"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Women need to stop oppressing other women. Period.

I think you're beautiful no matter what you wear. Except ignorance, that's really ugly.

QFT.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

^This!
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Women need to stop oppressing other women. Period.

I think you're beautiful no matter what you wear. Except ignorance, that's really ugly.

<3
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I care because my mother sister and father are all in that group that are fat and laugh about it and pretend like its ok and it's not. That's the role model I grew up with and I'm 30# overweight. It's a cycle that needs to be broken. I feel sorry for these people's children bc they will likely be overweight too and the cycle continues.

As a child, yes, your weight (or more accurately: what you eat) is dictated by your parents, but as you reach the age where you can reason and think for yourself, when you can discuss and argue and verbalise and form your own opinion, your weight and fitness has nothing to do with your family. Unless your family is wholly and totally unreasonable (and I apologise if they are, but I'm speaking in general terms here for ease), there is little reason as to why asking for healthier options in the weekly food shop would have no impact, or simply eating smaller portions of unhealthy food. As for exercise -- there's nothing stopping a teenager or a young adult from working out in their room, in their garden, or going for a run down the street if they really want to.

For as long as you blame your family for your eating and/or weight problems, very little will change in the long term. You need to take responsibility for your own body. Don't BS and say that you're concerned for other people when it's clear that the root of this "concern" are your own issues. Whilst family is undoubtedly a great influence as far as role models go, no-one grows up in a vacuum in this day and age -- teachers, sports men and women, they're all there and ever present and brilliant role models for children and young adults. On Facebook, on Pinterest and on Tumblr, there are entire communities dedicated to fitness and promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Now, as to the other issue: not all fat people are unhealthy and not all thin people are fit (obesity is a different issue). On the other hand, if you phrased this as an issue of fitness vs. a lack of fitness, then I'd be more likely to agree with you, but you're talking about mere aesthetics.

"Their appearance offends me" hidden behind "oh but I'm concerned!!". No, you're not. You dislike the idea that someone who is fat is happy with their body, can accept their body. I would love it if I could rock a bikini with confidence, but I can't and I'm not overweight. I weigh 126lbs and I run 5x a week. You know why I can't wear a bikini in public?

Because I hate how I look. Never once as a teenager or as a young adult have I had someone try and help me with body acceptance, with looking at my body and loving it for everything that it is, flaws included. I've suffered from an eating disorder and even now, when I am taking measures to try and love my body, to appreciate what it can do when I fuel it right, how it can and does look, I struggle.

If I had even an ounce of the confidence these women had when I was both larger and when I was smaller than I am at present, I would be a lot happier than I am now, and I would be a lot healthier in both body and mind.

Being confident =! unhealthiness. You have no idea how much weight women wearing "fatkinis" may have lost prior to busting out one of those cute as **** bikinis. For as long as the idea that a woman must be a certain weight to be accepted in a certain item of clothing is propagated, there will continue to be massive problems with health and weight, IMO. How many people here have turned to eating more food when they've become unhappy with their figure? Catch-22, man.

Body acceptance and happiness needs to be promoted because it (absolutely can) lead to healthiness. Body shaming and hating your body and the bodies of others won't.

Stop it.

I love you.

You say what I feel and cannot put into words. Thank You!
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you should take your supposed concern over people's health, and see it for what it really is, judgement over how other people look!

If someone is obese, should they not still be able to enjoy their life and wear whatever they please? it's a bit irrelevant if it offends you or not, as long as they're happy. They're not going to be deluded, and think that being obese is healthy, but they have to get on with it, and either accept that about themselves, or do something about it. In the meantime, it's not for anyone else to judge them, ever!

Take another look, what are you expecting obese men to wear at the pool? Men just get trunks, so would you rather an obese man had a wetsuit on, maybe you should design some fatty man suits? no? because you know what that is, double standards, sexism, if a man wouldn't be expected to cover up further than normal, then neither should a woman.

I LOVE THIS REPLY!!!!!!!! "fatty man suits" ha ha so true SO TRUE!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

Those are adorable.

So THAT is a fatkini? Well those models look cute actually.

I do think that even though they are overweight, but they are wearing clothing flattering to them even still. I have seen some very very overweight women who are on the beach here, and they probably could find a bathing suit that will suit their figure and not look frumpy. I personally think we should look as beautiful as we wish to. If I had a choice of a swim suit that was cute or one that made me look bad I'd pick the one that made me look the cutest.

Agreed. I was so surprised that I found flattering swimsuits this year. I've almost lost 100 pounds, & was so thrilled when I could finally look somewhat decent in the retro styled one pieces that Wal-Mart sells with the ruching. Last year & the previous year I tried on a 22 the biggest size, & they wouldn't fit. This year I could fit easily into a size 16. I also bought a very pretty retro looking red one piece at Ross. If I could find flattering bikinis like those I would definitely pick one up.
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    The name is troubling. other else, they look nice.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the name sucks. Kind of like a back-handed compliment. Hey you! Here's a two-piece that's really flattering that would look really nice on your figure, but we're still going to call you fat though!

I have two issues with swimsuits...#1 is the tops. Most one-pieces just do not provide enough support for us large-breasted gals. Land's End has some good options, but dang those suits are pricey. I think the nice thing about these two pieces is the potential for more support, which is awesome. My #2 issue is the freakin' floral patterns, namely hibiscus. Bleccccchhh! So, therefore, I declare no one else should ever be able to wear a swimsuit with hibiscus on it because I personally think they are ugly.

OP...don't let yourself get caught up in what other people are doing. Stop caring. It's a waste of your energy and it just makes you a negative person that no one wants to be around. No one likes a Judgey McJudgeypants.

As far as being concerned for the future of the children of these fatties, you have no idea what goes on in their homes. I'm obese. My husband is not. Genetically, our children could go either way. But I'm learning to eat better, healthier food, and many of the things I eat I don't let my kid eat (sweets, namely). So, before you assume that the poor little kid on the playground with the fat momma is going to end up a chunkster too, think about how perhaps that women may have already lost 10, 20, 50 pounds and is already teaching her child great habits. Just because your parents didn't do that, doesn't mean it's not possible.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

I love these! And I have actually been trying to track down a retro style bikini. I admire women who don't give a fugg and put on their two piece. More power to you!!! It doesn't offend me one bit.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I care because my mother sister and father are all in that group that are fat and laugh about it and pretend like its ok and it's not. That's the role model I grew up with and I'm 30# overweight. It's a cycle that needs to be broken. I feel sorry for these people's children bc they will likely be overweight too and the cycle continues.

As a child, yes, your weight (or more accurately: what you eat) is dictated by your parents, but as you reach the age where you can reason and think for yourself, when you can discuss and argue and verbalise and form your own opinion, your weight and fitness has nothing to do with your family. Unless your family is wholly and totally unreasonable (and I apologise if they are, but I'm speaking in general terms here for ease), there is little reason as to why asking for healthier options in the weekly food shop would have no impact, or simply eating smaller portions of unhealthy food. As for exercise -- there's nothing stopping a teenager or a young adult from working out in their room, in their garden, or going for a run down the street if they really want to.

For as long as you blame your family for your eating and/or weight problems, very little will change in the long term. You need to take responsibility for your own body. Don't BS and say that you're concerned for other people when it's clear that the root of this "concern" are your own issues. Whilst family is undoubtedly a great influence as far as role models go, no-one grows up in a vacuum in this day and age -- teachers, sports men and women, they're all there and ever present and brilliant role models for children and young adults. On Facebook, on Pinterest and on Tumblr, there are entire communities dedicated to fitness and promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Now, as to the other issue: not all fat people are unhealthy and not all thin people are fit (obesity is a different issue). On the other hand, if you phrased this as an issue of fitness vs. a lack of fitness, then I'd be more likely to agree with you, but you're talking about mere aesthetics.

"Their appearance offends me" hidden behind "oh but I'm concerned!!". No, you're not. You dislike the idea that someone who is fat is happy with their body, can accept their body. I would love it if I could rock a bikini with confidence, but I can't and I'm not overweight. I weigh 126lbs and I run 5x a week. You know why I can't wear a bikini in public?

Because I hate how I look. Never once as a teenager or as a young adult have I had someone try and help me with body acceptance, with looking at my body and loving it for everything that it is, flaws included. I've suffered from an eating disorder and even now, when I am taking measures to try and love my body, to appreciate what it can do when I fuel it right, how it can and does look, I struggle.

If I had even an ounce of the confidence these women had when I was both larger and when I was smaller than I am at present, I would be a lot happier than I am now, and I would be a lot healthier in both body and mind.

Being confident =! unhealthiness. You have no idea how much weight women wearing "fatkinis" may have lost prior to busting out one of those cute as **** bikinis. For as long as the idea that a woman must be a certain weight to be accepted in a certain item of clothing is propagated, there will continue to be massive problems with health and weight, IMO. How many people here have turned to eating more food when they've become unhappy with their figure? Catch-22, man.

Body acceptance and happiness needs to be promoted because it (absolutely can) lead to healthiness. Body shaming and hating your body and the bodies of others won't.

Stop it.

:flowerforyou: You are awesomely beautiful!
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lol...if I was wearing a bikini and someone like OP walked up to me and said I shouldn't be wearing it, I would probably pinch my belly fat and make it talk and make it tell her to kiss my fat *kitten*. And then I'd sit down and tuck my knees to my chest and lean forward, because that's how I roll.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    OMG I love this!!!! You're awesome!!! :heart:

The very best reply to this mess! :heart:
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    OK - I know I'm going to get ALL KINDS of crap from re-posting this on my facebook page with comments as some people are still in denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage. But here... I know we all know better. SO.... take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

1) IMHO Size 10 is not "fat". Hell, that's a goal size for me.
    2) Does this not endorse the feelings of "well its too hard for me to lose weight so I'll just go buy bigger pants" issue that americans and overweight people all over the world face? I don't say this to mean that "fat people should cover themselves with a moo moo cuz nobody wants to see that" but... its like they're glamorizing being overweight... particularly with the name "fatkini" WTF?
    3) Personally... I do have a bikini... which is worn in my backyard in my hot tub and nowhere else because I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up. That's just how I feel about myself. Maybe in 40# when I have a little more toned midsection I will begin to wear a "bikini" out in public.

Again... I'm overweight... so I'm not trying to be mean... I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/life/healthandfitness/30030758-71/westfall-app-weight-chris-pounds.html.csp

First off a size 10 is not over weight. so you really just pissed me off hard core by saying that. I am a size ten and by the BMI that was created by insurance companies I am overweight.

My BF percentage is 19% and I weight 163 and I am 5'4

I am very healthy and fit.

Yes I could still lose some more weight.. but am I overweight? no, no I am not. so thank you for your unintelligent post.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    /orders one
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I wanted to buy a fatkini but they sold out before I could. I am a plus size women even with a 60 pound weight loss. I believe that my body is no one's else business with the exception of my doctors. If someone dared to approach me on the beach and make a comment about my body my husband would probably knock them into the next week. It is just rude and as my German friend says about her time a nude beach, "If you see something you don't like then look in the other direction."

I plan to continue to lose weight but I do not believe on putting my life experiences on hold so that other people may feel comfortable about my body.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and why stop at bikinis? we shouldn't make plus sized clothes at all! If you're fat you should have to walk around naked until you can fit into regular sized clothes. *eyeroll*
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ok I know everyone has their own opinion and that's cool but let's clear something up... Those perfectly tanned ladies they used for models are I'm guessing a size 14.... NOT a 24.

Most of my point here is not the product itself but just the fact that they call them "Fatkinis"... It's like admitting you have an addiction but saying its acceptable. I'm tired of the "big and proud" "well we all die sometime at least ill die full" kind of BS that "fat people" spout to pretend they are OK with their obvious health issues. Read the comments on that article. These "fat women" are citing every excuse in the book of why they are fat and its ok. Most of which say "I have such and such health issue which keeps me from losing weight" I call BS. Health problems can make it more difficult to lose but it sure isn't impossible and your "slow metabolism" has nothing to do with why you got to be 400lbs. I have less problem with the product and more problem with the feeling and attitude of complacency that it brings with it.

God you are very annoying.... and sound like you are 12 years old. ugh. very bothered by your closed mind.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I don't think I will ever understand why someone that is really overweight/obese would want to let it all hang out like that, but it's their life, their choice. Personally, I would be mortified, but again, they aren't me.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I care because my mother sister and father are all in that group that are fat and laugh about it and pretend like its ok and it's not. That's the role model I grew up with and I'm 30# overweight.

Your comments make more sense now that we know you have mommy and daddy issues.
    In all honesty, you should probably be less concerned with how your family impacted your weight, and more concerned with how they impacted your character.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

In all honesty, you should probably be less concerned with how your family impacted your weight, and more concerned with how they impacted your character.

ftw
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

I love these! And I have actually been trying to track down a retro style bikini. I admire women who don't give a fugg and put on their two piece. More power to you!!! It doesn't offend me one bit.

These are "fatkinis?" Heck, finally a two piece that I could wear! Geez, even when I was 18 and 115 lbs (I'm 5'5") I still needed one of these! No matter what these are called, they look great. Think I'll find myself one! I could care less what they are called. Heck, the name is actually a hoot!