Would you charge your parents rent?

Options

Replies

• x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your mother. Mine was a bad one from the day she found out she was pregnant to the day she died, so I would have. If it would have been a good one, I wouldn't have charged.

I hear you on that one. I would SO charge my mom. Our relationship hasn't been good since I was 12. I'm 21 now. We don't even talk now.

My dad? Baller as h3ll!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. If my mother was such a bad mother that I would feel entitled to charge her, I would let her stay with me on a short-term basis to get on her feet but help her find her own place to live. I would not charge her.

Assuming the mother in question is someone who is welcome to live there for the long-term, no way. Stay for the long-term and relax. If she wants to contribute, she can always go grocery shopping or cook or babysit or whatever she is physically capable of doing.

I would personally never dream of charging either of my parents.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    No way.

BUT I would take full advantage of the built-in baby-sitting availability.

This
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'll go against the grain. I'd say it depends on the financial situation of the parent. If they are well off and just want to live near their child and their family, it don't see it as any kind of travesty. If the parent doesn't have a lot of extra cash and the child has plenty, then no.

It all depends on where the financial strains appear (child or parent), the strength and nature of the relationship and a dozen other factors. In other words, each situation would vary greatly from situation to situation.
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No, I would not charge my parents rent. For one, they raised me without asking for a penny. And yes, once I started working I helped pitch in but I also had a child at a young age so felt like as a parent I should contribute to the household. And my parents have always been there for me, helped me when I needed it, and not just with money. I feel like if you can afford to have them live with you for free you should.

A friend of mine has her mother live in the finished basement in their house with her husband and three children. She was the only child and her father has passed. The grandmother helps care for the kids a couple days a week and helps run them to school and activities but she wants to. She also spends the smaller amount of her income on the kids every month. So in turn she pays nothing.
    Sounds like a good exchange to me.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I would expect her to help out with the kids and around the house as long as she was able.
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    I know someone who was trying to do this and they kept trying to convince me that their mother wouldn't feel independent if she didn't pay for her stay. He was trying to tell me he was doing it so she wouldn't feel like she was being a burden. He wanted to charge her $1000 per month.

The relationship was never close, but there wasn't any real conflict between them. He did have a disagreement with his father and decided to not talk to both his father and mother for many years until he found out that his father was on his deathbed.
  • Jaine86
    Jaine86 Posts: 36
    Options
    NO I'd defidently not charge my mum to stay with me.
    I'd guarantee Id come home with her doing the cleaning, moving furniture around and probably cooking (those are things shes always doing at hers ) BUT I wouldnt complain about the cooking, mums cooking is way better then mine!
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    never
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    If they were having financial trouble and I could help, no I would not charge them. If it was some other scenario it would depend.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes, about $500. :smokin:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever, ever.

Ever.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Situation (not my own situation):

You are doing well financially (mortgage paid off, you and your spouse have high paying/stable jobs etc.). You have 4 children that are all under the age of 10. You let your mom live in your finished basement after your dad passes away. Her only income is from the government (pension/benefits) which is around $800-1200 per month.

Would you charge her RENT?

IF ...

Yes - Then how much would you charge her ?

No - Tell us why, is it wrong ?

BE HONEST ....

tnxs.

i suppose I could ask her for rent if I paid her back every single she spent raising me.

what's the reason behind this post, and cut the BS about it being someone else's situation..why are you posting on a fitness forum about charing your mom rent?
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    No, if my mom needed to stay with me, she can do so for free. She didn't charge me for the years I stayed with her.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I charge my mom rent,she wanted to move in with me but I needed a bigger house for her to do that. She covers some.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    No charging your mom!!! She didn't charge you for the first 18 years (or maybe even longer) she had you living with her. Cripes. That's what family's for.
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    Situation (not my own situation):

You are doing well financially (mortgage paid off, you and your spouse have high paying/stable jobs etc.). You have 4 children that are all under the age of 10. You let your mom live in your finished basement after your dad passes away. Her only income is from the government (pension/benefits) which is around $800-1200 per month.

Would you charge her RENT?

IF ...

Yes - Then how much would you charge her ?

No - Tell us why, is it wrong ?

BE HONEST ....

tnxs.

i suppose I could ask her for rent if I paid her back every single she spent raising me.

what's the reason behind this post, and cut the BS about it being someone else's situation..why are you posting on a fitness forum about charing your mom rent?

You've never asked a question about a situation that wasn't your own? There is no BS. I am a witness to this situation.

btw, this is the "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" section not the "Fitness and Exercise" section.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Depends on the relationship...but on principle...no.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No, though I wonder why the hell a zombie is getting government money and I can't get hired anywhere.
  • briannaaclark1
    Options
    Absolutely not. She is my mother and she raised me my entire life. If she needs a place to live, she can always count on me.
    At the very least, I'd say you could ask her to help out with light household chores or childcare though. It's not much to ask and you do have four kids.