Opinions on HIGH fat, MODERATE protein, LOW carb diet!

Options

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It`s a great plan. Just be carefull to avoid trans fats.

Sorry, I choose not to listen to that old Willett and Nestle crap. Just politics.

1957. "The American Heart Association first proposes that reducing dietary fats, namely saturated fats found in foods like butter and beef, can reduce the chance of getting heart disease."

1984."Consumer advocacy groups campaign against using saturated fat for frying in fast-food restaurants.

In response, most fast-food companies begin using partially hydrogenated oils containing trans fat instead of beef tallow and tropical oils high in saturated fats."

Guess what happened next?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, it's wonderful. My body feels the best on this kind of program. I can eat more, feel great, and I have NEVER gained a single pound while eating this way, regardless of caloric intake. It's rather amazing, the science behind it. As long as my carbs are miniscule the weight always either drops or maintains.

So this is my lifestyle. I eat this way to prevent some of the horrors that I watched family members endure at the hands of a high carbohydrate (even when paired with low fat) way of eating.

And another plus is that it's saved me from having to undertake the dreaded tedium of food logging and calorie counting.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Before anyone starts a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet I suggest you do some research first and not just jump in...
    It's a complete life style change. 3 phases to know: induction, maintaining, and refeeds...

Is there a source you would recommend with reliable information?

Guide taken from bodybuilding.com, but this person simplified it in their blog to make it more user friendly.

http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks PubRider :) Yes I will make sure to keep the fats I use healthy! The thing is, I read that protein can also be turned into glucose, and fat can't, so by upping the fat and lowering protein, your body would more efficiently use your body fat for fuel :)

Too bad fat loss isn't significantly different between low carb/keto diets and higher carb diets holding cals and protein constant.

Maybe. In studies where subjects where not restricted on calories found that a high fat diet was more successful for naturally eating less then a high carb diet which in turn resulted in better weight loss success. I don't know what study you are referring to but I have read more then one where there was significant difference in weightloss between HFLC and LFHC.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The only study I go by is from the results im getting. Been doing a keto diet now for almost 4.5 months and still going strong.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is encouraging. Do you feel like you are losing a lot of muscle mass?

No, there is adequate protein to be muscle sparing as long as you get at least 20% of your nutrition from protein, which most people do.

Wouldn't that depend on the grams of protein consumed, rather than a percent?
  • ngyoung
    Options
    Thanks PubRider :) Yes I will make sure to keep the fats I use healthy! The thing is, I read that protein can also be turned into glucose, and fat can't, so by upping the fat and lowering protein, your body would more efficiently use your body fat for fuel :)

Too bad fat loss isn't significantly different between low carb/keto diets and higher carb diets holding cals and protein constant.

Maybe. In studies where subjects where not restricted on calories found that a high fat diet was more successful for naturally eating less then a high carb diet which in turn resulted in better weight loss success. I don't know what study you are referring to but I have read more then one where there was significant difference in weightloss between HFLC and LFHC.

Here is one blog I follow that sites 2 studies that show advantages of LC diet. The title of the post is meant to be ironic:
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2012/06/28/a-possible-metabolic-advantage-but-it-will-kill-you/
  • ngyoung
    Options
    Picture2.png
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Picture2.png

Who is this based on? 80g of carbs look very different to a 5'0 female and a 6'2" male
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Picture2.png

I've read The Primal Blueprint, I read Mark's Daily Apple for a while but I can tell you that the carbohydrate curve featured is the biggest load of BS you could ever see.

I've even got a Grok t-shirt to prove my folly.

Really, you don't have to believe this bunch of words spouted by a random bod on t'internet ... :)
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I was thinking about experimenting with a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet, following some reading I've been doing regarding fat loss. Any opinions / experiences / success or fail stories out there?
    Thank you
    (This was one of the many articles I read, I think its the best one, I'll just add it here in case anyone is curious enough.
    http://second-opinions.ginwiz.com/lnk000/=www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html/ )

If youre eating at a caloric deficit for the day, you will lose weight regardless of your macro breakdown.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I was thinking about experimenting with a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet, following some reading I've been doing regarding fat loss. Any opinions / experiences / success or fail stories out there?
    Thank you
    (This was one of the many articles I read, I think its the best one, I'll just add it here in case anyone is curious enough.
    http://second-opinions.ginwiz.com/lnk000/=www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html/ )

If youre eating at a caloric deficit for the day, you will lose weight regardless of your macro breakdown.

Yes, that's true. Then again, the breakdown of your macros can help influence loss of bodyfat over LBM.
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Interesting debate. Still figuring out what works for me. In to follow the thread.
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    I don’t recommend it. Aim for a healthy, balanced diet instead. One-half of the plate is non-starchy veggies, one-quarter of the plate is starch (whole grains the best choice) and the other quarter is lean protein. Fruit and nonfat/low fat dairy are outside the plate. Prepare food in a healthy manner such as baking, grilling, roasting and steaming. Limit concentrated sweets and high fat items. And exercise a minimum of 30 minutes most days of the week.

Visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietician.com at www.fastfoodvindication.com, on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Thank you

Yes, that's true. Then again, the breakdown of your macros can help influence loss of bodyfat over LBM.

It can also help with one's ability to stick to a given caloric allotment. It can be a lot easier to eat 1500 calories with HFLC than with LFHC.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    for those eating high fat like butter, full fat milk, etc. - my question is -

What about the thing the doctors tell us about clogging our arteries with all this fat? I understand that comes from too much saturated fat.

so i dont get how people can claim this is a good thing. Please explain.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

What about the thing the doctors tell us about clogging our arteries with all this fat? I understand that comes from too much saturated fat.

Saturated fat doesn't clog arteries? How CAN a saturated fat clog anything at human body temperature?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Saturated fat doesn't clog arteries? How CAN a saturated fat clog anything at human body temperature?

This (at least for the humor).

Ever handle coconut oil? It's 92% saturated fat, and guess what? It has a melting point of about 70 degrees.

That said, it's pretty simple - the evidence doesn't actually link saturated fat intake to athlerosclerosis (clogged arteries). The vast majority of that whole thing is based on Ancel Keyes's 7 Countries Study, which was highly, highly, cherry-picked (like, he only used the countries that had a less fat = less CVD correlation and ignored the 21 others that didn't show such a correlation and in some cases showed the opposite correlation of more fat = less CVD).

In reality, our ancestors in many places ate as much as 90% of calories from fat, most of which from animal sources. This puts their saturated fat values in the ballpark of 25-30% of total calorie intake (as opposed to the current recommendations of less than 10%). (source: http://www.gnolls.org/715/ )

Also, check out the so-called Inuit Paradox - on their ancestral diet of pretty much just arctic animals (OMG! Nearly all fat!), they have a significantly lower rate of CVD than on a modern diet. You also see this in the Australian Aboriginal population, and the so-called "French Paradox".

Ironically, Stearic Acid, one of the most saturated of saturated fatty acids, has neutral to positive impact on serum levels. Several of the other fatty acids, such as Lauric, Myristic, and Palmitic, have been linked to higher LDL, but an improved HDL to LDL ratio (and evidence is starting to show that it's the ratio more than the raw number that's important, because HDL acts as a garbage collector for the LDL).
  • ngyoung
    Options

Ever handle coconut oil? It's 92% saturated fat, and guess what? It has a melting point of about 70 degrees.

That said, it's pretty simple - the evidence doesn't actually link saturated fat intake to athlerosclerosis (clogged arteries). The vast majority of that whole thing is based on Ancel Keyes's 7 Countries Study, which was highly, highly, cherry-picked (like, he only used the countries that had a less fat = less CVD correlation and ignored the 21 others that didn't show such a correlation and in some cases showed the opposite correlation of more fat = less CVD).

In reality, our ancestors in many places ate as much as 90% of calories from fat, most of which from animal sources. This puts their saturated fat values in the ballpark of 25-30% of total calorie intake (as opposed to the current recommendations of less than 10%). (source: http://www.gnolls.org/715/ )

Also, check out the so-called Inuit Paradox - on their ancestral diet of pretty much just arctic animals (OMG! Nearly all fat!), they have a significantly lower rate of CVD than on a modern diet. You also see this in the Australian Aboriginal population, and the so-called "French Paradox".

Ironically, Stearic Acid, one of the most saturated of saturated fatty acids, has neutral to positive impact on serum levels. Several of the other fatty acids, such as Lauric, Myristic, and Palmitic, have been linked to higher LDL, but an improved HDL to LDL ratio (and evidence is starting to show that it's the ratio more than the raw number that's important, because HDL acts as a garbage collector for the LDL).

Our bodies store energy as saturated fat. It is no different then eating saturated fat or when your body is burning it's own body fat. Once it releases it to be consumed it is metabolized the same regardless of the source. With the latest cholesterol testing researchers have also found that even though sat. fat can raise cholesterol it raises the good HDL and the harmless large puffy sized LDL pattern.

So many doctors still fixate on total cholesterol and calculated LDL numbers. The standard screening doesn't even actually measure LDL. It is estimated based on your total-HDL-(trigs*5). For most high fat low carbers their trigs are under 100 and having it under 100 can also throw off the calculator to overestimate your actual LDL. Having high HDL and low trigs is usually a good sign that your LDL is prominently the large puffy harmless type. There is also a very recent study that found a stronger link to your trig/hdl ratio being a stronger indicator of heart decease then LDL levels. Having a ratio of trigs/hdl=>2 is healthy. Above 2 and it is high risk for heart decease.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Agreed. I aim for 75-80% fat each day.