? Type 1 Diabetes?....all autoimmune and likely manifests itself in folks of normal weight.

Don't take my word for it....look it up.
    I did.

It depends on again as mentioned in this thread factors.. I agree that eating your way to diabetes is not the only way to get it but I know that's how my grandmother became diabetic and mostly more likely to have susceptibility to it.

Don't take my word for it...look it up.

I'm not arguing with you.. therefore, there is nothing to look up. Just sayin' everyone is different. Not everyone gets diabetes the same way.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Ok out of morbid curiosity I googled "fatkini". I'm all for "being me" and loving yourself no matter your body shape and size, but it does glamourize unhealthy weight. My husband was a little frightened though....

I think if OP said this the way you did, no one would have a problem.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

Those are adorable.

So THAT is a fatkini? Well those models look cute actually.

I do think that even though they are overweight, but they are wearing clothing flattering to them even still. I have seen some very very overweight women who are on the beach here, and they probably could find a bathing suit that will suit their figure and not look frumpy. I personally think we should look as beautiful as we wish to. If I had a choice of a swim suit that was cute or one that made me look bad I'd pick the one that made me look the cutest.
  • mssmssy
    mssmssy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 6' tall. There are very few one piece suits that support "the girls" and do NOT ride up in the back. Tankinis tend to be too low cut for me and the board shorts are often too short. These flattering fatkinis might just be what some of us tall gals need.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem.

I want the modest, ruched swim dresses that you only see in the plus size section - and I need them in small and x-small. They're extremely flattering on every figure.

This whole trend of wearing string bikinis really doesn't suit my body or that of most women !

Modcloth has some of the retro looking swimsuits in smaller & larger sizes.

As well as pinupgirlclothing! Love them!
  • mflinn84
    mflinn84 Posts: 35
    Options
    I size 10 is so not fat. I just bought a pair of size 10s - you can look at my profile tummy pics (AFTER A MEAL). Yeah, I wanna lose about 10-15 lbs and get more fit but assuming you are toned, size 10 is perfect for a bikini.
  • droppinlbslikeangels
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Finding cute, affordable flattering bathing suits is hard. And then, having the confidence to wear it is hard! What are you gaining by judging the women who are trying to make things easier on themselves?

Being overweight is hard enough without your body policing. If someone is confident enough to wear a bikini then more power to them.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    While I would never wear something called a "fatkini," I do think they are flattering for a woman's shape. At any size.

Basically this is a retro bikini that had a high cut brief--before the era of extra low rise jeans.

Maybe I do want one...hmmm...
  • Pebbles91909
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

Seriously, those things are a few inches of fabric away from being one pieces.

I agree, I think they are very cute.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wish they had these in my size!! :(
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Ok I know everyone has their own opinion and that's cool but let's clear something up... Those perfectly tanned ladies they used for models are I'm guessing a size 14.... NOT a 24.

Most of my point here is not the product itself but just the fact that they call them "Fatkinis"... It's like admitting you have an addiction but saying its acceptable. I'm tired of the "big and proud" "well we all die sometime at least ill die full" kind of BS that "fat people" spout to pretend they are OK with their obvious health issues. Read the comments on that article. These "fat women" are citing every excuse in the book of why they are fat and its ok. Most of which say "I have such and such health issue which keeps me from losing weight" I call BS. Health problems can make it more difficult to lose but it sure isn't impossible and your "slow metabolism" has nothing to do with why you got to be 400lbs. I have less problem with the product and more problem with the feeling and attitude of complacency that it brings with it.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Ok I know everyone has their own opinion and that's cool but let's clear something up... Those perfectly tanned ladies they used for models are I'm guessing a size 14.... NOT a 24.

Most of my point here is not the product itself but just the fact that they call them "Fatkinis"... It's like admitting you have an addiction but saying its acceptable. I'm tired of the "big and proud" "well we all die sometime at least ill die full" kind of BS that "fat people" spout to pretend they are OK with their obvious health issues. Read the comments on that article. These "fat women" are citing every excuse in the book of why they are fat and its ok. Most of which say "I have such and such health issue which keeps me from losing weight" I call BS. Health problems can make it more difficult to lose but it sure isn't impossible and your "slow metabolism" has nothing to do with why you got to be 400lbs. I have less problem with the product and more problem with the feeling and attitude of complacency that it brings with it.

You are WAY too invested in other people's issues. Seriously, why do you care?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I care because my mother sister and father are all in that group that are fat and laugh about it and pretend like its ok and it's not. That's the role model I grew up with and I'm 30# overweight. It's a cycle that needs to be broken. I feel sorry for these people's children bc they will likely be overweight too and the cycle continues.

• StheK
    Options
    I wasn't going to quote on this; but I'm bored so I'm going to :) I have a page on my fb that I "like" so the comments show up on my news feed. It seems to glorify obesity. I know what the OP is saying; that some of society is trying to say that being obese, overweight, etc is beautiful, should be embraced, and something to be proud of. If I did see an obese person in a revealing swimsuit, I would personally think that they are trying to flaunt it. More power to em. I don't have that confidence personally. I think the more important issue, is what they are doing to try and make sure that they are HEALTHY. That should be the main concern here. if a person is obese, and thinks they will embrace it, eat whatever they want, and have a "Who gives a ***" attitude, then I don't think they have their health in their best interest. Aren't we all on this website to get healthy in the first place? Society should not glorify excessive weight. Because let's face it ... in health, physics, or to the naked eye ... it doesn't lead to many pretty places.

Seriously? Glorify? Trust me, nobody thinks being fat all by itself is glorious. They just want to be treated like people, and they are asserting their right to be happy, despite the fact that they aren't "pretty" to people like you. They're just determined not to be cheated out of life just because someone doesn't want to see it.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

lol

oh and btw, everyone has to deal with obesity, eh? I think not.

lol - ^^
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    CrazyCatLadylovescats Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eh. They don't have the fat rolling over the edges, like I have seen on some people wearing suits that were not made for their size. They seem rather flattering if you have the body types of the models.

I just wish that I could get my doctor to help me with my weight loss. I am eating healthy, low carb, exercising and yet I am not loosing weight. I am just into the overweight category with diabetes on both sides of my family. And he brushed me off and didn't offer to help me look for reasons why I can't lose. Yet when I go to the government BMI calculator sight, it says I should talk to my doctor. Lot of good that did me.
  • StheK
    Options
    I care because my mother sister and father are all in that group that are fat and laugh about it and pretend like its ok and it's not. That's the role model I grew up with and I'm 30# overweight. It's a cycle that needs to be broken. I feel sorry for these people's children bc they will likely be overweight too and the cycle continues.

If your family has a problem, that's your family- deal with your family issues. But to pass that judgment on complete strangers, whose stories you don't know and who are under no obligation to give a damn about the same things you care about- that's just obnoxious. If you were here posting about how we could improve school lunch programs or encourage kids to exercise or educate them better about healthy choices or, you know, anything that might actually contribute to breaking the "cycle" you're sure these people must be in, that would be one thing- then I might believe that you had their best interest at heart. But you're not- you're here talking about how they should be ashamed of how they look and how inappropriate it is that they might be comfortable in their own skin. You want to define them by what they look like, not how healthy and/or happy they are. You're annoyed because they might not hate themselves as much as you would if you were that size, and because they don't seem to care about the imaginary backseat position in society you've decided is appropriate for fat people. You can't stand the idea that a fat person might not be ashamed of who they are and what they look like, even if in every other way they are wonderful, hard working, intelligent, generous people. How dare they express those other parts of themselves- when obviously the important thing is that they admit that they are defined by their weight and accept the consequences.

Get over what fat people wear or don't wear. If you're really, genuinely worried about health issues, the last thing you should be doing is obsessing over what they look like. That makes you part of the problem. Worry about educating, about boosting confidence and esteem, about learning to embrace a person's strengths, since it's their strengths that will ultimately allow them to take care of themselves- or even to think they're worth being taken care of. Be a shoulder to stand on instead of focusing on how to knock them down to size.

Or not. Whatever.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

If your family has a problem, that's your family- deal with your family issues. But to pass that judgment on complete strangers, whose stories you don't know and who are under no obligation to give a damn about the same things you care about- that's just obnoxious. If you were here posting about how we could improve school lunch programs or encourage kids to exercise or educate them better about healthy choices or, you know, anything that might actually contribute to breaking the "cycle" you're sure these people must be in, that would be one thing- then I might believe that you had their best interest at heart. But you're not- you're here talking about how they should be ashamed of how they look and how inappropriate it is that they might be comfortable in their own skin. You want to define them by what they look like, not how healthy and/or happy they are. You're annoyed because they might not hate themselves as much as you would if you were that size, and because they don't seem to care about the imaginary backseat position in society you've decided is appropriate for fat people. You can't stand the idea that a fat person might not be ashamed of who they are and what they look like, even if in every other way they are wonderful, hard working, intelligent, generous people. How dare they express those other parts of themselves- when obviously the important thing is that they admit that they are defined by their weight and accept the consequences.

Get over what fat people wear or don't wear. If you're really, genuinely worried about health issues, the last thing you should be doing is obsessing over what they look like. That makes you part of the problem. Worry about educating, about boosting confidence and esteem, about learning to embrace a person's strengths, since it's their strengths that will ultimately allow them to take care of themselves- or even to think they're worth being taken care of. Be a shoulder to stand on instead of focusing on how to knock them down to size.

Or not. Whatever.

????????????????Thank you.
  • dooplegoon
    dooplegoon Posts: 66
    Options
    If you say thiis is truly about health related issues then...

Overweight (not obese) live longer than thin people...

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555137

You dont necessarily have to fit this ideal lean body type to be healthy and live a long life. In fact moderate exercise can improve all over health indicators regardless of size.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/body/head-to-toe/fat-but-fit/

The fact that your obejection is about fat in particular to how it relates to clothing choices completely invalidates your case against the health issues of body fat. If you really cared about the health then any activewear clothing that makes a person feel confident enough to go out and exercise (swimming is a fantastic low impact exercise) should be at the top of your "this is awesome" list.

Signed,

A fat person who has a hard time going outside or to a gym to exercise because I am embarrassed because all the active wear available is unflattering, uncomfortable and overall ugly. A fat person who hasn't worn a swimming suit in 20 YEARS because I couldnt ever find anything I was comfortable in. A fat person who stayed inactive because it was easier to hide inside.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

Fatkini is a pretty weird term, even more so when they start at a size 10.

Bikinis are really impractical swimwear. I have a few but tend to wear a one piece (scoop backs with little skater skirts) as I got sick of bikinis not having enough support and/or falling off when I am in the water. String bikinis are REALLY impracticable. The more recent fashion for bikinis with lace just tend to look like underwear.

I like that there is a return to more retro styled, highwaisted, supportive bikinis.

I love the retro style bikinis!