Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Options

Replies

• strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Got loads of bodyfat to burn and fit enough to push hard for an extended time. :laugh: I'd much rather be thin, having to exercise longer to burn the same amount of calories. Sweet trade-off, I think!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    My secret? I'm fat and I push myself hard when I workout. My HRM estimates I burn more considerably more calories than MFP estimates. To balance it out, I always go with MFP's lower estimate.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    What is the secret to burning 1000+ cal per workout? Well I keep the breaks between set as short as possible. I keep the breaks between exercises as short as possible. I use proper form on every exercise that I do. I lift as heavy as possible while remaining within appropriate and safe ranges.

Injury will negatively impact training just as bad as anything else. I warm up and I cool down. I stretch before and after. I always keep safety in mind while trying to make efficient use of my time while in the gym. I can normally break 1000+ calories burned not counting any after burn.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    In my case it's my weight, the workouts that I choose, and the amount of time. At least when it comes to swimming (which I always list as "light" effort) I have cross-referenced against other sites and a HRM and the numbers I get are fairly accurate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    yeah the more weight you lose/better shape you're in, the fewer calories you burn at the same exercise intensity. however, i agree with most people in here. Get a hrm. when I use the treadmill at home, it always claims i burned an extra 100-200 calories that my hrm does not account for.....plus, the treadmill doesn't constantly monitor your heart rate....it just guesstimates. lol

If the treadmill has you enter your weight, there is better accuracy with that than HRM.

Treadmill's have been used for years along with actual measurements of energy use (HRM is merely calculating, not measuring), so the formulas that treadmills can use are more accurate than HRM's.

HRM is more of a guesstimate, especially the cheaper ones.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Here's study of a not cheaper one, and 30% off for the ladies.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

But use your treadmill and test yours.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm an idiot...I kept trying to figure out what you guys meant by logging it through MFP...hahahah :laugh:

I always just edit the calories MFP says to what my HRM says I burned
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The only time I burn 1000-1200 calories is when I'm running 10-12 miles. But that takes me a lot longer than 60 minutes. :)

But I will say that my calorie burns per mile did get lower the more I ran (overtime, not distance wise). Running even just 20 pounds heavier and not in as in shape, I would actually burn closer to 125-140 calories per mile, even at a slower pace.

So if someone is really heavy, and really pushing it to work out, it is mildly plausible that they could burn 1000 calories in 60 minutes.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yeah the more weight you lose/better shape you're in, the fewer calories you burn at the same exercise intensity. however, i agree with most people in here. Get a hrm. when I use the treadmill at home, it always claims i burned an extra 100-200 calories that my hrm does not account for.....plus, the treadmill doesn't constantly monitor your heart rate....it just guesstimates. lol

If the treadmill has you enter your weight, there is better accuracy with that than HRM.

Treadmill's have been used for years along with actual measurements of energy use (HRM is merely calculating, not measuring), so the formulas that treadmills can use are more accurate than HRM's.

HRM is more of a guesstimate, especially the cheaper ones.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Here's study of a not cheaper one, and 30% off for the ladies.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

But use your treadmill and test yours.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Interesting!! That just makes me feel better about my workouts :drinker: haha
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Running between 9-10 miles at an 8 min pace gets me a 1000-ish
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    1 hour of running at 7 mph. Or 7 miles in 60 minutes with an average heart rate of 161=1,017 kcals 6' male 202#

EDIT: ^^ Was from HRM below is from Runners World Calculator;
    Distance:

7 miles

Duration:

60:00

Pace:

8:34 / mile

Calories Burned:

Calorie Burn Rates:

152.77 / mile
    1,069.4 / hour
    17.82/ minute
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I only burn that much when I have a VERY active day, including an hour of :heart: Zumba:heart: and 45 mins to an hour of elliptical. I also don't always believe what I see.

Regarding Zumba, those that use the check-in app sometimes assume that they really did burn the 650 calories that it donates without using a HRM. However, every instructor is different. If you have one that lets you take breaks between songs or you stop every other song to get water, you are definitely not burning all those calories. My instructor makes us do jumping jacks, squats, ruuning in place, or whatever you can between songs. Well she doesn't "make" us...we *want* to. :smile:
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i was ECSTATIC for burning 650 cal in 75 minutes. And i PUSHED. I was at 180+ bpm heart rate almost the entire time and still only managed to burn 650 cal. I see people in my feed burning 1000-1200 cal in 65-75 minutes. HOW?!

If you are able to do this, could you please tell me your work out regiment? Ex. Treadmill @ 5.5mph for 45 min, or jump roping, etc.

I've been walking for 40 minutes @6-8%incline, between 3 and 3.5mph, max HR about 160, avg about 140.

My Digifit with an HRM give me a burn of around 725-750 the last couple days. Digifit's a bit higher number than the treadmill's display, though they use the same HR feed.

ETA: Interesting. Plugged in my numbers at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html and that looks like what the treadmill showed me. So much for this being straightforward.
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    Here is my secret - when playing a round of golf (approx. 4 hours) I can burn upwards to 1500 cals; swimming laps for about 90 minutes would also put me over 1000 cals; biking for an hour and a half would put me over the mark, as well.

I rely on my HRM for my caloric burn. The database & the equipment at the gym have proven to be unreliable.

Let me know if you are searching for any workout plans...
  • gpdaddy59
    gpdaddy59 Posts: 5
    Options
    OK, I'm burning calories at that rate, but I don't exercise that long. I use a Nordic Trac elliptical machine and watch the display. I make sure the hourly rate stays between 800 and 1200 calories per hour. I do 20-30 minutes in the morning and 20-30 minutes about an hour after dinner. My heart rate stays between 150 and 180 BPM. Doing two workouts a day keeps my metabolic rate higher for a longer period of time and helps me burn more calories while I sleep. I started doing the "two-a-days" just recently and have seen a big boost in my weight loss rate (as well as my endorphin levels). I also use a Bowflex Strength routine 3 days a week. Granted, the total for the day only reaches about 600 calories, but then again, I'm not staying on the machine for over an hour and the Bowflex routines have no "documented" rate of calorie burn.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think it is a combination of;
    1. I think the heavier you are, the harder you have to work, the more cals you burn
    2. MyFitnessPal seems to have inaccurate calorie counts in the system- use a HRM

This is Spot on! I strongly suggest a Heart Rate Monitor. MFP was telling me 1 hour boot camp was burning 1300+ My HRM says 700-900 cals. I am losing weight again as well because I am not eating back so many calories.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    99% of them aren't, the ap tends to overestimate calories burned, as well as people tending to overestimate their exertion levels.

Exactly. For example yesterday I ran on the tredmill for 40 min and burned 330 calories. When I put it into MFP it had the calories around 450. MFP is wonderful but it inflates calories on workouts so if you don't wear a HRM then I would suggest lowering their calories 25% or so to make sure you don't overeat too many calories. GOOD LUCK!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My secret is that there's no secret.......it's a matter of time and intensity. In my case mostly time, for example today commuting to and from work by bike (19km each way) will probably account for 1,200 cal; longer Sunday runs can easily exceed 1,000 cal (during the week my shorter runs are below).
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i was ECSTATIC for burning 650 cal in 75 minutes. And i PUSHED. I was at 180+ bpm heart rate almost the entire time and still only managed to burn 650 cal. I see people in my feed burning 1000-1200 cal in 65-75 minutes. HOW?!

If you are able to do this, could you please tell me your work out regiment? Ex. Treadmill @ 5.5mph for 45 min, or jump roping, etc.

I know everyone burns differently, but id like to get an idea of other peoples workouts who are able to produce such amazing numbers!!

Thanks! :)

I have friends on mfp like this too with one specifically burning 1000+ calories every day! She said she splits it up. I almost netted 1000 yesterday but I took a kickboxing class, weight trained, and did 20 min of interval training throughout the day. Needless to say I am tired today! You will have to do some pretty intensive cardio to hit that level daily unless you're pretty large. I also have another friend on here that wears a heart rate monitor to work and she works with kids so by the end of the 8 hour workday she is well over 1000+ calories.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My secret is that there's no secret.......it's a matter of time and intensity. In my case mostly time, for example today commuting to and from work by bike (19km each way) will probably account for 1,200 cal; longer Sunday runs can easily exceed 1,000 cal (during the week my shorter runs are below).

No. This is EXACTLY. Want to burn more carlories doing an activity heres the trick:

1) Weigh More
    2) Get your Heart Rate UP

Im 210lbs and need to avg around 160bps for an hour to burn 1000 calories. So if you are 150lbs and avg 130 and calculating 1000, then I would say you are overestimating.

Its all about how large you are and how intense you go. (another thing the OP and other posters are also overlooking are the thermogenic or other metabolic effects that different types of workouts give you.....MEANING how many calories that are still being burned AFTER you stop working out. )
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    99% of them aren't, the ap tends to overestimate calories burned, as well as people tending to overestimate their exertion levels.

Exactly. For example yesterday I ran on the tredmill for 40 min and burned 330 calories. When I put it into MFP it had the calories around 450. MFP is wonderful but it inflates calories on workouts so if you don't wear a HRM then I would suggest lowering their calories 25% or so to make sure you don't overeat too many calories. GOOD LUCK!

If you think MFP over inflates, so does your treadmill. My HRM has been pretty accurate and faithful to me since I have owned it. One day I decided to hope on the elliptical for a casual stroll. About the same thing happened that you experienced. HRM said I burned 300, elliptical said I burned 460. Good Luck with your treadmill!