Do men secretly want a more traditional housewife?

Options

Replies

• jenniferwren
    jenniferwren Posts: 189
    Options
    I would love to be a traditional house wife! no job! sounds perfect lol ... but I'd like a rich hubby so I could also have a maid

This!! :laugh:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    We in 2013 , people need jobs . Hire a maid haha

I still prefer traditional housewife vibe . My lady must take care of me while i bring in the moola.
  • Crossfit112
    Crossfit112 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Traditional
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Maids are over rated. I'd rather do it myself, but she comes with the apartment.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Saint in the kitchen and a *kitten* in the bedroom... that about sums it up I think for most unenlightened men.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That depends, do you secretly just want to make sandwiches and clean all day?

But on a serious note: this question is way too broad. Some men like career women. Some men like timid, quiet women. Some men like wild girls. And some men just want a traditional housewife.

To attempt to answer the question anyway: No, there is no secret, subconscious urge to have a "traditional" housewife.
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I would prefer a 50's traditional housewife.
  • Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    but I'm sure there are plenty of guys who want to be the only one who works and never cook etc.

Sounds like you met my ex-husband :smile:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The Good Wives Guide circa 1950!

A good wife knows her place

Wow....you forget what the expectations were then. It seems like wives were less like "people" and more like robotic hostesses.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It's not a secret. My wife had to pass a whole survey before I married her.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    The Good Wives Guide circa 1950!

Have dinner ready.
    Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.
    Prepare yourself.
    Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
    Clear away clutter.
    Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, papers, etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.
    Over the winter months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
    Prepare the children.
    Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces, comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.
    Minimise all noise.
    At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.
    Be happy to see him.
    Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.
    Listen to him.
    You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the right time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
    Make the evening his.
    Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, and his real need to be at home and relax.
    Your goal.
    Try to make sure that your home is a place of peace and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.
    Don't greet him with complaints and problems.
    Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone throught that day.
    Make him comfortable.
    Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or a warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
    Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is master of the house and as such, will always excercise his will with fairness and truthfulness.
    You have no right to question him.
    A good wife knows her place

I would bet money that this article was written by a man.

duh, like a woman had time to leave the kitchen and write this out let alone think it through....
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I can't say for sure. The Ozzie and Harriet lifestyle has certain appeals but our standard of living pretty much dictates that we both work. It's all a matter of expectations. Secretly I think we all would like something that makes our lives uncomplicated and who wouldn't want a doting significant other to take care of all the humdrum necessities? Back to reality....
  • logicofsound
    Options
    My love knows I'd never give up my career to stay home with kids. Since he's a writer, it wouldn't be as big of an issue for him to be an at home parent as it would for me, and he'd be the better parent in any case. I've always wanted to be the main breadwinner too, because I used to think the only way to prove to a guy I don't care about HIS money is to make more than him. Of course, some guys feel uncomfortable with this, so there really is no winning ^_^'

But I don't think there is some secret subconscious urge to have a 'traditional' woman. After all - when did that tradition start? It's been off and on for millennia, and the role of both women and men in society has also always been in flux. Our desires change as often as the weather...
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I most certainly don't, can't think of anything worse.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    hell yes!
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Who let you out the kitchen? :D
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been married for 26 years and I am definitely the more traditional housewife, but I prefer it that way. He would let me get a job if I wanted to. I have a college degree and used to be a public school teacher. While my two oldest sons were little, I worked very long hours (no, teachers do not work just 7 to 3) and my husband traveled and was not home most of the time. That left me to take care of the boys and the house too. He saw how exhausted I was and asked me to come home until our children were older. I found that I LOVED being a stay-at-home mom, ended up having two more sons (total of 4), decided to homeschool, etc. I found that kids need as much guidance through the teen years as they do when they are younger, although it's a different kind of guidance. My youngest two are now 13 and 11. I've been home for 15 years and wouldn't change a thing. Hubby says he loves that I take such good care of the house and the kids and that when he goes to work, he doesn't have to worry about a thing because I'm so good at what I do. His dinner is prepared most of the time, laundry is always done, house is usually straightened really good and cleaned on a regular basis. In turn, hubby takes care of all the "man chores", is very supportive, and treats me like a princess every day of the year. That makes me want to please him even more.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both work, we both cook and clean. I'm sure he would love it if he could come home to a clean house and a hot meal on the table but I don't think he would trade my salary in for it.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My ex husband thought this way....and now he's my EX husband!!!:wink:

I've since remarried and my husband and I both work and we both cook and clean.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I want a free woman as a wife, not a slave.