Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Options

Replies

• mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Going off my Mio Active Connect I can burn 2100-2500 in a good cardio workout. I do 35-40 min on the elliptical, 30-40 min on the recumbent bike 15-30 min on the treadmill and 20-40 min of weight lifting. Then figure in my daily activity, and I have hit 2800 for a total daily burn. Keep in mind I am 300 pounds The bigger you are the easier it is to burn large #s. I do not use the MFP estimates at all.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The treadmill I work out on at the gym asks for weight, age and tracks heart rate and I do a 3.5 incline at 3.8 mph and in 60 minutes it says I burn 623 calories typically. Now if I use a calculator online it tells me about 510 calories, but it does not ask me what incline was used, so I guess I like to use the numbers off the machine, If I go for 90 minutes at a 4 incline at 4 mph then I typically can burn 1,000 calories. I am now wondering if these numbers sound "off" to anyone. I am very overweight however and I know I will burn more calories than a person who is not overweight. Typically the machines base the calories burned in a 150 pound person (which I am a ways from). The MFP estimates are much lower than the machine or the website I use (healthstatus.com).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The treadmill I work out on at the gym asks for weight, age and tracks heart rate and I do a 3.5 incline at 3.8 mph and in 60 minutes it says I burn 623 calories typically. Now if I use a calculator online it tells me about 510 calories, but it does not ask me what incline was used, so I guess I like to use the numbers off the machine, If I go for 90 minutes at a 4 incline at 4 mph then I typically can burn 1,000 calories. I am now wondering if these numbers sound "off" to anyone. I am very overweight however and I know I will burn more calories than a person who is not overweight. Typically the machines base the calories burned in a 150 pound person (which I am a ways from). The MFP estimates are much lower than the machine or the website I use (healthstatus.com).

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Should be the formula's the treadmill is using, it's what MFP's database uses, which is actually a public database that many use.

As long as treadmill has weight, that's enough. The study formula's are public domain, so they usually use them.

And no, that sounds right on.
  • mrbossman
    mrbossman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Or their treadmill tells them they burned 8,000 calories and decided to believe it...

I have a Polar H7 Bluetooth heart rate monitor. I do 30-35 mins on a treadmill then 4-6 miles on a Recumbent Bike. I usually burn 800-975 cal total with the 2 workouts back to back. I move from the Treadmill directly to the Recumbent Bike. Then start a little weight trainning.

Are you saying my HR monitor is incorrect? Any input is welcome.
  • mrbossman
    mrbossman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry im new n just learning how to loose weight what's hrm?

HRM= Heart Rate Monitor
  • heybales
    Options
    I have a Polar H7 Bluetooth heart rate monitor. I do 30-35 mins on a treadmill then 4-6 miles on a Recumbent Bike. I usually burn 800-975 cal total with the 2 workouts back to back. I move from the Treadmill directly to the Recumbent Bike. Then start a little weight trainning.

Are you saying my HR monitor is incorrect? Any input is welcome.

For the lifting yes.

For the other really depends on how you set it up.
    Is HRmax correct as can be?

If it's set to default 220-age and says your HRmax is 180, but your real HRmax is 160 (genetics, nothing with fitness level except keeping it high as you age), then where you work out would make a big difference.

If you were hitting 150 during your cardio, the HRM with 180 will see that as not that intense, decent aerobic level, and X calories.
    But if your real HRmax is 160, than 150 was one intense effort for you, anaerobic level almost, and should have been a much bigger burn.

That can go the other direction too.

Also, the stat the FT7 is missing, VO2max, is calculated off your BMI - it's assumed your fitness level, or VO2max, is low if you have a high BMI. Which is a bad assumption. Doesn't take long to make initial big improvements to VO2max when you start working out, faster than the weight would come down.

So a HR of say 150 for a cardio session with high BMI is seen as X calories burned.
    But say you are actually fit with better VO2max than assumed but BMI is still high, that 150 HR is actually a harder effort and should give you more calories burned.

You can confirm it using this method.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the last time i burned 1000 calories a workout (according to my HRM) i did the following 110 minutes worth of back squats, front squats, OH squats, good mornings, bb row, half cleans, power cleans, push ups, KB swings, turkish gets ups, walking, running..

i was pretty much crawling on my hands and knees to get back home afterwards

Sadly, your HRM is not going to give correct estimate when used with anaerobic non-steady state HR workout like weight lifting.

Totally inflated.

You probably burned 1/4 to 1/3 on the lifting part of that workout.

HRM formula's is based on relationship between HR and supplying O2 for burning fuel. Which is totally not what anaerobic (without oxygen) workouts are doing.

what do you work out besides me or something? because if you did you'd know that your post was incorrect. i keep my heart rate between 130-150 ALL THE TIME when i lift because i dont really take breaks besides racking and unracking which is still pretty much a workout . also,130-150 to me is not anaerobic since it's a heart rate that i can sustain for more than an hour.

besides that since i eat my calories back if i were that incorrect i'd be gaining weight.
  • heybales
    Options
    what do you work out besides me or something? because if you did you'd know that your post was incorrect. i keep my heart rate between 130-150 ALL THE TIME when i lift because i dont really take breaks besides racking and unracking which is still pretty much a workout . also,130-150 to me is not anaerobic since it's a heart rate that i can sustain for more than an hour.

besides that since i eat my calories back if i were that incorrect i'd be gaining weight.

That's totally valid then.
    And nothing in my post was wrong then was it. is your workout steady-state aerobic, or non-steady state anaerobic. You didn't meet the conditions of what I was talking about. Don't get offended so quickly on something that obviously doesn't even apply.

And that is not weight lifting - which is anaerobic, and a fully loaded muscle workout. The body's response to that overload is microtears, the response to that is repairing stronger.

If you never rest, you can't do that because your muscle is tired. The body's response to that is some strength increase, though not as much as true lifting would give you, and increasing glucose stores for better handling the endurance aspect you are asking for.

You are doing a cardio workout with a strength training component to it. Like a whole lot of classes do.
    You will get stronger from it, and better endurance. It's a good workout.

But it is not weight lifting with the same effects on the body.
    The facts still stand as to HRM formula for calorie burn not being valid for weight lifting. You just had the wrong thought as to what weight lifting means, that's all.
  • kulaid813
    kulaid813 Posts: 21
    Options
    I seriously doubt that anything is exact when it comes to losing weight. Calories are estimated on machines and on this site and HRM's aren't always precise either. Everyone burns differently depending on numerous factors. I have lost over 1000 calories in a single work out in the gym on plenty of occasions but it was a lot (2 hrs +) of intense non-stop working.
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    I seriously doubt that anything is exact when it comes to losing weight. Calories are estimated on machines and on this site and HRM's aren't always precise either. Everyone burns differently depending on numerous factors. I have lost over 1000 calories in a single work out in the gym on plenty of occasions but it was a lot (2 hrs +) of intense non-stop working.

^^^ very true.
    there is no need to be anal about all of this. It is all guess work. Basically, just get the results (weight loss if tjhat is your goal) and enjoy. If you calculated a 3500 calories burned and and you don't eat them back and you lost a pound, then you may have calculated right, but whio gives a flying rats ...... You lost the weight is all that really matters. forget all these anal people on here doubting everything and everyone and assuming everyone does every thing wrong except them.
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i was ECSTATIC for burning 650 cal in 75 minutes. And i PUSHED. I was at 180+ bpm heart rate almost the entire time and still only managed to burn 650 cal. I see people in my feed burning 1000-1200 cal in 65-75 minutes. HOW?!

If you are able to do this, could you please tell me your work out regiment? Ex. Treadmill @ 5.5mph for 45 min, or jump roping, etc.

I know everyone burns differently, but id like to get an idea of other peoples workouts who are able to produce such amazing numbers!!

Thanks! :)

Yesterday, I ate WAY too many sweets and was going out to eat that evening, and really wanted to have a meal that was at 1500 calories... ouch, what I eat in a day! Now, I follow a calorie calculator that I've found to be quite accurate on Runner's World - http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator. It does an intense breakdown for running/quick walking (4.0mph is a 15 minute mile walking), which doesn't pay attention to intensity or anything like that, basically whether you run 2 miles in 18 minutes or walk them in 30 minutes, it comes out to the same amount, because you burn X amount per mile, according to the calculator (which is supposedly "specially built for running"), so to make up for that bad food yesterday, I had to walk/run 12 miles. I did a lot of walking with some running at a fast pace thrown in (my regiment was like 2 songs quick walking at 4.0mph, 1 song running at 6.5mph or 7mph), and it took me TWO HOURS and 13 minutes. I don't see how there's a way to burn that many calories in an hour unless you're working hard and quite overweight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i was ECSTATIC for burning 650 cal in 75 minutes. And i PUSHED. I was at 180+ bpm heart rate almost the entire time and still only managed to burn 650 cal. I see people in my feed burning 1000-1200 cal in 65-75 minutes. HOW?!

If you are able to do this, could you please tell me your work out regiment? Ex. Treadmill @ 5.5mph for 45 min, or jump roping, etc.

I know everyone burns differently, but id like to get an idea of other peoples workouts who are able to produce such amazing numbers!!

Yesterday, I ate WAY too many sweets and was going out to eat that evening, and really wanted to have a meal that was at 1500 calories... ouch, what I eat in a day! Now, I follow a calorie calculator that I've found to be quite accurate on Runner's World - http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator. It does an intense breakdown for running/quick walking (4.0mph is a 15 minute mile walking), which doesn't pay attention to intensity or anything like that, basically whether you run 2 miles in 18 minutes or walk them in 30 minutes, it comes out to the same amount, because you burn X amount per mile, according to the calculator (which is supposedly "specially built for running"), so to make up for that bad food yesterday, I had to walk/run 12 miles. I did a lot of walking with some running at a fast pace thrown in (my regiment was like 2 songs quick walking at 4.0mph, 1 song running at 6.5mph or 7mph), and it took me TWO HOURS and 13 minutes. I don't see how there's a way to burn that many calories in an hour unless you're working hard and quite overweight.

100kg body weight + running 10 min/mile pace = 1000 kcal/hr.
  • charleneagilmore
    charleneagilmore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks responded to this already, but here's my secret.

Don't believe a HR monitor, GPS thingie, treadmill, whatever...

Rule of thumb: if you are exerting yourself- HR up, sweating, whatever, then you'll probably burn about 100 calls per every 10 min. So, 600 cals per hr is pretty normal. When I want 1,000 cals, then I plan to work out 1 hr and 40 min.

Keep it simple- and within the realms of physics and physiology :)
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    In general MFP vastly overestimates how many calories are burned in a workout. For more accurate numbers calculate your BMR per hour and then find Metabolic Equivalent Task tables online. Then you multiply your BMR x MET and you'll get a closer estimate of calories burned per hour of a given exercise. (Example - my BMR is 158 per hour, the Metabolic equivalent for weight lifting is 3.0. So lifting weights for an hour will burn 474 calories and 237 for a half an hour). When I burn 1000+ calories it's because I've gone outside and ran 10+ miles. Running, in general, will burn about 100 calories per mile.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/18303-calculate-calories-burned/

Thanks that is something to use until I am able to get HRM!!!!
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options

100kg body weight + running 10 min/mile pace = 1000 kcal/hr.

See, but according to the calculator I use, pace is irrelevant! It's mileage that matters, according to Runner's World.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    Today for me I did 85 minutes of cardio and just logged it through here. 900 something calories burned.

I bust my *kitten* while I'm there. I need to invest in a HRM like a few of you mentioned.
  • TheBunnyStrange
    TheBunnyStrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can burn around 800 calories in an hour on the treadmill if I work at the highest incline setting!
  • kastlekonmama2012
    kastlekonmama2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree that it usually is an overestimation of calories burned...Sounds good when you are entering it in but I would much rather have a realistic estimation.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My secret is a gross overestimation by the MFP calorie calculator.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yeah the more weight you lose/better shape you're in, the fewer calories you burn at the same exercise intensity. however, i agree with most people in here. Get a hrm. when I use the treadmill at home, it always claims i burned an extra 100-200 calories that my hrm does not account for.....plus, the treadmill doesn't constantly monitor your heart rate....it just guesstimates. lol