Hey, how about if you don't read someone's diary...

Options

Replies

• jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    As soon as it says "was under their calorie goal" everyone puts good job. We shouldn't be under it though - we should be on it or a little above probably since we are all already on a deficit to begin with.

If I see someone not eating enough or missing out meals I usually comment on it.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I usually comment without reading the diary. I'm sure the majority of people are this way.

say-what.gif
  • dolphinie13
    dolphinie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :smile: I really wish there was a like button on this thing.
  • dolphinie13
    dolphinie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So people are actually trolling other people's food diary? This is why I turned off my "...completed her food diary..." autoposts. If it isn't in their newfeed, they aren't going to comment.

Of course we're trolling through our friends' food diaries. That's one of the points in having friends on MFP! I like to get yummy food ideas from others, especially when I'm feeling in a food rut.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I usually comment without reading the diary. I'm sure the majority of people are this way.

say-what.gif

^^^^ this face ^^^^
    I read the diary before I comment !! Otherwise I'm just lying and that's as bad as lying to myself!! If I don't have time to read the diary then I'm not commenting !! I don't want to be the one driving someone down the wrong path because I'm afraid to say the truth ... I'm certainly not going to demean anyone but kudos to MCDONALD'S is not cool !!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree. Plus I find it very discouraging since I'm relatively new here, to see someone eating 500-700 calories net when I am on a 1600 calorie budget... Kinda makes me feel like I'm still eating like a pig. I do know some who have lost literally hundreds of pounds "the right way" and are working towards that last 15 or 20, so I guess it makes sense in certain situations for short periods of time? And yes, my diary is open & I look at other's diaries for meal ideas and motivation. I personally can't bring myself to give a big "Woo Hoo! when I see such low calorie counts.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on food diaries, I feel we all have different goals and priorities.

I try to keep my intake around 1700 minimum and if I am hungry up to 2200 depending on the day. My net can at times be too low for a variety of reasons one being my daily activity varies greatly and some days such as weekends I eat less because even though I may have exercised and burned 600+ calories I sat on my butte the rest of the day so eating back my exercise calories in that situation is not a good idea. On a regular day I take around 14000+ steps, if my steps are under 8000 I know even though I exercised I need to eat less, but you wouldn't know that was my reason unless you asked.

Happy weight loss everyone!:drinker:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not exactly sure the reason anyone would want to look at another person's diary unless someone is asking for help. But I see people comment, and post stuff like, "Awesome Lunch" and I just don't get it. What the fascination about what people eat everyday? I understand if the person posted, "That was the best donut I've ever had!!!," but just completing a day of logging should require any sort of cheering section. IMHO

If I post about not losing and you want to see my diary to see if I'm reaching my goals, logging consistently, just adding "quick calories" 5 outta 7 days, yeah that makes sense. Aside from that, I don't see the attraction.

If you were to look at my diary, it's 98% accurate 90% of the time. But there are times and there are those days where logging and I are just not going to be on speaking terms...but...I still know what I ate, and the approximate damage I've done.
  • LittleHungryGurl
    LittleHungryGurl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So people are actually trolling other people's food diary? This is why I turned off my "...completed her food diary..." autoposts. If it isn't in their newfeed, they aren't going to comment.

Think I'll do the same
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    DON'T comment "great job!"... I'm tired of seeing comments of that nature, then I look at the diary and the person only ate 500 calories that day. :noway: Wtf? How the hell is that a good job? STOP encouraging eating disorders! If you aren't going to take the time to at least glance at the diary... just don't comment. :explode:

Ok, rant over. Carry on. :wink:

From time to time, I post on my wall that when it is evening in my time zone, I do not read food journals.

I do post a positive remark if a person is under. But I tell my peeps that I can't read them at night because it makes me hungry and I battle night time eating. I hope that they understand.

I post this little disclaimer so that new friends understand that i don't read diaries at night, but I still like to be supportive. I don't go back and read them in the day or I would be on the computer all day.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How about you just unfriend the person who's offending you? Or unfriending the person who eats so little that their friends comments offend you? Job done!

And then people get on you for being 'mean' and caring too much about what people eat and not being supportive/a good friend. Been there, done that.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I rarely even close out my diary. So it doesn't post on my feed, and I don't get the annoying message that I'll be two pounds heavier in 5 weeks.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I especially hate this when the person they do this to is HONESTLY and publicly battling eating disorder and has to gain weight.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I rarely even close out my diary. So it doesn't post on my feed, and I don't get the annoying message that I'll be two pounds heavier in 5 weeks.

You can make it so that doesn't post on your feed.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

ummmmmm

no.

why would you comment without looking?

This.

What are you commenting on if you haven't looked at their diary. I've commented on without looking if they have a closed diary, but that's on a very rare occasion. If it's open, you should look so you know what the heck is going on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    DON'T comment "great job!"... I'm tired of seeing comments of that nature, then I look at the diary and the person only ate 500 calories that day. :noway: Wtf? How the hell is that a good job? STOP encouraging eating disorders! If you aren't going to take the time to at least glance at the diary... just don't comment. :explode:

Ok, rant over. Carry on. :wink:

Maybe their goal is 500. Perhaps they've had weight loss surgery or are on some Dr. supervised low calorie diet.

If YOU don't want to comment, then don't. It's not your place to tell the rest of us what to do.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't always read diaries. When I do it is to get an idea for different meals or I'm trying to figure out what I might be doing something wrong.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I stopped closing mine out too. It seems silly. But I sometimes read and comment on my MFP friends diaries when they close them.
  • slowlow1
    slowlow1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that a lot of people post encouraging comments for people who come in under their calorie goal. I thought that the goal was to at least eat at your net calorie goal. I think that so many of us have learned that food is bad and that is why eating under your goal is looked upon as a great thing. Hopefully this post will enlighten some people.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes! This is a pet peeve of mine too. Sometimes the remarks remind me of those horrible pro-ana sites that are used to fuel budding eating disorders.

500 calories today....Boy those 5 peas really filled me up - "awesome!"
    I had explosive diarrhea and lost 5lbs - "great job!"
    Looks like I have an eating disorder but hell ... I met my goal weight of 92lbs! - "so jealous!"