July Cycling Challenge 2013

Options

Replies

• gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :). I just found this thread and just started road biking this summer. Hubby is a road warrior and loves it. We are from Southwestern Ontario so we can only bike for about 1/2 the year (or less!). I am so surprised on how much I LOVE to bike now. We have some very nice places around (the escarpment and Rattlesnake hill!) and is quite beautiful. Currently I am only able to get out about 1 or 2 times a week for 25 to 37 KM each. So I guess my goal for July would be 150 kms for July. I usually try to keep a cadence between 85 and 90. I do Les Mills Body Pump and Flow classes well. Hubby started doing those classes with me a few months ago (daughter is old enough now to watch the boys :)).

I was hoping to get out today but it is raining :(.

Good luck everyone and I am happy to find this thread!
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    12 miles 7/3

Karen
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    My husband is home for the holiday so I was able to go out alone without worrying about being unreachable. I made it 24.1 miles. I haven't been on a ride like that in at least 7 or 8 months. I forgot how much it takes out of me. I intend to lay down groaning for the next half hour or so.

34.9 miles so far this month.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! We recently got bikes with my husband.. He hates all types of exercise and we finally found the one he loves and the one I have decidedly fallen in love with! I feel like a little kid in my new bike. The first day I rode it I had a huge grin and everybody kept looking at me. =) I am in love with biking so let's track and see how far we can get!

I know how you feel :) Two years ago when I got my new bike (my first in decades!) I wanted to sleep with it, lol. like a little kid after Christmas morn.

My hubs and I have mountain bikes and a stationary bike, so actual mileage will look puny next to all the road warriors. Plus we're old. We try to ride every week or two and get in over 20 miles, but sometimes we don't make it that far (it's been super hot out.) In addition to biking I take a boot camp class 2X/week, hike when I can, and do lots of strengthening exercises for my poor knees. I hope this challenge encourages us to get out there more often and to go farther!

July totals so far:

16 miles outside
    5 miles ? inside
  • gonesewing
    Options
    It stopped raining and dried up (yay!) so we were able to get out for a ride.

54 minutes, 24.2 KM, 524 cals, avg hr 142, max hr 168.

125.8 KM left to goal :).
  • zareeuh
    zareeuh Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi All!
    Im new here. Im a beginner cyclist. My husband and I just started this year. We have two young children who we often pull in trailers. We started off with one trailer and it was so difficult so we bought another one. We bring out girls to the park a couple times a week if weather permits. And we also take the bikes out separately two - three times a week to increase our distance riding Plus, its rough when our three year old, NEVER stops asking, if we are almost there, how much longer, blah blah blah.. haha.... So far, we have gone, 21, 22, and 12 miles this month. We have our first duathlon this Sunday so we most likely wont be taking thebikes out until then.! Im pretty excited! My husband is doing the triathlon. The bike is 12 miles, which isn't far at all. I really need to increase my timings. Im averaging about 16-17mph on my roadbike, but myhusband is 19-20mph. Its just a pain in the but since we live near a lake, and we get wicked winds... Anyways, Id like to join in on this cycling challenge for the month of July. Itll help keep me accountable. Im also doing Focus T25 and running. Im looking forward to reading all the posts!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 5 miles outside.
    7/2 - 5 miles outside.
    7/3 - Rest day.
    7/4 - 0

MTD 10 miles.
    Goal is 100 miles.
    Remaining is 90 miles.
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am back in for July. Setting another small goal since it has been very hot here lately.

July goal 50 miles all stationary

7/4- 4.5 miles (20 mins)

exercise.png
  • CricketKate
    Options
    7.7 miles this morning

exercise.png
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    7/4 rest
    7/5: 30 miles 1.5 hours
    Total to date: 68.5 miles

Tour de France is inspiring me! Pedal on safely, friends
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Got all 3 rides in this week and going to try to get outside for a few miles this weekend!

July Goal: 150 miles indoors, 25 miles outdoors
    July Miles to Date: 35 miles indoors

July 5---18.5 mi stationary (85 min)
    July 3----10 mi stationary (45 min)
    July 1----6.5 mi stationary (30 min)
  • sajeffe
    Options
    7/1 - 5 miles outside.
    7/2 - 5 miles outside.
    7/3 - Rest day.
    7/4 - 0
    7/5 - 3 miles stationary.

MTD 13 miles.
    Goal is 100 miles.
    Remaining is 87 miles.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    7/2---2.6 miles
    7/3--3.3 miles
    7/4 rest
    7/5 2.8 miles
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    8.5 miles for today.

Karen
  • CricketKate
    Options
    29.3 miles this morning. That was my longest ride ever.
  • kryten83
    kryten83 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Got a new bike on Friday, first time cycling for about 8 years. First impressions - wow I'm flying along, this is great. Then I hit a tiny little slope and went flying down the gears onto the granny ring, just trying to keep momentum. Managed to get over the top before I hit 27th gear but only just. Maybe I should have eased into it but I was feeling like Sir Bradley.

Managed 5 or 6 miles in the end (forget to turn on Endomondo on my phone). Maybe the Etape will have to wait till next year..
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my bike- DH got it for me 11 years ago. I never really quit bicycling from when I was a kid- inn fact, I bicycled through my entire pregnancy, including the night before I had DS in 1984.

I'm seriously thinking about doing a 38-mile segment of the MS 100 in September. I've never gone that distance but 20 miles is normal for me on a weekend. I'm off for 4 days because of July 4, and so far I did 20 miles Thursday, 21 yesterday and 18.5 today. I'll see how far I get tomorrow. During the week I'll be back to hour-long cardio workouts in the company gym.

Yesterday I looked up the course for RAGBRAI (the annual ride across Iowa, a nearby state). It runs about 50 miles a day for a week. Ummm, no, I think that's somewhere beyond my limits.
  • gonesewing
    Options
    2nd ride this month:

Distance: 37.7 km
    Duration: 1:45
    Cal est via HRM: 994
    Avg HR: 140
    Max HR: 167
  • sajeffe
    Options