Man Muscles?

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

....snip for brevity....

It's the idea of what's bulky that's being misunderstood.

I think this is the problem with a lot of the arguments about lifting or not.

IMO, the blogger's definition of bulky is way off. To me (and a lot of people here) the women she has classified as bulky are decidedly not. They are fit and look strong. They have the body I am working towards.

But, I guess there are a lot more women who think the opposite (which is sad, IMO). And they are aiming for picture #2, I guess.

Still, the results pictured in the first group of photos are difficult to achieve and require a lot of time and effort. That doesn't happen accidently or overnight.

That whole blog made me sad.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt because she is trying to sell something.

For that exact reason, my boot camp instructor (who is a body building competitor herself) only has us curling 5lb dumbbells. Women get scared of iron. It makes more financial sense to assuage their fears than it does to try to correct them, I guess.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Jlaw-what.gif
  • MamaCass30
    MamaCass30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I WANT man muscles, but then again, I've always been an odd duck. All my hopes and dreams are being dashed by all these people saying I can't get man muscles :sad:
  • JefferyJohns
    Options
    Hey I am one of those people who sticks with a program when it works! Theres a program called Wild Workout, it has a mens (which I am currently doing) and a womens version. The program I think the women's version is called Wild Workout BeautyFlex. You might want to give it a try, I have read some good reviews about it. Its in book form and I'm pretty sure I saw it the last time I was browsing through fitness courses at Barnes and noble, not really too sure but if I do some digging I may have some more info for you. Hope this helps!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

....snip for brevity....

IMO, the blogger's definition of bulky is way off. To me (and a lot of people here) the women she has classified as bulky are decidedly not. They are fit and look strong. They have the body I am working towards.

But, I guess there are a lot more women who think the opposite (which is sad, IMO). And they are aiming for picture #2, I guess.

Still, the results pictured in the first group of photos are difficult to achieve and require a lot of time and effort. That doesn't happen accidently or overnight.

For that exact reason, my boot camp instructor (who is a body building competitor herself) only has us curling 5lb dumbbells. Women get scared of iron. It makes more financial sense to assuage their fears than it does to try to correct them, I guess.

The conclusions drawn from the survey are a stretch to say the least. Assuming the choices she lists are the only response options, then people HAD to select one of those women as bulky. I bet if she had asked "Do you think Jessica Biel looks hot?" 99% would say yes. :tongue:
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you find a way of building muscle easily, please let me know. I've been doing it for years, eating more calories, lifing more weights etc than you could shake a stick at and its still slow going.

Quick answer - you won't. You'll see you are building muscle long before its too much for you. They don't suddenly go TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA over night. Years and years literally and then its slow going.

mine did.

happened in 1 afternoon.

21f366dd62c4232e240865445b5e8e431022270d_r.jpg

Aaaah, the body beautiful romper suit. Class :D
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options

....snip for brevity....

Yes, I am surprised but what was considered bulky too. I think some of it is after working out and gaining an appreciation for how much work it takes to get those bodies, you gain an appreciation for the bodies themselves. At least that is the case for me. I am more in awe of the "bulky" set of women. I also find it empowering to be stronger, so it is not purely aesthetics for me.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would say just train to be toned and not ripped... women are meant to be curvy and naturally have more body fat than men. as stated above keep your body fat level at a healthy level.. between 20-30 only marathon runners and anorexics have single digit bfi.. good luck Jim

All of the things I want to say will get me banned from the forums for sure.

Women don't have single digit body fat. 3% on a man is around 10% on a woman, and both BF percentages will lead to significant health problems if maintained for long periods (more than a day)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
  • R2Vee2
    R2Vee2 Posts: 13
    Options
    h8BD74143

While I laughed at this picture, the truth is that for whatever reason the HUGE misconception exists among women that weight training will turn them into She Hulk. I don't know why that school of thought persists, but it's ridiculous and needs to be squashed, immediately.

Ladies, no matter how much you lift you will not get "man muscles" unless you take supplements (legal and not so legal) to make you bulk up. Weight training does wonders for our bodies. The more muscle we develop, the more calories we burn. WEIGHTS ARE YOUR FRIEND. So next time you're in the gym, get yourself into the weight lifting area and just go for it. Not only will you feel amazing, you will be doing wonders for your body.

Great info here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/franco7.htm
  • SteveStedge
    Options
    Lift all the weights you want! Women with muscles are very, very sexy. And unless you take some sort of illegal steroids or hormones you won't end up looking like a man. The best way to look lean and feminine IS to build up some muscle. A hard-body is much sexier than those cardiobunnies who spend all year on the elliptical and always look the same.

This
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

....snip for brevity....

The conclusions drawn from the survey are a stretch to say the least. Assuming the choices she lists are the only response options, then people HAD to select one of those women as bulky. I bet if she had asked "Do you think Jessica Biel looks hot?" 99% would say yes. :tongue:

I think it is helpful to read her follow-up article because she discusses why she chose the women she did. If anyone is interested: http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-women-part-deux
    Yeah I found the follow up useful. She's saying that this is what "most people" consider bulky, that is what they mean when they use the word. It's not a question of right or wrong but of trying to determine what the word means to the speaker/listener. She is also not saying that bulky is good or bad or attaching value judgments to it, although "most people" also seem to have an opinion about what women "should" look like.

The latter part, IMO (and hers from what part 2 says) is where people (and societies) are sick and wrong.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    what-actually-happens.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

....snip for brevity....

She didn't define those women as bulky, she did a survey and that's what other women voted.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Stick to 5lbs weights. But they MUST be pink!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The latest ridiculous "omg, she's like a man" thing I've been seeing online lately is about Kaley Cuoco, Penny from Big Bang Theory. I've read a surprisingly large amounts of comments that she "looks like a man in a dress," "is built like a linebacker," "has man arms," etc. Oh, and sometimes that she's fat, too. :explode:

I'm just sayin'... if you think this looks like a man...

Penny-is-shown-in-Maximum-Mag-Photo-Shoot.jpg

... you have very odd ideas of what a man looks like.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The latest ridiculous "omg, she's like a man" thing I've been seeing online lately is about Kaley Cuoco, Penny from Big Bang Theory. I've read a surprisingly large amounts of comments that she "looks like a man in a dress," "is built like a linebacker," "has man arms," etc. Oh, and sometimes that she's fat, too. :explode:

My husband thinks she's smoking. He also encourages me to lift and is eagerly awaiting a sexier more muscular me.

So if she's manly/he thinks muscles are hot...does that mean he secretly likes men? ...I'm confused.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

^QFT. Looks like man to me (*sarcasm)

y4IgjYx.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

....snip for brevity....

She didn't define those women as bulky, she did a survey and that's what other women voted.

Yes, and that is what made me sad - the results.

Although I should not have said "whole".
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It is sad that strength and low body fat are NOT desired traits for the majority of people but all we can do is be healthy, get strong and change a few opinions at a time. I like muscles on women. My husband likes muscles on women. My daughter already wants muscles and she's 6. My sisters desire muscles like mine. Just influence those you can and to hell with the rest.