Zimmerman vs. Martin

Options

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    This is pathetic thread that should be locked. If it were about God, it would have been stopped 7 pages ago, but since it is about the murder of a black child and yes, 17 is a child. Anyone knows that, it doesn't take a degree to see that. If someone was stopping my son, he would probably not react with roses and flowers.

Get racially profiled because you drive a nice vehicle, live in a decent neighborhood, then come talk to me.

George Zimmerman was wrong, he had no business playing, judge, jury and executioner. Now you can all respond with your nasty snide remarks, I expect it. I see a lot of bigotry and racism here and MFP should be ashamed for letting it continue.

If you feel this strongly about this post - report it.
    It's not 'being continued' just because its about a black child.
    now who's being racist? you brought it up.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I think Zimmerman was overcharged for sure.
    Do I think he committed a crime? Yes. Do I think it's murder? Nope.
    I think that it was sh*tty for NBC News to turn this into a race thing before that day even ended, and because they manipulated Zimmerman's 911 call, they have lost a huge amount of credibility.
    I think that Zimmerman has been characterized as a racist, which I do not believe. Is he a overzealous *kitten* that took the law into his own hands, abso-f'ing-lutely.
    I believe that Al Sharpton is feeding the machine by talking mainly about race.
    I believe that Jesse Jackson is feeding the machine by talking mainly about race.
    I truly believe that if Zimmerman is found not guilty, that there will be riots.

I cannot wait until the day that Jesse and Al are too old to stand on their soapboxes and take advantage of families that are grieving. Wherever there's a camera, a little injustice (warranted or not), and a black mother crying, you will def see one of them standing next to her. Where are they when it comes to black on black crime? WHY DOES THAT NOT MATTER TO THEM???

Where are the rally's, walks, protests...etc, in Chicago?! There were 67 people shot, and 11 of them dead over this July 4th holiday weekend. 67 shot, 11 dead.

As of 7/8/13, there have been 1043 people shot in Chicago. That number would be absolutely ridiculous if it was state wide...but it's just in one city!!

Where are the 'leaders' of the black community'? They'd rather get in front of the camera for 1 dead kid that was shot by a Hispanic guy (yep...he's not white, but the media likes to portray him to be. It makes a better story), than go a bit north to see what they can do to stop the bull$hit that's happening in Chicago. The camera's are in Sanford, FL, not in Chicago, IL.

It is very, very sad what has happened to Trayvon Martin. I have a son, and cannot imagine the hurt the family is going through. But I can't see how anyone that is not sitting in this courtroom, day after day, can say that they hope the verdict goes one way or the other. What is that based on. You only know what you've heard on TV and what has been told to you by the media. The only people that can judge this correctly based on ALL THE FACTS, is the jury.

(me thinks I've probably pissed some people off....so I offer to them, a flower :flowerforyou: )

Wait. Hispanic people can't be white? ...are you sure about that?

Cause I swear the little race boxes say "White, non hispanic" and "Black, non hispanic" which seems to imply you could be, you know, both. Probably because Hispanic *isn't* a race.
  • Pattyo57
    Pattyo57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after Casey Anthony walked... I have lost all faith in the Florida justice system.

This!
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Please tell me why this even matters to any of the people on this board?? Is him being convicted gonna mean a ding dang damn to your day?? Until you are all put into the situation that both of the people were put in you really have no place to judge! Find something else to fill your day! If the man gets off, he gets off; if he is convicted, he is convicted....it won't matter a damn to anyone on this board because it won't affect your life!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    This is pathetic thread that should be locked. If it were about God, it would have been stopped 7 pages ago, but since it is about the murder of a black child and yes, 17 is a child. Anyone knows that, it doesn't take a degree to see that. If someone was stopping my son, he would probably not react with roses and flowers.

Get racially profiled because you drive a nice vehicle, live in a decent neighborhood, then come talk to me.

George Zimmerman was wrong, he had no business playing, judge, jury and executioner. Now you can all respond with your nasty snide remarks, I expect it. I see a lot of bigotry and racism here and MFP should be ashamed for letting it continue.

i agree with you on everything but having this locked. its good for people to discuss this. if anything it exposes the racists.

You mean the people blindly defending Martin because he was black?
  • moosegt35
    Options
    How do you know that? One good slam of your head into the concrete can't kill you? How is he to know AMrtin was going to stop slamming him? You know nothing about this case, yet have an opinion. CNN much? No, you can't start a fight and then shoot someone. That isn't even close to what happened so that is also irrelevant. Do you have any smart responses to this or will you just continue with ingorance?

lol lady arent yoiu the one thats scared to go to New York city? if so that explains all your answers in this thread.

I am not scared of any city, I just don't enjoy big cities so I have no reason to go.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Any opinions on his father being a Judge? Could that have an advantage on the case?
  • shelialou66
    Options
    I did report it smart one.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't even been following any of this.

Why?

Because I really and truly couldn't care less.

There are more important things for me to worry about and whether or not some guy is going to go to jail for killing some punk is really, really way far down on that list.

This. The reason I even started reading the thread is because I love the drama. Remember the popcorn meme? Yeah that too. What I am most interested in is how people make judgements when we all know there are things that are unknown about the situation. You weren't called on to be a part of the jury, so why do you judge? That is what the jurists are charged to do. It's no wonder the world is in the shape it is in when everyone has such strong opinions based on whatever the media has fed you. As for post-verdict riots? That's just more of the same. It's people who don't know the whole story making a judgement and then acting upon it as though it is truth.

Show's over, folks. Move on. Even I got bored reading other people's judgements and opinions after about page 4.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I think I'm more worried about the potential repercussions. 'Stand your grown' is a very flippy-floppy kind of law that applies to some but not others. There are too many inconsistencies.

'In Winter Springs, Owen Eugene Whitlock came home on Christmas Eve 2009 to find his daughter's boyfriend, Jose Ramirez, angrily stalking up his driveway, flexing his muscles and swinging his fists. Whitlock stood his ground and fired a fatal shot. He was not charged.

In Clearwater, Terry Tyrone Davis shot and killed his cousin as he stalked up the walkway of Davis' home in 2010 with a group of friends. "There's no doubt he was going over there to kick his a--,'' Circuit Judge Philip J. Federico said, "but that does not allow you to kill a guy." Davis is now serving 25 years in prison. '

(Source: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/florida-stand-your-ground-law-yields-some-shocking-outcomes-depending-on/1233133)

No SYG is a well defined law that draws a distinct legal line. It removes the obligation of a potential victim to retreat first. Basically if there is a reasonable belief of an unlawful threat, the person can stand and meet the threat with deadly force.

Here in Texas, if you pull your weapon, a law has been broken, either by you or the person who provoked the action.

So the cases in that article, and others similar to it on a simple 'stand your ground cases' search on Google, prove that it's a 'well-defined law'? I think we beg to differ on that. What is different about those two cases I quoted above that one was able to be set free and the other was sent to jail? The judge admitted that the guy was about to be beaten. Why wasn't he able to defend himself?

The law needs fixing.

Because you can never know you are "about to be beaten" the person could change their mind. You can't defend yourself BEFORE a crime is commited.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm just fascinated by how many people are ignoring the fact that it was Martin who attacked Zimmerman while he was getting BACK in his car and the growing amount of evidence and testimonies from the police and reports that support Zimmerman's story. :noway:
    Facts are facts.

if you have been followed and that person is going back to their car...they could being going for a gun in their glove compartment...maybe treyvon didnt want to give him that chance.

GZ should have never got out of his car. if he wants to play wanna be cop..he should have called it in and just sat there.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    My mom drives a silver car.

My bad, I thought we were talking about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

if you cant understand how racial profiling plays into this then that further explains why you have the opinions you do.

He may have been racially profiled, and that is wrong and I disagree with doing it. It still doesn't give him a right to ATTACK someone. He could have told him to F off and kept walking and he would be alive. He chose to attack and got a Darwin award.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Y'all are getting way too angry over this. Have a :flowerforyou: and some coffee to make your morning brighter :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think that it was sh*tty for NBC News to turn this into a race thing before that day even ended, and because they manipulated Zimmerman's 911 call, they have lost a huge amount of credibility.
    I think that Zimmerman has been characterized as a racist, which I do not believe. Is he a overzealous *kitten* that took the law into his own hands, abso-f'ing-lutely.
    I believe that Jesse Jackson is feeding the machine by talking mainly about race.
    I truly believe that if Zimmerman is found not guilty, that there will be riots.

I cannot wait until the day that Jesse and Al are too old to stand on their soapboxes and take advantage of families that are grieving. Wherever there's a camera, a little injustice (warranted or not), and a black mother crying, you will def see one of them standing next to her. Where are they when it comes to black on black crime? WHY DOES THAT NOT MATTER TO THEM???

Where are the rally's, walks, protests...etc, in Chicago?! There were 67 people shot, and 11 of them dead over this July 4th holiday weekend. 67 shot, 11 dead.

As of 7/8/13, there have been 1043 people shot in Chicago. That number would be absolutely ridiculous if it was state wide...but it's just in one city!!

Where are the 'leaders' of the black community'? They'd rather get in front of the camera for 1 dead kid that was shot by a Hispanic guy (yep...he's not white, but the media likes to portray him to be. It makes a better story), than go a bit north to see what they can do to stop the bull$hit that's happening in Chicago. The camera's are in Sanford, FL, not in Chicago, IL.

It is very, very sad what has happened to Trayvon Martin. I have a son, and cannot imagine the hurt the family is going through. But I can't see how anyone that is not sitting in this courtroom, day after day, can say that they hope the verdict goes one way or the other. What is that based on. You only know what you've heard on TV and what has been told to you by the media. The only people that can judge this correctly based on ALL THE FACTS, is the jury.

(me thinks I've probably pissed some people off....so I offer to them, a flower :flowerforyou: )

QFT!

And lets not forget the 5 black on black murders in Indy over the last 4 days. Indy is getting up there with one or more murders daily.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think I'm more worried about the potential repercussions. 'Stand your grown' is a very flippy-floppy kind of law that applies to some but not others. There are too many inconsistencies.

'In Winter Springs, Owen Eugene Whitlock came home on Christmas Eve 2009 to find his daughter's boyfriend, Jose Ramirez, angrily stalking up his driveway, flexing his muscles and swinging his fists. Whitlock stood his ground and fired a fatal shot. He was not charged.

In Clearwater, Terry Tyrone Davis shot and killed his cousin as he stalked up the walkway of Davis' home in 2010 with a group of friends. "There's no doubt he was going over there to kick his a--,'' Circuit Judge Philip J. Federico said, "but that does not allow you to kill a guy." Davis is now serving 25 years in prison. '

(Source: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/florida-stand-your-ground-law-yields-some-shocking-outcomes-depending-on/1233133)

No SYG is a well defined law that draws a distinct legal line. It removes the obligation of a potential victim to retreat first. Basically if there is a reasonable belief of an unlawful threat, the person can stand and meet the threat with deadly force.

Here in Texas, if you pull your weapon, a law has been broken, either by you or the person who provoked the action.

So the cases in that article, and others similar to it on a simple 'stand your ground cases' search on Google, prove that it's a 'well-defined law'? I think we beg to differ on that. What is different about those two cases I quoted above that one was able to be set free and the other was sent to jail? The judge admitted that the guy was about to be beaten. Why wasn't he able to defend himself?

The law needs fixing.

Youre confusing the written law with it's interpretation and application.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Third, this was a 6', 17 year old young man. Martin was hardly a 'child'. He was the one who came at Zimmerman first. He was beating the crap out of Zimmerman, the police photos and medical documents prove that.

Fourth, sorry but it was self-defense.

Size isn't the issue. Age is. Seventeen is a child. How mature were you at that age? I am the mother of an 18-year-old college student. I know her friends. They are still children.

As for self-defense/stand your ground, considering that Zimmerman was following Trayvon, couldn't the prosecution make a case that TRAYVON was standing his ground? Zimmerman is responsible by his actions for what happened. Now someone is dead. Had he at the very least remained in his vehicle, this would not have happened.

No because you can't stand your ground against someone walking behind you. Someone walking isn't a threat to your life. Beating your head into the ground is. You should really read up on laws.

Tell that to the person being followed for no reason at all. Have you ever been followed on a dark night to the point you were afraid for your life or well-being? Have you ever felt the need to defend yourself from that threat? In defending yourself, if at some point you end up on top, beating your pursuers head into the ground, do you deserve to be killed? What would you expect to happen to the person who followed you (causing the entire confrontation) and killed you?

There was an incident here a few years ago where a man was walking home from work after midnight. He was followed for several blocks by another man. Eventually, the second man (who was armed) got close enough to the man walking home and attempted to rob him. A struggled ensued and the would-be-robber was eventually over-powered by the would-be-victim. The victim put the robber in a choke hold and held him there until police arrived. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene. The victim wasn't charged as it was deemed self-defense. If the situation were slightly different and the victim (even after having the upper hand at one point) ended up stabbed, bleeding out and dead wouldn't you expect the robber to be charged to the fullest extent of the law? Does the fact that he was getting beat up suddenly make him the victim?? Does the fact the Zimmerman was getting beat up at one point make him any less of a threat to the person he was following?

This whole tragedy could have been avoided if he had stayed in his car as instructed.

Amen girl! He could've turn the other cheek!

And so could Martin, but he chose to ATTACK someone, not follow them but ATTACK them. But it's not his fault.

Nope, Trayvon can now rest in peace and leave his killer to deal with this mess!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Size isn't the issue. Age is. Seventeen is a child. How mature were you at that age? I am the mother of an 18-year-old college student. I know her friends. They are still children.

As for self-defense/stand your ground, considering that Zimmerman was following Trayvon, couldn't the prosecution make a case that TRAYVON was standing his ground? Zimmerman is responsible by his actions for what happened. Now someone is dead. Had he at the very least remained in his vehicle, this would not have happened.
    [/quote]

I completed basic training at 17. Comment about immature at that age is irrelevant. According to his parents they thought he was mature enough to be on the streets at 2 am.
  • moosegt35
    Options

I think this in one of the most intelligent posts in this thread.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    My mom drives a silver car.

My bad, I thought we were talking about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

if you cant understand how racial profiling plays into this then that further explains why you have the opinions you do.

He may have been racially profiled, and that is wrong and I disagree with doing it. It still doesn't give him a right to ATTACK someone. He could have told him to F off and kept walking and he would be alive. He chose to attack and got a Darwin award.

Darwin award? that means its good for society that his genes are no longer to be passed on. wow lady...just wow.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I completed basic training at 17. Comment about immature at that age is irrelevant. According to his parents they thought he was mature enough to be on the streets at 2 am.
    [/quote]

I also completed basic training at 17. I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan at the age of 18 for 2 years. I agree that age & maturity is irrelevant.