Would you charge your parents rent?

Options

Replies

• 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    What nooooooo if u and wifey had money issues and supporting another adult was difficult then yeah mom should kick down with some help for food and bills but in your situation just sounds greedy. I hope u were speaking hypothetically or for a friend and not so insensitive that u would charge mommy rent on her low income after losing daddy.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    NEVER
  • NeverTooLateForChange
    NeverTooLateForChange Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER charge parents or parents-in-law rent. If ever it becomes a financial hardship to you then you can ask siblings or other family members to contribute funds to supplement the cost of her care but Never ask her for the money. If she insists on contributing, set the money aside in a money market account and use it to send her on vacation or treat her to something awesome like a mother-son cruise or cross country road trip.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    it really really depends.

I don't buy the argument "no, after all my parents did for me, i wouldn't charge them rent".

In my culture (and i understand that there are cultural differences), that is what parents DO. you are a parent- then you sleep little for the first few years of your child's life, you change millions of diapers,you support/feed/cloth/house/love/support your children, you play thousands of silly games and read the same books 4 billion times. that's is what your job is and you don't get paid for it.

It's not a given that it is my job to then support MY parents. it's not a payback/"i owe you".

Yes my parents raised me and clothed me and put a roof over my head. However, my parents also made extremely stupid and bad financial choices that have affected my siblings and myself. since *I* don't want to be a burden on *my* child, I would have to think if i would allow my paernt to live with me rent-free. And at the same time, if you are planning to use the parent as a built-in baby sitter, that tacks on other aspects...

To be honest - I don't know if i would even want my parent to live with me. If i was able to help them out financially i might prefer tohelp them pay their rent and not have them live with me. but if i was in the situation described in the OP (which I am not), I don't know if i would specifically charge rent - but I might charge for the utilities and/or food.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i say, yes. a small enough amount that she can still live comfortably but a large enough amount that she still feels like 1) she has her dignity and isn't a charity case, 2) that she feels like her rooms are her own and that she's not just a guest, 3) that she never feels the guilt of feeling like a drain on her family or that she owes them something.

moot point really. no way in hell would i ever live with my crazyarse mother.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If I was well off financially, and my mom only took in that small amount of money, I would never charge her rent. It sounds like a situation that might be emotionally humbling for her too, a step down from being in her own home. I would want her to feel welcome. She could pay for he own food and other personal items.

The only time I would charge rent would be if I was strapped financially. Then I would appreciate something from her. But that isn't the situation you are describing.

Mothers give up everything for their kids over many years. This is an opportunity to give something back to her.

Totally agree.. well said ....
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Nooooo
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No way.

BUT I would take full advantage of the built-in baby-sitting availability.

This!
    Now that i don't agree with ... love my 9 grandchildren ... but there is a life after bringing up your own children .. Why at our age are we expected to do it all over again .
    Personally I could not live with my children ... in our senior years we need our own space . :wink:
    Please don't take my comment personally , just my thoughts on the topic .:flowerforyou:
  • MarianneC93
    MarianneC93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No because it sounds like she's going through a tough time and she brought you up for years so perhaps you owe her? BUT I would get her to babysit 1 night a week :) Payment sorted :D
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt even charge her rent if i wasnt fine financially i stayed in my moms house for 18+ years for free i would make her help out with groceries tho
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    In the situation you described, NO, not in a million years.

If we were both struggling either one of my parents would contribute anyway, so no in that situation too.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't no, unless she was being a pain in the butt :P ( I joke)
    She let me live in her home rent free when I had no job, so if she has no job, she also does not have to pay me rent in my home. Fairs fair.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would love to have my parents around to live with me and most certainly wouldn't charge them rent. Sadly both have passed away.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Did your mother charge you rent when she carried you in her womb?
    Did your parents claim lost income when they took care of you, if eg they were self employed or on a commission wage?
    Did they charge you for the money they spent on your clothes and food etc when they raised you?

Nobody is that shallow or broke theat they charge their own parents rent.
  • jtsledhead
    Options
    For all the things my parents did and went without for us.................no freaking way!!!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i wonder if the NO people are considering what it would do to her confidence and pride.

it's not true of all mothers but it's true of a lot. sometimes the cruelest thing families do is put their own need to feel kind above an elderly relative's need to feel like a contributer. we all know how uncomfortable it can be to feel indebted to someone, and no amount of assurances eases it.
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No way. I could not imagine charging my care once upon a time care takers who let me stay rent free for 18 years +. Yes, they were obligated and likewise you owe them the same obligation in return. If they really need a place to stay, in my opinion, making sure your parents are well taken care of, takes priority over you getting some rent. I could never think to ask my parents that question, never.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep I would. Life is not a free ride & just cause someone is on a gov payment does not entitle anyone to anything. This persons mum you are talking about gets as much as I do per month...and I have to support my 19yo son & myself on that, food, bills, clothing.

He'll yeah I'd charge her.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Definitely not, I'm assuming the parent didn't charge rent to the kid while he/she was residing in the family home...

Most teens+ do though, don't they? I always have paid ALOT (and my food etc on top as I do my own shops, cooking etc and then other personal bills like car,phone, etc) . I still wouldn't charge either parent, unless they also had a stable job though as they covered me when I didn't have a job.