Women who put on muscle fast

fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I get terribly fed up with being told women don't bulk up, or women don't look like body builders without steroids. I put on muscle very easily, and although I don't end up looking like a body builder when I do heavy weights, I certainly get rather manish in the arms and legs. When I rowed a lot I had very big arm and thigh muscles, and was certainly not on steroids. I didn't even eat much protein by most people's standards (being vegetarian).

So are there any other women on here like me, who actually do get big muscles doing weights, and don't really want them?

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    i can bench press the same amount as my dad.....i am naturally muscley, since i dont work out as of now, i have big arm muscles (especially triceps) and big leg muscles/calf muscles.....i have always had strong abs, just a bunch of fat packed over them. When i do work out I have to either use my natural weight (yoga, pilates) or do a bunch of reps with low weights because i will start to bulk harcore.....maybe its the "manly german" side of me or something? those women always seem to be burley
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    me me me!
    i have a very large muscular frame. i'm 5'9 and have really bulky legs and when i lose weight, the definition of my arms is VERY manish! i dont like it because mys ister is the same height and looks slim and like a model.. i've learned tod eal with it and that just means that i cant wear SHORT shorts because of my very bulky legs...
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    I am the same way! I tend to put on a ton of muscle, especially in my thighs. Doing yoga and stretching exercises helps keep you really lean. You should give it a try!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    You guys aren't alone. I have broad shoulders and calves like a friggin' linebacker.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    So are there any other women on here like me, who actually do get big muscles doing weights, and don't really want them?
    In my early 20s, I used to work out hard, ride bikes and cycle and do a lot of other physical stuff besides. I had a womanly but muscular physique, and I was proud of it.

25 years on, I'm starting from borderline obese and incredibly unfit, getting fitter and still building up to heavy weights - with my current restricted calorie intake I have at present, I've not yet been able to find out whether I can gain muscle at this age. I sincerely hope so.

At least I haven't lost any muscle mass yet. :)
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    You guys aren't alone. I have broad shoulders and calves like a friggin' linebacker.

lol, same! Even when I was thinner I still couldn't wear regular boots and had to order "extra wide" ones. SIGH! It doesn't help that I just have a large frame. Damn my german side! I wish I had my smaller Japanese side :) My younger sister is like the complete opposite body type. I'm 5'9 and fairly athletic/large build. My sister is 5'4 and like 115lbs. She is a STICK.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I have a small frame, I just manage to pack a lot of muscle onto it! Especially on my arms. I have a Russian shot-putter's arms. Two of my sisters have incredibly thin, almost twig like arms, and I cannot figure out how they do it. I would like to think they never lift anything ever, but one of them has small children she carries everywhere, so it's not that. Oh how I long for feminine arms.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    A lot of people are fast to say it takes a lot for a woman to bulk and that's not really true. I know that I don't like muscular arms and that's why I don't lift heavy. I may not bulk up like a body builder, but lifting heavy can give me Jillian Michaels arms and I don't like that.

People need to realize the reason why man is in woman. A woman can bulk up too. It takes hardly any lifting for some women to get muscular arms fast. Every woman is different and people need to realize that.
  • Atomic_Bettie_1981
    Atomic_Bettie_1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Which is why I hate to weight lift...my arms get huge! Like I mean huge! lol. But I know I have to do it....its funny that when I work out...first thing I lose is my butt and stomach...once weight lifting comes along my arms and legs get all manish too! Hey as long as you feel better that is all that counts right? :0)
  • I have been swimming competitively for 15 years, and was mostly an IMer and distance freestyler, so I never really used my legs much. As a result, I acquired massive shoulders and a wide back- classic swimmer's body and build. But, I also gain muscle very easily. My mom is very tiny, and she's really buff (maybe because she has practically no fat on her body). I'm almost 20, but I think I look a little manly for being a young lady. I do workout all the time, and I do eat healthy, but I don't think I lift heavy. The most I ever lift is 40lbs.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    sarcoplasm.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    1377571935.jpg?t=1377571936

1377750952.jpg

How long would you guess I have been lifting? Arms has only been three months and I am up to 15-20 pounds right now. Legs has been all body weight exercises.

I would also like to add this is all while at calorie deficit.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    1377571935.jpg?t=1377571936

1377750952.jpg

How long would you guess I have been lifting? Arms has only been three months and I am up to 15-20 pounds right now. Legs has been all body weight exercises.

I would also like to add this is all while at calorie deficit.

Do you have before pictures so we can compare these gains? Do you know your body fat % before and now? Also, have you lost any weight and inches since you have started?
  • PikaKnight
    I have been swimming competitively for 15 years, and was mostly an IMer and distance freestyler, so I never really used my legs much. As a result, I acquired massive shoulders and a wide back- classic swimmer's body and build. But, I also gain muscle very easily. My mom is very tiny, and she's really buff (maybe because she has practically no fat on her body). I'm almost 20, but I think I look a little manly for being a young lady. I do workout all the time, and I do eat healthy, but I don't think I lift heavy. The most I ever lift is 40lbs.

Pics
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    This thread is back from the dead? Well then...

tumblr_mpd2a9bNYF1rg9acko1_500.gif
  • RaggedyPond
    This month I think I have lost 3 pounds. I don't have a before legs. But here is my arm pic before using weights. Everything before this was body weight.

1377752317.jpg
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    This month I think I have lost 3 pounds. I don't have a before legs. But here is my arm pic before using weights.

1377752317.jpg

looks like bodyfat went up a bit. But it could just be the lighting.
  • RaggedyPond
    It was at 30% and now is 28%.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Which is why I hate to weight lift...my arms get huge! Like I mean huge! lol. But I know I have to do it....its funny that when I work out...first thing I lose is my butt and stomach...once weight lifting comes along my arms and legs get all manish too! Hey as long as you feel better that is all that counts right? :0)

lolno
  • PikaKnight
    This month I think I have lost 3 pounds. I don't have a before legs. But here is my arm pic before using weights. Everything before this was body weight.

1377752317.jpg

Was re-reading you previous post and wanted to clarify. Did you gain 15-20lbs during the 3-4 months? And then lost 3lbs recently?
This discussion has been closed.